Old 07-07-2008, 07:57 PM
Jan Willem Stumpel

Default CUPS vs lpd (was Giving up on Iceweasel 3.0) SOLVED

Filing the bug
(http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=489765)
immediately produced an answer: you have to enter

gtk-print-backends = "file,lpr,cups"

in ~/.gtkrc-2.0.

Then lpr printing works with standard Debian packages. I think it
is a bug that this is not done automatically, or at least with
some warning during install. Anthony, I hope that this will work
in your case.

It will need some more research to find out why it worked by
default with the user-compiled versions, but I think I won't be
bothered.

Regards, Jan

Old 07-07-2008, 08:49 PM
Sven Arvidsson

> It will need some more research to find out why it worked by
> default with the user-compiled versions, but I think I won't be
> bothered.

Probably because it was simply built without support for cups and
automatically picked lpr?

Here's another bug report about the same problem,
http://bugs.debian.org/373911

BTW, when comparing a debian package with the upstream default it's
usually best to start by examining the debian sources, both the patches
and the way it's configured and built. This is very easy as the debian
specific changes (diff.gz) are clearly separated from the upstream
source (orig.tar.gz).

HTH,

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson

Old 07-08-2008, 09:10 AM
Anthony Campbell

On 07 Jul 2008, Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:
> Filing the bug
> (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=489765)
> immediately produced an answer: you have to enter
>
> gtk-print-backends = "file,lpr,cups"
>
> in ~/.gtkrc-2.0.
>
> Then lpr printing works with standard Debian packages. I think it
> is a bug that this is not done automatically, or at least with
> some warning during install. Anthony, I hope that this will work
> in your case.
>
> It will need some more research to find out why it worked by
> default with the user-compiled versions, but I think I won't be
> bothered.
>
> Regards, Jan

It does, it does! Thank you for pointing me to this.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
and sceptical articles)