-   -   network help (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/120576-network-help.html)

Jerry Geis 07-07-2008 05:17 PM

network help

I am using debian etch.
my network is not working.
When I do lsmod it shows 8139too,8139cp
(I only have 1 network connection).
When I rmmod 8139too and rmmod 8139cp then modprobe 8139too It is detected.
I then /etc/init.d/networking restart and I still have no network.

When I init 1, basically do the rmmod above and modprobe 8139too then
init 3

my network is fine.

Where can I look as to why my network is not coming up correctly.

I tried to blacklist 8139cp but that made no difference.

I am booting debian from a USB thumbdrive.

Thanks,
Jerry

Ron Johnson 07-07-2008 07:33 PM

network help

Jerry Geis 07-07-2008 07:43 PM

network help

Ron Johnson wrote:

When I rmmod 8139too and rmmod 8139cp then modprobe 8139too It is detected.
I then /etc/init.d/networking restart and I still have no network.

When I init 1, basically do the rmmod above and modprobe 8139too then
init 3
my network is fine.

Where can I look as to why my network is not coming up correctly.

I tried to blacklist 8139cp but that made no difference.

I am booting debian from a USB thumbdrive.

Open another terminal window (or flip to another vterm), and run:
tail -f /var/log/syslog

Then in the original "window", restart networking. The syslog
results may prove useful. Also look at "dmesg | tail".

- --

I found it /etc/udev/rules.d/something-network had 2 entries on for the
8139cp and one for the 8139too.

I removed the 8139cp and change 8139too to be eth0 and it started
working...

Thanks,

Jerry