Old 07-06-2008, 09:32 PM
Sven Joachim

Default AMD Sempron 64 bit kernel (Gateway laptop)?

On 2008-07-06 23:13 +0200, s. keeling wrote:

> Hi. I'm somewhat confused and in uncharted territory. I just bought
> this laptop second hand.
>
> Which kernel is this CPU supposed to be using? I've been testing with
> Sidux for the moment (2008-06 (?) 2.6.25-10). It refused to boot on
> their AMD images ("... detected i1586[sic] CPU.").
>
> This thing ought to be running an amd64 kernel, shouldn't it?

Not necessarily, AFAIK. Some of these Mobile Semprons don't support
64bit.

> "Mobile AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3300+" in /proc/cpuinfo, 800 Mhz.
> Gateway laptop.

Look under flags: it is a 64bit processor if and only if "lm" is present
there.

Sven

Old 07-06-2008, 09:33 PM
Bob Cox

On Sun, Jul 06, 2008 at 23:13:08 +0200, s. keeling (keeling@nucleus.com) wrote:

> Hi. I'm somewhat confused and in uncharted territory. I just bought
> this laptop second hand.
>
> Which kernel is this CPU supposed to be using? I've been testing with
> Sidux for the moment (2008-06 (?) 2.6.25-10). It refused to boot on
> their AMD images ("... detected i1586[sic] CPU.").
>
> This thing ought to be running an amd64 kernel, shouldn't it?
>
> "Mobile AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3300+" in /proc/cpuinfo, 800 Mhz.
> Gateway laptop.

The Sempron replaced the Duron and was very much entry level. It isn't
64 bit.

See
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_861_11546~88041,00.html
for more info.

HTH.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:57 PM
"s. keeling"

Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de>:
> On 2008-07-06 23:13 +0200, s. keeling wrote:
>
> > Hi. I'm somewhat confused and in uncharted territory. I just bought
> > this laptop second hand.
> >
> > Which kernel is this CPU supposed to be using? I've been testing with
> > Sidux for the moment (2008-06 (?) 2.6.25-10). It refused to boot on
> > their AMD images ("... detected i1586[sic] CPU.").
> >
> > This thing ought to be running an amd64 kernel, shouldn't it?
>
> Not necessarily, AFAIK. Some of these Mobile Semprons don't support
> 64bit.
>
> > "Mobile AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3300+" in /proc/cpuinfo, 800 Mhz.
> > Gateway laptop.
>
> Look under flags: it is a 64bit processor if and only if "lm" is present
> there.

"lahf_lm"?!?

Old 07-06-2008, 11:05 PM
"s. keeling"

Bob Cox <debian-user@lists.bobcox.com>:
> On Sun, Jul 06, 2008 at 23:13:08 +0200, s. keeling (keeling@nucleus.com) wrote:
>
> > Hi. I'm somewhat confused and in uncharted territory. I just bought
> > this laptop second hand.
> >
> > Which kernel is this CPU supposed to be using? I've been testing with
> > Sidux for the moment (2008-06 (?) 2.6.25-10). It refused to boot on
> > their AMD images ("... detected i1586[sic] CPU.").
> >
> > This thing ought to be running an amd64 kernel, shouldn't it?
> >
> > "Mobile AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3300+" in /proc/cpuinfo, 800 Mhz.
> > Gateway laptop.
>
> The Sempron replaced the Duron and was very much entry level. It isn't
> 64 bit.
>
> See
> http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_861_11546~88041,00.html
> for more info.

Perfect, thanks. It's AMD, but it's not 64 bit. Close enough for me.

"How do the Mobile AMD Sempron processors compare with Mobile AMD
Athlonu2122 64 processors?"

"Mobile AMD Sempron processors are tailored to the growing segment
of value-conscious PC users seeking a full-featured product with
best-in-class performance for the changing face of everyday
computing. Mobile AMD Athlon 64 processors are designed to meet
high-performance computing needs by providing outstanding 32-bit
performance today, plus capability for tomorrowu2019s 64-bit
applications."

What incredible marketroidspeak.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:38 AM
"David Fox"

On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 3:57 PM, s. keeling <keeling@nucleus.com> wrote:
> "lahf_lm"?!?

Supports LAHF in 64 bit mode, which is the closest I could find on
google. If you have that, I don't see why you wouldn't have lm as they
should go together, AFAIK.

With semprons you have to be careful if they'll support 64 bit mode.
Some will, some won't. Most later ones will as it was originally
designed to be a budget athlon.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:07 AM
"s. keeling"

David Fox <dfox94085@gmail.com>:
> On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 3:57 PM, s. keeling <keeling@nucleus.com> wrote:
> > "lahf_lm"?!?
>
> Supports LAHF in 64 bit mode, which is the closest I could find on

Thanks for your help. I guess this is an AMD (early) Celeron. :-)
Still, anice machine if a little oddly laid out for a lefty (dvd opens
on mousepad, ha!).

Old 07-08-2008, 12:23 AM
Ron Johnson