Old 07-07-2008, 11:49 AM
Anthony Campbell

Default CUPS vs lpd (was Giving up on Iceweasel 3.0)

On 07 Jul 2008, Mumia W.. wrote:
> On 07/07/2008 04:12 AM, Anthony Campbell wrote:
>> On 07 Jul 2008, Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:
>>> [ good advice snipped ]
>>
>> It didn't work here. I did the same thing and the appropriate stuff in
>> /usr/local but I still can't print. Did you do something to make FF see
>> the gtk-2.10 stuff?
>>
>> Anthony
>>

> I did. I installed gtk+2.10 to a non-standard location to prevent it
> from conflicting with gtk+2.8. I suggest you place something like
> gtk+2.10 in a new directory, e.g. /usr/local/exotic; when you install,
> you'll get a /usr/local/exotic/lib directory containing the library
> binaries.
>
> I also created a startup script for firefox that sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH to
> the 'lib' directory where gtk+2.10's binaries are installed, e.g.:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> #---------firefox-3.0.sh-------------
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/exotic/lib
> exec /usr/local/firefox-3.0/firefox

Doesn't seem to help here. I don't have any "lib" directory in gtk-2.10;
just engines, immodules, printbackends, and loaders.

Perhaps I should have used an earlier version of gtk-2.10?

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
and sceptical articles)

Old 07-07-2008, 12:29 PM
Jan Willem Stumpel

Anthony Campbell wrote:

> I installed the gtk stuff in that way and I do have the entries
> you listed. But I don't seem to have the same printer entries
> in about:config.
>
> I have put
>
> print.print_printer user_set string lpr
>
> which doesn't seem to work. I can't see options for your other
> entries. How did you create an entry for
> print.postscript.cups.enabled?

I set print.print_printer to PostScript/Default, not lpr. But it
does not seem to matter.

New preferences can be made by right-clicking anywhere in
about:config and selecting "New". It does not seem possible to
remove such preferences once they are created. But the setting of
print.postscript.cups.enabled also did not matter. I changed it
from "false" to "true" and I can still print. I cannot remember
exactly which other about:config print things I changed, but I now
tried several other things, and none seem to matter.

I hope you get it sorted out. Which version exactly did you
download from gtk.org? Mine is gtk+-2.10.13. Tarball was called
gtk+-2.10.13.tar.bz2 (an "older" version, not the "stable" 2.12
version).

BTW Mumia W., according to his message, stores his newly-compiled
gtk in an "exotic" location. I didn't do this. /usr/local (the
default when you compile from gtk.org) is exotic enough. Stuff
which is installed there has priority over similarly-named stuff
in /usr.

Do you have a printer named lp in printcap? (Or named as an
alternative, such as LaserJet|lp ?). Well, I suppose you do.

Regards, Jan

Old 07-07-2008, 02:14 PM
Jan Willem Stumpel

Anthony Campbell wrote:
> Mumia M. wrote:
>> I also created a startup script for firefox that sets
>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the 'lib' directory where gtk+2.10's
>> binaries are installed, e.g.:

>> #!/bin/sh
>> #---------firefox-3.0.sh-------------
>> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/exotic/lib
>> exec /usr/local/firefox-3.0/firefox

> Doesn't seem to help here. I don't have any "lib" directory in
> gtk-2.10; just engines, immodules, printbackends, and loaders.

> Perhaps I should have used an earlier version of gtk-2.10?

The standard self-compiled install puts *lots* of stuff in
/usr/local, e.g. in

/usr/local/bin
/usr/local/lib
/usr/local/share
/usr/local/etc

/usr/local/lib contains a subdirectory gtk-2.0 which has engines,
immodules, printbackends, and loaders in it. But also
/usr/local/lib ("above" gtk-2.10, not inside it) will contain new
gtk things.

BTW Mumia, it seems you use a (probably non-Debian) firefox
(because you use Etch), which is also in /usr/local. I use Sid,
and I can now print with the standard Debian Iceweasel.

The difficult thing now is to pinpoint where the bug is, exactly.
Ihe official Debian source files of libgtk2.0-0 are much bigger
than the gtk+-2.10 ones on gtk.org (23 MB vs 14 MB). To compile
the Debian version (which does not allow lpr printing through ff3)
you need to install *lots* of extra packages:
gnome-common
intltool
libcairo-directfb2
libcups2-dev
chrpath
gtk-doc-tools
libcairo-directfb2-dev
libcupsys2-dev
svn-buildpackage
unp
gnome-pkg-tools
libsvn-perl
svn-buildpackage
It seems the package was heavily customised. Maybe some bias
favouring CUPS was introduced. But ff2 worked fine, so I am still
not certain where the blame really lies.

Regards, Jan

Old 07-07-2008, 03:18 PM
Ron Johnson

On 07/07/08 09:14, Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:
> Anthony Campbell wrote:
>> Mumia M. wrote:
>>> I also created a startup script for firefox that sets
>>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the 'lib' directory where gtk+2.10's
>>> binaries are installed, e.g.:
>
>>> #!/bin/sh
>>> #---------firefox-3.0.sh-------------
>>> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/exotic/lib
>>> exec /usr/local/firefox-3.0/firefox
>
>> Doesn't seem to help here. I don't have any "lib" directory in
>> gtk-2.10; just engines, immodules, printbackends, and loaders.
>
>> Perhaps I should have used an earlier version of gtk-2.10?
>
> The standard self-compiled install puts *lots* of stuff in
> /usr/local, e.g. in
>
> /usr/local/bin
> /usr/local/lib
> /usr/local/share
> /usr/local/etc
>
> /usr/local/lib contains a subdirectory gtk-2.0 which has engines,
> immodules, printbackends, and loaders in it. But also
> /usr/local/lib ("above" gtk-2.10, not inside it) will contain new
> gtk things.
>
> BTW Mumia, it seems you use a (probably non-Debian) firefox
> (because you use Etch), which is also in /usr/local. I use Sid,
> and I can now print with the standard Debian Iceweasel.
>
> The difficult thing now is to pinpoint where the bug is, exactly.
> Ihe official Debian source files of libgtk2.0-0 are much bigger
> than the gtk+-2.10 ones on gtk.org (23 MB vs 14 MB). To compile
> the Debian version (which does not allow lpr printing through ff3)
> you need to install *lots* of extra packages:
> gnome-common
> intltool
> libcairo-directfb2
> libcups2-dev
> chrpath
> gtk-doc-tools
> libcairo-directfb2-dev
> libcupsys2-dev
> svn-buildpackage
> unp
> gnome-pkg-tools
> libsvn-perl
> svn-buildpackage
> It seems the package was heavily customised. Maybe some bias
> favouring CUPS was introduced. But ff2 worked fine, so I am still
> not certain where the blame really lies.

I'd say to file a bug against libgtk2.0-0 and see what response you get.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

York is doomed."

Old 07-07-2008, 04:22 PM
Anthony Campbell

On 07 Jul 2008, Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:
> Anthony Campbell wrote:
>
> > I installed the gtk stuff in that way and I do have the entries
> > you listed. But I don't seem to have the same printer entries
> > in about:config.
> >
> > I have put
> >
> > print.print_printer user_set string lpr
> >
> > which doesn't seem to work. I can't see options for your other
> > entries. How did you create an entry for
> > print.postscript.cups.enabled?
>
> I set print.print_printer to PostScript/Default, not lpr. But it
> does not seem to matter.
>
> New preferences can be made by right-clicking anywhere in
> about:config and selecting "New". It does not seem possible to
> remove such preferences once they are created. But the setting of
> print.postscript.cups.enabled also did not matter. I changed it
> from "false" to "true" and I can still print. I cannot remember
> exactly which other about:config print things I changed, but I now
> tried several other things, and none seem to matter.
>
> I hope you get it sorted out. Which version exactly did you
> download from gtk.org? Mine is gtk+-2.10.13. Tarball was called
> gtk+-2.10.13.tar.bz2 (an "older" version, not the "stable" 2.12
> version).
>
> BTW Mumia W., according to his message, stores his newly-compiled
> gtk in an "exotic" location. I didn't do this. /usr/local (the
> default when you compile from gtk.org) is exotic enough. Stuff
> which is installed there has priority over similarly-named stuff
> in /usr.
>
> Do you have a printer named lp in printcap? (Or named as an
> alternative, such as LaserJet|lp ?). Well, I suppose you do.
>
> Regards, Jan

I compiled version 2.20.14, which was the newest I found. I may try
2.10.13 tomorrow, when my brain has recovered.

Yes, I do have lp in printcap, pointing to my printer (Kyocera). I
always have had; this works perfectly and so doess remote printing from
other machines on my network.

Incidentally, Iceape prints correctly and so does Opera. I'll soldier on
tomorrow; don't like being defeated by these things.

Thanks,

Anthony

Old 07-07-2008, 04:57 PM
Jan Willem Stumpel

Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 07/07/08 09:14, Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:

>> It seems the package was heavily customised. Maybe some bias
>> favouring CUPS was introduced. But ff2 worked fine, so I am
>> still not certain where the blame really lies.

> I'd say to file a bug against libgtk2.0-0 and see what response
> you get.

I just did. It is bug #489765 now.

Regards, Jan

Old 07-07-2008, 05:31 PM
"Christofer C. Bell"

On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 2:49 AM, Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> wrote:

On 05 Jul 2008, Ron Johnson wrote:

> What is the reason that you don't install CUPS?

1. because lpr/lpd and magicfilter work perfectly for me.

Other than the minor detail of not printing from your web browser. *How is this working perfectly?

2. because CUPS offers no advantage for me.
Other than the dubious advantage of actually working?
*

3. because when I did use it in the past my output was slightly worse

than with my existing setup.
This is subjective so I can't speak to it.

4. because, in the light of the above, using it will involve me in a

fair amount of work for no clear benefit and possibly a worse output.

Other than the murky benefit of actually being able to print documents from Firefox 3, the original complaint you posted about? *I'm not trying to be an ass here, but the reasons you give don't make any sense. *If "resistance to change" is the reason, I can understand that, but "because what I have works perfectly" isn't a reason -- it obviously *does not* work perfectly for you.

What I'm getting at here is that perhaps it's time to bite the bullet and move to CUPS (pretty much the de facto printing standard for UNIX now). *It is what's installed by default (ie; to get it working, you need take no action). *It is what more people are running (and thus giving you a wider base of support).*

So, are there *other* reasons you don't want to migrate?

--
Chris

Old 07-07-2008, 07:07 PM
"Mumia W.."

BTW Mumia W., according to his message, stores his newly-compiled
gtk in an "exotic" location. I didn't do this. /usr/local (the
default when you compile from gtk.org) is exotic enough. Stuff
which is installed there has priority over similarly-named stuff
in /usr.

That's the problem. The gtk+2.10 in /usr/local will be seen before the
gtk+2.8 in /usr, and programs that need gtk+2.8 won't work correctly.

Do you have a printer named lp in printcap? (Or named as an
alternative, such as LaserJet|lp ?). Well, I suppose you do.

Regards, Jan

Yes, I have an /etc/printcap with a "lp" entry.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:47 AM
Anthony Campbell

On 07 Jul 2008, Christofer C. Bell wrote:

Since you posted in a form I couldn't read, I can't reply.

Anthony

Old 07-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Chris Bannister

On Tue, Jul 08, 2008 at 09:47:56AM +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 07 Jul 2008, Christofer C. Bell wrote:
^^^^^^^^^
Haven't seen that spelling before, interesting.

> Since you posted in a form I couldn't read, I can't reply.

Hi,

I see you are using mutt. Put this in your .muttrc:

auto_view text/html

and you should now be able to see the message rendered in a browser.

--
Chris.
======