FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-05-2008, 09:37 PM
Andrei Popescu
 
Default Installing svk on lenny?

On Sat, Jul 05, 2008 at 02:16:49PM -0700, Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Im trying to install svk on a lenny system, but its not available in the
> lenny sources. A search of the package archives suggests that you can
> get it in Etch or unstable, but "apt-get install svk / stable" or
> "/ unstable" just says that svk is not available, but is referred by
> another package.
>
> Is there a version of it i can use, or a reason why its not longer available?

I think you need

apt-get install -t stable svk

and you must have sources for stable in your sources.list. Alternatively
you can probably get it from snapshot.debian.net.

Regards,
Andrei
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
(Albert Einstein)
 
Old 07-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Osamu Aoki
 
Default Installing svk on lenny?

On Sat, Jul 05, 2008 at 02:16:49PM -0700, Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Im trying to install svk on a lenny system, but its not available in the
> lenny sources. A search of the package archives suggests that you can
> get it in Etch or unstable, but "apt-get install svk / stable" or
> "/ unstable" just says that svk is not available, but is referred by
> another package.

There should be one comig to sid at your mirror soon.

Full story is:
http://packages.qa.debian.org/s/svk.html

> Is there a version of it i can use, or a reason why its not longer available?

When RC bug exists long time on a pacakage, package is removed from
testing and unstable.

http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=svk&searchon=names&suite=all&secti on=all

It is just uploaded to unstable. Try again!

Your problem of not installing stable version is unknown to me. Do you
have apt-line for stable in /etc/apt/sources.list?

Osamu


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-06-2008, 01:28 PM
Osamu Aoki
 
Default Installing svk on lenny?

Hi,

On Sun, Jul 06, 2008 at 12:37:42AM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 05, 2008 at 02:16:49PM -0700, Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Im trying to install svk on a lenny system, but its not available in the
> > lenny sources. A search of the package archives suggests that you can
> > get it in Etch or unstable, but "apt-get install svk / stable" or
> > "/ unstable" just says that svk is not available, but is referred by
> > another package.
> >
> > Is there a version of it i can use, or a reason why its not longer available?
>
> I think you need
>
> apt-get install -t stable svk

Thids is correct syntax but I think
apt-get install svk/stable
is also correct syntax.

I have not used it often but I see manpage in apt_preferences(5) mention
its usage as example. Maybe the insertion of space by the original
poster may be the cause of his problem. (I have not tested...)

> and you must have sources for stable in your sources.list. Alternatively
> you can probably get it from snapshot.debian.net.

That is the last resort indeed. But there should be easier way.

By the way, installing package from different release is somewhat
dangerous even for interpretted language program. So be careful.

Osamu


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-06-2008, 01:42 PM
"Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum"
 
Default Installing svk on lenny?

--- On Sun, 7/6/08, Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:

> From: Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>
> Subject: Re: Installing svk on lenny?
> To: "Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum" <bg271828@yahoo.com>
> Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Date: Sunday, July 6, 2008, 6:17 AM
> On Sat, Jul 05, 2008 at 02:16:49PM -0700, Dr. Jennifer
> Nussbaum wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Im trying to install svk on a lenny system, but its
> not available in the
> > lenny sources. A search of the package archives
> suggests that you can
> > get it in Etch or unstable, but "apt-get install
> svk / stable" or
> > "/ unstable" just says that svk is not
> available, but is referred by
> > another package.
>
> There should be one comig to sid at your mirror soon.
>
> Full story is:
> http://packages.qa.debian.org/s/svk.html
>
> > Is there a version of it i can use, or a reason why
> its not longer available?
>
> When RC bug exists long time on a pacakage, package is
> removed from
> testing and unstable.
>
> http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=svk&searchon=names&suite=all&secti on=all
>
> It is just uploaded to unstable. Try again!
>
> Your problem of not installing stable version is unknown to
> me. Do you
> have apt-line for stable in /etc/apt/sources.list?

Yes i do.

If i try to install from stable or unstable, i get the following message:

---
Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
that package should be filed.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
svk: Depends: liblocale-maketext-simple-perl (> 0.16)
E: Broken packages
---

if i try to install liblocale-maketext-simple-perl, it tries to uninstall
perl and everything based on it, and that would nuke my system so i dont
want to do it! Surely there's a way to get svk working?

Jen






--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Sven Joachim
 
Default Installing svk on lenny?

On 2008-07-06 15:42 +0200, Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum wrote:

> If i try to install from stable or unstable, i get the following message:
>
> ---
> Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
> the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
> that package should be filed.
> The following information may help to resolve the situation:
>
> The following packages have unmet dependencies:
> svk: Depends: liblocale-maketext-simple-perl (> 0.16)
> E: Broken packages

This means that your mirror is not up to date, the latest svk version
does not have that dependency. What does "apt-cache policy svk" print?

> if i try to install liblocale-maketext-simple-perl, it tries to uninstall
> perl and everything based on it, and that would nuke my system so i dont
> want to do it!

Yes. That was exactly the reason why svk got removed from testing.

> Surely there's a way to get svk working?

Indeed, install version 2.0.2-2 from unstable.

Sven


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-11-2008, 05:19 PM
Osamu Aoki
 
Default Installing svk on lenny?

On Sun, Jul 06, 2008 at 06:42:26AM -0700, Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum wrote:
>
> --- On Sun, 7/6/08, Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > From: Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>
> > Subject: Re: Installing svk on lenny?
> > To: "Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum" <bg271828@yahoo.com>
> > Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> > Date: Sunday, July 6, 2008, 6:17 AM
> > On Sat, Jul 05, 2008 at 02:16:49PM -0700, Dr. Jennifer
> > Nussbaum wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Im trying to install svk on a lenny system, but its
> > not available in the
> > > lenny sources. A search of the package archives
> > suggests that you can
> > > get it in Etch or unstable, but "apt-get install
> > svk / stable" or
> > > "/ unstable" just says that svk is not
> > available, but is referred by
> > > another package.
> >
> > There should be one comig to sid at your mirror soon.
> >
> > Full story is:
> > http://packages.qa.debian.org/s/svk.html
> >
> > > Is there a version of it i can use, or a reason why
> > its not longer available?
> >
> > When RC bug exists long time on a pacakage, package is
> > removed from
> > testing and unstable.
> >
> > http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=svk&searchon=names&suite=all&secti on=all
> >
> > It is just uploaded to unstable. Try again!
> >
> > Your problem of not installing stable version is unknown to
> > me. Do you
> > have apt-line for stable in /etc/apt/sources.list?
>
> Yes i do.
>
> If i try to install from stable or unstable, i get the following message:
>
> ---
> Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
> the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
> that package should be filed.
> The following information may help to resolve the situation:
>
> The following packages have unmet dependencies:
> svk: Depends: liblocale-maketext-simple-perl (> 0.16)
> E: Broken packages

For such case, you should have used target release thingy. -t option.
Then pin-priority of target is set to 990 and related library can be
picked.
> if i try to install liblocale-maketext-simple-perl, it tries to uninstall
> perl and everything based on it, and that would nuke my system so i dont
> want to do it! Surely there's a way to get svk working?
>

See more on package things at :

http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch03.en.html

Osamu


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:24 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org