Old 10-15-2011, 02:08 PM
Ranjan Maitra

Default undelete files

On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 08:45:05 -0500 Timothy Murphy <gayleard@eircom.net>
wrote:

> Timothy Murphy wrote:
>
> > Adel ESSAFI wrote:
> >
> >> if I delete some files with rm; is it possible to restore them?
> >
> > I recently undeleted some photos, using testdisk.
> > Basically, you have to specify what kind of files you are looking for.
> > In my case I specified JPG.
> >
> > The process worked well, recovering dozens of JPG files,
> > including those I was looking for.
> > But I found the testdisk documentation almost completely unintelligible.
>
> Looking again, I see that
> <http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk:_undelete_file_for_ext2>
> explains reasonably clearly what to do.

Thanks very much! I stand corrected from my previous answer which
appears to have been out of inadequate knowledge. So, how does one
"really delete" a file then?

This is one more reason I am such a fan of this mailing list!

Ranjan

Old 10-15-2011, 03:32 PM
Andre Robatino

Ranjan Maitra <maitra <at> iastate.edu> writes:

> Thanks very much! I stand corrected from my previous answer which
> appears to have been out of inadequate knowledge. So, how does one
> "really delete" a file then?

See the shred, srm, or wipe packages.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:12 PM
Tim

Ranjan Maitra <maitra <at> iastate.edu>:
>> Thanks very much! I stand corrected from my previous answer which
>> appears to have been out of inadequate knowledge. So, how does one
>> "really delete" a file then?

By using Windows, and not wanting it delete your files... :-

Andre Robatino:
> See the shred, srm, or wipe packages.

Though, they can't be relied upon with journalled file systems. Even
without that, subsequent writes aren't guaranteed to write over the top
of prior files. You'd need to fill the drive, to hope to overwrite all
the blocks.

Encrypted file systems are the best options for making it hard for
someone else to undelete your file. At best, they should only be able
to salvage un-usable scrambled encrypted data, rather than a file.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.