-   -   no /etc/printcap file (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/119502-no-etc-printcap-file.html)

Ron Johnson 07-05-2008 04:43 PM

no /etc/printcap file

"Mumia W.." 07-05-2008 06:06 PM

no /etc/printcap file

On 07/05/2008 10:56 AM, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:

Hello,

Hello.

I am running etch, and I have installed lprng and apsfilter for
printing. But I don't have a /etc/printcap file installed. For example:

$ lpr mf1a-prova2.pdf
Read_file_list: cannot stat required or included file '//etc/printcap' -
No such file or directory

How do I generate a /etc/printcap file? I searched the web and the
archives, but I didn't find anything useful.

thanks in advance

Marcelo

Read "man printcap" for cryptic information on how to create an
/etc/printcap file. An example printcap is in /usr/share/doc/lprng/examples.

Anthony Campbell 07-06-2008 07:52 AM

no /etc/printcap file

On 05 Jul 2008, Mumia W.. wrote:
> On 07/05/2008 10:56 AM, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
>> Hello,
>>

> Hello.
>
>> I am running etch, and I have installed lprng and apsfilter for
>> printing. But I don't have a /etc/printcap file installed. For example:
>>
>> $ lpr mf1a-prova2.pdf
>> Read_file_list: cannot stat required or included file '//etc/printcap'
>> - No such file or directory
>>
>> How do I generate a /etc/printcap file? I searched the web and the
>> archives, but I didn't find anything useful.
>>
>> thanks in advance
>>
>> Marcelo
>>

> Read "man printcap" for cryptic information on how to create an
> /etc/printcap file. An example printcap is in
> /usr/share/doc/lprng/examples.

Try using magicfilter instead of apsfilter. Magicfilterconfig will do
everything including making /etc/printcap. I find it better and more
intuitive to use than apsfilter.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
and sceptical articles)

"s. keeling" 07-06-2008 03:21 PM

no /etc/printcap file

Marcelo Chiapparini <marcelo.chiappa@gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> I am running etch, and I have installed lprng and apsfilter for
> printing. But I don't have a /etc/printcap file installed. For example:
>
> $ lpr mf1a-prova2.pdf
> Read_file_list: cannot stat required or included file '//etc/printcap' -
> No such file or directory
>
> How do I generate a /etc/printcap file? I searched the web and the
> archives, but I didn't find anything useful.

lp|To your left:
:lp=/dev/lp0:
:force_localhost:
:if=/usr/bin/foomatic-rip:
:ppd=/usr/local/etc/HP-LaserJet_6L-ljet4.ppd:
:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:
:mx#0:sh:

That's all printcap is. linuxprinting.org may have your printer's
ppd.