FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Luc Saffre
 
Default alsaconf says "No supported PnP or PCI card found"

Hello,

I just bought a desktop PC with a GeForce6100SM-M mainboard whose
NVIDIA MCP61S chipset is "High Definition Audio Specification 1.0
compliant". I installed the latest stable Debian (2.6.18-6-486),
everything worked well so far... except that there is no sound.

alsaconf says "No supported PnP or PCI card found"

I added a line "alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel" to
/etc/modutils/alsa-base and ran update-modules (after reading
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Module-hda-intel), but
without result.


Here are some things I tried:

# /etc/init.d/alsa reload
Unloading ALSA sound driver modules: (none loaded).
Loading ALSA sound driver modules: (none to reload).

# lspci | grep Audio
00:05.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP61 High
Definition Audio (rev 2a)

# lsmod|grep snd
# (no output)

There is no directory /proc/asound

I checked whether the normal user is in the audio group:
# groups milvi
# milvi : milvi dialout cdrom floppy audio video plugdev
netdev powerdev

I'd be glad if somebody can help me! I'm willing to learn and not really
new to Debian, but audio configuration seems complex.


Luc


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-07-2008, 12:21 PM
Nigel Henry
 
Default alsaconf says "No supported PnP or PCI card found"

On Monday 07 July 2008 12:19, Luc Saffre wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just bought a desktop PC with a GeForce6100SM-M mainboard whose
> NVIDIA MCP61S chipset is "High Definition Audio Specification 1.0
> compliant". I installed the latest stable Debian (2.6.18-6-486),
> everything worked well so far... except that there is no sound.
>
> alsaconf says "No supported PnP or PCI card found"
<big snip>
> Luc

Hi Luc. I've just recently built a new machine with an Asus M2N-X Plus mobo,
which has Geforce 6100, and MCP61 southbridge. I havn't got Etch installed
on, but sound is working ok with Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon, Archlinux "Don't
Panic", and Fedora 8. One thing to check is that the Azalia codec is set to
"auto" in the BIOS, and not disabled.

It could also be that the alsa driver, alsa-utils, and alsa-lib arn't recent
enough on your Etch install. I've got Etch on a different machine, and no
problems with sound, but that's with an Audigy2 soundblaster card, but
according to cat /proc/asound/version the alsa driver is only 1.0.12rc1.

My Kubuntu GG install, where sound works has version 1.0.15 (still a bit old),
and that's with a 2.6.22-15-generic (SMP) kernel.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Nigel.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-07-2008, 12:26 PM
Pol Hallen
 
Default alsaconf says "No supported PnP or PCI card found"

> alsaconf says "No supported PnP or PCI card found"
Hi :-)

I'm not sure, but I can try with module-assistant and compile alsa-drivers by
yourself and try again.

Pol


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-07-2008, 03:15 PM
Chris Lale
 
Default alsaconf says "No supported PnP or PCI card found"

Luc Saffre wrote:
[...]
>
> # lspci | grep Audio
> 00:05.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP61 High
> Definition Audio (rev 2a)

Do you have built-in sound /and/ a plug-in sound card? grep may have missed a
second device. Try using "lspci | grep audio" (lowercase "a") or inspecting the
full output of lspci [1].

Do you need to enable on-board sound in the BIOS?

If you have got an old sound card you could plug in, see whether alsaconf
detects that.

I believe that alsaconf used to have some problems in Etch. You could try
running the Lenny or Sid Debian Live CD to see whether up-to-date Debian
recognises your chip. [2]

[1]
http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/wiki/Sound_in_Debian_GNU/Linux#Choose_and_configure_a_card
[2] http://debian-live.alioth.debian.org/

--
Chris.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-07-2008, 03:26 PM
Thierry Chatelet
 
Default alsaconf says "No supported PnP or PCI card found"

On Monday 07 July 2008 17:15:07 Chris Lale wrote:
> Luc Saffre wrote:
> [...]
>
> > # lspci | grep Audio
> > 00:05.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP61 High
> > Definition Audio (rev 2a)
>
> Do you have built-in sound /and/ a plug-in sound card? grep may have missed
> a second device. Try using "lspci | grep audio" (lowercase "a") or
> inspecting the full output of lspci [1].
>
> Do you need to enable on-board sound in the BIOS?
>
> If you have got an old sound card you could plug in, see whether alsaconf
> detects that.
>
> I believe that alsaconf used to have some problems in Etch. You could try
> running the Lenny or Sid Debian Live CD to see whether up-to-date Debian
> recognises your chip. [2]
>
> [1]
> http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/wiki/Sound_in_Debian_GNU/Linux#Choose_and_confi
>gure_a_card [2] http://debian-live.alioth.debian.org/
>
> --
> Chris.

I installed some time ago a MCP61 on etch. First time, it was not 'out of the
box', needed to had a line in alsa.conf. But later alsa drivers was updated
and the sound carte was installable with alsaconf without any problem. This
was about a year ago. So it should still work now. Sorry I can give more
explanation, I dont have that MB any longer. But it is at a friend place, and
I can eventually go there and have a look, but not today, maybe tomorrow....


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Florian Kulzer
 
Default alsaconf says "No supported PnP or PCI card found"

On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 13:19:18 +0300, Luc Saffre wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just bought a desktop PC with a GeForce6100SM-M mainboard whose
> NVIDIA MCP61S chipset is "High Definition Audio Specification 1.0
> compliant". I installed the latest stable Debian (2.6.18-6-486),
> everything worked well so far... except that there is no sound.
>
> alsaconf says "No supported PnP or PCI card found"

[...]

> # lspci | grep Audio
> 00:05.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP61 High
> Definition Audio (rev 2a)

I see two possible matches in pci.ids, device IDs 03e4 and 03f0. You can
check which one you have by using "-nn" with the lspci command:

lspci -nn | grep -i audio

You should see either [10de:03e4] or [10de:03f0]. (10de is the vendor ID
of nvidia.)

As far as I can tell, support for both these chipsets was added after
the 2.6.18 kernel was released, so you will need a newer kernel. Version
2.6.24 is available for Etch from backports.org; your sound should work
"out of the box" with this newer kernel. You can find details about
installing backports here:

http://www.backports.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=instructions

--
Regards, | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer
Florian |


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-08-2008, 06:15 AM
Luc Saffre
 
Default alsaconf says "No supported PnP or PCI card found"

Wow! Five helpful people answered to my problem! Before I posted this, I
had been searching the Internet and docs during many hours, and I felt
alone and frustrated... Thank you Nigel, Chris, Thierry, Pol and Florian.


My problem needed indeed "just" a kernel upgrade, here is the summary of
what I did:


# nano /etc/apt/sources.list
(then added the following line
deb http://www.backports.org/debian etch-backports main
contrib non-free
# aptitude install debian-backports-keyring
# aptitude upgrade
# aptitude install linux-image-2.6.25-2.486
# reboot

Luc


On 7.07.2008 13:19, Luc Saffre wrote:

Hello,

I just bought a desktop PC with a GeForce6100SM-M mainboard whose
NVIDIA MCP61S chipset is "High Definition Audio Specification 1.0
compliant". I installed the latest stable Debian (2.6.18-6-486),
everything worked well so far... except that there is no sound.

alsaconf says "No supported PnP or PCI card found"

I added a line "alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel" to
/etc/modutils/alsa-base and ran update-modules (after reading
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Module-hda-intel), but
without result.


Here are some things I tried:

# /etc/init.d/alsa reload
Unloading ALSA sound driver modules: (none loaded).
Loading ALSA sound driver modules: (none to reload).

# lspci | grep Audio
00:05.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP61 High
Definition Audio (rev 2a)

# lsmod|grep snd
# (no output)

There is no directory /proc/asound

I checked whether the normal user is in the audio group:
# groups milvi
# milvi : milvi dialout cdrom floppy audio video plugdev
netdev powerdev

I'd be glad if somebody can help me! I'm willing to learn and not really
new to Debian, but audio configuration seems complex.


Luc





--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Chris Bannister
 
Default alsaconf says "No supported PnP or PCI card found"

On Tue, Jul 08, 2008 at 09:15:48AM +0300, Luc Saffre wrote:
Hi,
[Please don't top post]

> Wow! Five helpful people answered to my problem! Before I posted this, I
> had been searching the Internet and docs during many hours, and I felt
> alone and frustrated... Thank you Nigel, Chris, Thierry, Pol and Florian.
>
> My problem needed indeed "just" a kernel upgrade, here is the summary of
> what I did:
>
> # nano /etc/apt/sources.list
> (then added the following line
> deb http://www.backports.org/debian etch-backports main
> contrib non-free
> # aptitude install debian-backports-keyring
> # aptitude upgrade
> # aptitude install linux-image-2.6.25-2.486
> # reboot

Is there no 2.6.25-2.686 flavour?

--
Chris.
======
"One, with God, is always a majority, but many a martyr has been burned
at the stake while the votes were being counted." -- Thomas B. Reed


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-10-2008, 05:24 AM
Luc Saffre
 
Default alsaconf says "No supported PnP or PCI card found"

On 9.07.2008 16:42, Chris Bannister wrote:

On Tue, Jul 08, 2008 at 09:15:48AM +0300, Luc Saffre wrote:

# aptitude install linux-image-2.6.25-2.486


Is there no 2.6.25-2.686 flavour?


There is, and also a 686-bigmem, but until today I didn't really pay
attention to kernel flavours. Thanks for the observation.

Luc


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:30 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org