Old 07-08-2008, 10:57 PM
stabbyjones

Default heaps possible of conf/multimedia/codec/xorg troubles

before i can log a bug i need to work out what's going on. is there a
system log i can check for a system freeze? i've never had such a
harsh crash before.

when i'm playing videos my computer locks up and goes blank. X crashed
to a commandline once so i thought it may be my xorg, dpkg-reconfigure
xorg-xserver to a basic conf did nothing.

i thought it was the new 8.6 ati driver but it does the same with 8.4.

i thought it was the debian-multimedia packages because the thumbnails
of everything possible to thumbnail went green after a
gstreamer-ffmpeg update. removing all deb-multi packages and going
back back to official helped the thumbnails but didn't help playback
crashes.

i've used totem-gstreamer, totem-xine, vlc, mplayer all were able to
play sometimes but most were either green or audio only.

totem-xine was probably the best at playing correctly but since i've
been playing around it crashes on almost every video and i'm not sure
which log i can check for errors.

i've been trying to work out why this is happening but i never had to
bother with playing multimedia before so i'm a bit lost.

at worst i'll just reinstall a fresh system as my data and home are
all on seperate partitions. i just wanted to see if anyone has any
ideas before giving up.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:12 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 07-08-2008, 11:38 PM
Lachlan

thanks, i'll give the log a look when i get home and see what i can find.
the vesa driver was one thing i forgot so i'll look into that was well.

this was my first ATI card and it's worked quite well for the 6 months
since i bought it. this last week has been the first major issue i've
had.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:44 AM
stabbyjones

heres how i fixed it.

-after checking the 'Xorg.0.log' log one thing i noticed was a warning
that direct rendering hadn't loaded which is strange as i'd made sure
it was running when i started playing around yesterday. it may have
been from me changing the ati (fglrx) driver from 8.6 to 8.4 and
something being left behind.

-completely removed all debian-multimedia (just made sure there was
nothing left from returning to testing), gstreamer, ati, totem, vlc
and mplayer packages. as well as anything else i didn't like the look
of also removing config files.

-reinstalled gstreamer, totem, vlc and made sure there was no ati
package. (as i decided to try radeonhd)

-ran dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg to get a new xorg.conf and let X
decide what driver to use.

#reboot

-checked Xorg.0.log and while i didn't care about direct rendering the
xserver had found my ati card and choosen the radeonhd driver as i'd
deleted all the ati drivers to make sure it was chosen

thumbnails seem okay. totem-xine will play everything again which
rocks as well as no crashing. vlc and totem-gstreamer are still giving
me problems but the fact that i can play every type of video i have
without crashing x means it's solved.

so woo, think this would probably be an xorg.conf issue and possibly
a few broken packages.
thanks for pointing me to the xorg log or i would have been stuck.

i'll try the official ati driver again and see if that changes
anything but thanks again for you help.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:17 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

stabbyjones wrote:

[...]

What changes were made before the freezes occurred?
Like, I get freezes with Debian's 2.6.25
(http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=482074) but not when I
compile the 2.6.25.9 kernel myself.

Hugo

Old 07-09-2008, 08:55 PM
stabbyjones

2008/7/10 Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com>:
> stabbyjones wrote:
>>
>> before i can log a bug i need to work out what's going on. is there a
>> system log i can check for a system freeze? i've never had such a
>> harsh crash before.
>>
>> when i'm playing videos my computer locks up and goes blank. X crashed
>> to a commandline once so i thought it may be my xorg, dpkg-reconfigure
>> xorg-xserver to a basic conf did nothing.
>>
>> i thought it was the new 8.6 ati driver but it does the same with 8.4.
>>
>> i thought it was the debian-multimedia packages because the thumbnails
>> of everything possible to thumbnail went green after a
>> gstreamer-ffmpeg update. removing all deb-multi packages and going
>> back back to official helped the thumbnails but didn't help playback
>> crashes.
>>
>> i've used totem-gstreamer, totem-xine, vlc, mplayer all were able to
>> play sometimes but most were either green or audio only.
>>
>> totem-xine was probably the best at playing correctly but since i've
>> been playing around it crashes on almost every video and i'm not sure
>> which log i can check for errors.
>>
>> i've been trying to work out why this is happening but i never had to
>> bother with playing multimedia before so i'm a bit lost.
>>
>> at worst i'll just reinstall a fresh system as my data and home are
>> all on seperate partitions. i just wanted to see if anyone has any
>> ideas before giving up.
>>

> What changes were made before the freezes occurred?
> Like, I get freezes with Debian's 2.6.25
> (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=482074) but not when I
> compile the 2.6.25.9 kernel myself.
>
> Hugo

i've been running 2.6.24 the whole time so it's probably not related.
i think i'd given it a lot of clutter over the past week. there were
driver xorg and codec updates which were all possible breaks.

i think i worked the freezes down to x looking for an incomplete ati
driver and crashing on vx playback. while cleaning up deb-multimedia
packages that may have also been causing issues.

checking /var/log/Xorg.0.log and Xorg.0.log.old pointed me to the
display driver working incorrectly.