Old 07-08-2008, 07:00 PM
Bob Cox

Default Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 r3 "Etch" – Official i386 NETINST Binary-1 20080218-14:15

On Tue, Jul 08, 2008 at 20:17:05 +0200, Pol Hallen (deben@fuckaround.org) wrote:

> > There's nothing wrong with the disk, since it was fine for the first
> > installation. Is 64 MB just not enough memory?
> Yep :-)
> debian installer needs almost 128Mb of ram :-(
> U can try with old debian (potato?) and upgrade to actually stable.

I have successfully installed Lenny (testing) with IceWM on a very old
laptop which has only 64MB RAM. Yes, it was slow, but it worked ok,
apart from the touchpad which would *not* work at all.

http://www.uk.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch03s04.html.en suggests
that as little as 48MB is sufficient.