Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian User (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/)
-   -   CUPS vs lpd (was Giving up on Iceweasel 3.0) (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/119382-cups-vs-lpd-giving-up-iceweasel-3-0-a.html)

Ron Johnson 07-05-2008 12:17 PM

CUPS vs lpd (was Giving up on Iceweasel 3.0)
 
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 07/05/08 02:07, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 03 Jul 2008, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>> Ron Johnson wrote:
>>>
>>> On 07/03/08 09:12, Anthony Campbell wrote:
>>>> On 03 Jul 2008, Ron Johnson wrote:
>>>>>> I just reinstalled version 3.0 and this time the BBC was working, so I
>>>>>> don't know why it was crashing previously - perhaps something had gone
>>>>>> wrong with the original download.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> The printing problem remains. I think it is related to the fact that I
>>>>>> don't use CUPS -- see the earlier posts about this. I am only offered
>>>>>> the possibility to print to file.
>>>>> Have you tried installing xprint?
>>>>>
>>>> Yes, I have xprint. The problem is that the option to choose lpr has
>>>> been removed from iceweasel. I really don't want to move to CUPS just
>>>> for this. I regard this as a retrograde step on the part of the the
>>>> Iceweasel developers, resulting in loss of choice.
>>> s/iceweasel/firefox
>>>
>>> But I do see your point. File a bug at Mozilla.com. I'm sure
>>> they'll mark it Wont-fix, though...
>>>
>> Does this work correctly in FF3? I have that but also CUPS so I can't
>> test it.
>>
>> Hugo
>>
>>
>
> I tried Firefox 3 with the same result. I have submitted a bug report
> but, as you say, it probably won't be fixed.

What is the reason that you don't install CUPS?

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"Kittens give Morbo gas. In lighter news, the city of New New
York is doomed."
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEARECAAYFAkhvZlYACgkQS9HxQb37XmdxkACdE6yHxIsAFo UldvtrXF6CyQ3N
GgQAn1QZQMV009QYTXkKc8XfVE09GYTW
=6HWC
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Hugo Vanwoerkom 07-05-2008 03:56 PM

CUPS vs lpd (was Giving up on Iceweasel 3.0)
 
Ron Johnson wrote:

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 07/05/08 02:07, Anthony Campbell wrote:

On 03 Jul 2008, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

Ron Johnson wrote:

On 07/03/08 09:12, Anthony Campbell wrote:

On 03 Jul 2008, Ron Johnson wrote:

I just reinstalled version 3.0 and this time the BBC was working, so I
don't know why it was crashing previously - perhaps something had gone
wrong with the original download.

The printing problem remains. I think it is related to the fact that I
don't use CUPS -- see the earlier posts about this. I am only offered
the possibility to print to file.

Have you tried installing xprint?


Yes, I have xprint. The problem is that the option to choose lpr has
been removed from iceweasel. I really don't want to move to CUPS just
for this. I regard this as a retrograde step on the part of the the
Iceweasel developers, resulting in loss of choice.

s/iceweasel/firefox

But I do see your point. File a bug at Mozilla.com. I'm sure
they'll mark it Wont-fix, though...

Does this work correctly in FF3? I have that but also CUPS so I can't
test it.


Hugo



I tried Firefox 3 with the same result. I have submitted a bug report
but, as you say, it probably won't be fixed.


What is the reason that you don't install CUPS?



And eventually iceweasel 3 will be everywhere.

Hugo


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Anthony Campbell 07-06-2008 07:49 AM

CUPS vs lpd (was Giving up on Iceweasel 3.0)
 
On 05 Jul 2008, Ron Johnson wrote:
>
> What is the reason that you don't install CUPS?
>

1. because lpr/lpd and magicfilter work perfectly for me.

2. because CUPS offers no advantage for me.

3. because when I did use it in the past my output was slightly worse
than with my existing setup.

4. because, in the light of the above, using it will involve me in a
fair amount of work for no clear benefit and possibly a worse output.

Anthony




--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Debian GNU/Linux
http://www.acampbell.org.uk (blog, book reviews,
and sceptical articles)


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Jan Willem Stumpel 07-06-2008 02:59 PM

CUPS vs lpd (was Giving up on Iceweasel 3.0)
 
On 06 Jul 2008, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 05 Jul 2008, Ron Johnson wrote:
>> What is the reason that you don't install CUPS?

> 1. because lpr/lpd and magicfilter work perfectly for me.
> 2. because CUPS offers no advantage for me.
> 3. because when I did use it in the past my output was slightly
> worse than with my existing setup.
> 4. because, in the light of the above, using it will involve me
> in a fair amount of work for no clear benefit and possibly a
> worse output.

You are right IMHO; it is a bug, not just the Inevitable March Of
Progress. It seems clear that the Firefox developers did not
intend to drop lpr support:

- they don't say anything about such a change in the Release
Notes.
- in about:config there are still numerous references to
PostScript/Default, lpr., etc.
- it seems such a silly thing to remove; very little code can be
saved by this.

Surely it is a bug. From this item on bugzilla:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=430818

it seems that until a few days before the Firefox 3 release (which
took place on June 17th) Firefox could not print *at all*. It had
a totally empty print dialog box. It seems they could fix it to
some extent before the release date, but not completely.
Unfortunate for those who have used lpr to complete satisfaction
for so long (and not only for directly-connected printers BTW).

There are lots of other bugs in the new Firefox/Iceweasel. A
particularly serious one (all resized images became black
rectangles) apparently was quietly fixed a few days ago. I expect
the same will happen with the lpr bug. In the meantime I'll just
soldier on with the "inoticoming" trick. I refuse to change to cups!

Regards, Jan


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Ron Johnson 07-06-2008 04:02 PM

CUPS vs lpd (was Giving up on Iceweasel 3.0)
 
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 07/06/08 02:49, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 05 Jul 2008, Ron Johnson wrote:
>> What is the reason that you don't install CUPS?
>>
>
> 1. because lpr/lpd and magicfilter work perfectly for me.
>
> 2. because CUPS offers no advantage for me.

Until "They" force your hand... :

> 3. because when I did use it in the past my output was slightly worse
> than with my existing setup.

Really? How so?

> 4. because, in the light of the above, using it will involve me in a
> fair amount of work for no clear benefit and possibly a worse output.

Huh???????? *Using* CUPS is as difficult as rolling off a log.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"Kittens give Morbo gas. In lighter news, the city of New New
York is doomed."
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEARECAAYFAkhw7HMACgkQS9HxQb37XmfRIgCfWjVoIL4dpZ 5UPax7CFsL3BTj
RcYAn1pj3abE4EhsYjFM+ZDrLP7xJ+D5
=mGQT
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Ron Johnson 07-06-2008 04:08 PM

CUPS vs lpd (was Giving up on Iceweasel 3.0)
 
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 07/06/08 09:59, Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:
> On 06 Jul 2008, Anthony Campbell wrote:
>> On 05 Jul 2008, Ron Johnson wrote:
>>> What is the reason that you don't install CUPS?
>
>> 1. because lpr/lpd and magicfilter work perfectly for me.
>> 2. because CUPS offers no advantage for me.
>> 3. because when I did use it in the past my output was slightly
>> worse than with my existing setup.
>> 4. because, in the light of the above, using it will involve me
>> in a fair amount of work for no clear benefit and possibly a
>> worse output.
>
> You are right IMHO; it is a bug, not just the Inevitable March Of
> Progress. It seems clear that the Firefox developers did not
> intend to drop lpr support:
>
> - they don't say anything about such a change in the Release
> Notes.
> - in about:config there are still numerous references to
> PostScript/Default, lpr., etc.
> - it seems such a silly thing to remove; very little code can be
> saved by this.
>
> Surely it is a bug. From this item on bugzilla:
>
> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=430818
>
> it seems that until a few days before the Firefox 3 release (which
> took place on June 17th) Firefox could not print *at all*. It had

That's weird. Sid only has -rc_2_ and I can print just fine.
Unless Eric Dorland (the IW maintainer) fixed the code himself.

> a totally empty print dialog box. It seems they could fix it to
> some extent before the release date, but not completely.
> Unfortunate for those who have used lpr to complete satisfaction
> for so long (and not only for directly-connected printers BTW).
>
> There are lots of other bugs in the new Firefox/Iceweasel. A
> particularly serious one (all resized images became black
> rectangles) apparently was quietly fixed a few days ago.

Where did you read this? I resize pictures, and they don't turn
into black rectangles. Unless what I'm thinking of isn't what
"they" are talking about...

> I expect
> the same will happen with the lpr bug. In the meantime I'll just
> soldier on with the "inoticoming" trick. I refuse to change to cups!

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"Kittens give Morbo gas. In lighter news, the city of New New
York is doomed."
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEARECAAYFAkhw7gwACgkQS9HxQb37XmdXBgCgyusapBWiUZ +QRiT5vkxOMK+C
fDEAoIKRopbnfnd8cSQ0noeJKVfufJvu
=OpoV
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Jan Willem Stumpel 07-06-2008 05:47 PM

CUPS vs lpd (was Giving up on Iceweasel 3.0)
 
Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 07/06/08 09:59, Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:

>> You are right IMHO; it is a bug, not just the Inevitable
>> March Of Progress. It seems clear that the Firefox developers
>> did not intend to drop lpr support:

>> - they don't say anything about such a change in the Release
>> Notes.
>> - in about:config there are still numerous references to
>> PostScript/Default, lpr., etc.
>> - it seems such a silly thing to remove; very little code can
>> be saved by this.

>> Surely it is a bug. From this item on bugzilla:

>> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=430818

>> it seems that until a few days before the Firefox 3 release
>> (which took place on June 17th) Firefox could not print *at
>> all*. [..]

> That's weird. Sid only has -rc_2_ and I can print just fine.
> Unless Eric Dorland (the IW maintainer) fixed the code himself.

>> There are lots of other bugs in the new Firefox/Iceweasel. A
>> particularly serious one (all resized images became black
>> rectangles) apparently was quietly fixed a few days ago. I
>> expect the same will happen with the lpr bug. [..]

> Where did you read this? I resize pictures, and they don't
> turn into black rectangles. Unless what I'm thinking of isn't
> what "they" are talking about...

It could be that the "black rectangle bug" (which occurs /
occurred, for instance, when a Web page serves a picture at a
specific size, not its "natural" size) only happened with ATI
Radeon cards. There are several bug reports about it, for instance
this Ubuntu one:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox-3.0/+bug/182038

and very likely also Debian bug #487834. I have a Radeon, and
had trouble with this bug in FF3, not in FF2. But as I said, it
has disappeared (after an upgrade).

The "lpr printing bug" may also disappear soon. The bugzilla page
I mentioned now has a contribution by list member Mumia W. who
says lpr printing works again after installing GTK+2.10 (from
source). I'm going to try that..

Regards, Jan


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Ron Johnson 07-06-2008 07:53 PM

CUPS vs lpd (was Giving up on Iceweasel 3.0)
 
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 07/06/08 12:47, Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
>
>> On 07/06/08 09:59, Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:
>
>>> You are right IMHO; it is a bug, not just the Inevitable
>>> March Of Progress. It seems clear that the Firefox developers
>>> did not intend to drop lpr support:
>
>>> - they don't say anything about such a change in the Release
>>> Notes.
>>> - in about:config there are still numerous references to
>>> PostScript/Default, lpr., etc.
>>> - it seems such a silly thing to remove; very little code can
>>> be saved by this.
>
>>> Surely it is a bug. From this item on bugzilla:
>
>>> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=430818
>
>>> it seems that until a few days before the Firefox 3 release
>>> (which took place on June 17th) Firefox could not print *at
>>> all*. [..]
>
>> That's weird. Sid only has -rc_2_ and I can print just fine.
>> Unless Eric Dorland (the IW maintainer) fixed the code himself.
>
>>> There are lots of other bugs in the new Firefox/Iceweasel. A
>>> particularly serious one (all resized images became black
>>> rectangles) apparently was quietly fixed a few days ago. I
>>> expect the same will happen with the lpr bug. [..]
>
>> Where did you read this? I resize pictures, and they don't
>> turn into black rectangles. Unless what I'm thinking of isn't
>> what "they" are talking about...
>
> It could be that the "black rectangle bug" (which occurs /
> occurred, for instance, when a Web page serves a picture at a
> specific size, not its "natural" size) only happened with ATI
> Radeon cards. There are several bug reports about it, for instance
> this Ubuntu one:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox-3.0/+bug/182038
>
> and very likely also Debian bug #487834. I have a Radeon, and
> had trouble with this bug in FF3, not in FF2. But as I said, it
> has disappeared (after an upgrade).

According to (at least some posts in) that link, people using the nv
driver were having the problem, and those using nvidia were not.

> The "lpr printing bug" may also disappear soon. The bugzilla page
> I mentioned now has a contribution by list member Mumia W. who
> says lpr printing works again after installing GTK+2.10 (from
> source). I'm going to try that..

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"Kittens give Morbo gas. In lighter news, the city of New New
York is doomed."
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEARECAAYFAkhxIr0ACgkQS9HxQb37Xmcm2QCfdVO9drQtz/5VRcAxhMWLoZth
ES4An3uZXDF7DV+XAPkeCUtY0PMDV+5Y
=sUlI
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Jan Willem Stumpel 07-06-2008 08:06 PM

CUPS vs lpd (was Giving up on Iceweasel 3.0)
 
I'll just mention the follow-up. I just tried installing gtk+-2.10
(compiling source from http://www.gtk.org/) and indeed, "print to
lpr" now appears in the print dialog. Without cups or xprint. Just
lprng. So as soon as gtk+-2.10 appears in Sid, this problem will
be over.

Regards, Jan


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Ron Johnson 07-06-2008 08:30 PM

CUPS vs lpd (was Giving up on Iceweasel 3.0)
 
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 07/06/08 15:06, Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:
> I'll just mention the follow-up. I just tried installing gtk+-2.10
> (compiling source from http://www.gtk.org/) and indeed, "print to
> lpr" now appears in the print dialog. Without cups or xprint. Just
> lprng. So as soon as gtk+-2.10 appears in Sid, this problem will
> be over.

You're a bit behind the times, Jan! ;)

$ apt-cache policy libgtk2.0-0
libgtk2.0-0:
Installed: 2.12.10-2
Candidate: 2.12.10-2
Version table:
*** 2.12.10-2 0
500 ftp://mirrors.kernel.org unstable/main Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"Kittens give Morbo gas. In lighter news, the city of New New
York is doomed."
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEARECAAYFAkhxK1oACgkQS9HxQb37Xmf/ewCfTmsHX0aXBEelHpLCfSlSCRDt
LYEAn3+sxKOWCS5CwXMYt/AJMyctX4dp
=XfEk
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:18 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.