Old 07-05-2008, 07:18 AM
Chris Bannister

Default du-guidelines - point 7

Hi,

In the Debian-User Guidelines:
http://people.cornell.edu/pages/kk288/du-guidelines.html

Point #7 says:
"... Also, you need not change the title of thread when saying "thanks"
or "solved the problem". Some email clients might not handle threads
appropriately when changing the subject of conversations."

Is this still the case? I have considered that having [solved] or
something similar in the subject is a handy thing.

Maybe, politely suggesting they get a better email client would be a
better solution?

Good work by Kamaraju Kusumanchi on this. It would be good to see it
added to the .sig with the howto (un)subscribe message already added to
each message.

--
Chris.
======

Old 07-14-2008, 10:10 PM
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi

Chris Bannister wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In the Debian-User Guidelines:
> http://people.cornell.edu/pages/kk288/du-guidelines.html
>
> Point #7 says:
> "... Also, you need not change the title of thread when saying "thanks"
> or "solved the problem". Some email clients might not handle threads
> appropriately when changing the subject of conversations."
>
> Is this still the case? I have considered that having [solved] or
> something similar in the subject is a handy thing.

I believe so. gmail web interface is one popular example. If the tilte
changes, it will be in different "conversation".

> Good work by Kamaraju Kusumanchi on this.

Thanks for the kind words.

raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/

Old 07-14-2008, 10:22 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Mon,14.Jul.08, 18:10:15, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
> Chris Bannister wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > In the Debian-User Guidelines:
> > http://people.cornell.edu/pages/kk288/du-guidelines.html
> >
> > Point #7 says:
> > "... Also, you need not change the title of thread when saying "thanks"
> > or "solved the problem". Some email clients might not handle threads
> > appropriately when changing the subject of conversations."
> >
> > Is this still the case? I have considered that having [solved] or
> > something similar in the subject is a handy thing.
>
> I believe so. gmail web interface is one popular example. If the tilte
> changes, it will be in different "conversation".

OTOH it makes it easy to spot solved threads (especially if Florian
participated This is very useful if I have a big backlog from d-u.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 07-14-2008, 10:50 PM
Paul Johnson

On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 18:10 -0400, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
> Chris Bannister wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > In the Debian-User Guidelines:
> > http://people.cornell.edu/pages/kk288/du-guidelines.html
> >
> > Point #7 says:
> > "... Also, you need not change the title of thread when saying "thanks"
> > or "solved the problem". Some email clients might not handle threads
> > appropriately when changing the subject of conversations."
> >
> > Is this still the case? I have considered that having [solved] or
> > something similar in the subject is a handy thing.
>
> I believe so. gmail web interface is one popular example. If the tilte
> changes, it will be in different "conversation".

GMail is known buggy and not suitable for mailing list use, if only for
it's propensity to send HTML when the user wasn't expecting to, and it's
brutal lack of Reply to Mailing List and poor threading.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca

Old 07-14-2008, 11:22 PM
"Jeff Soules"

> GMail is known buggy and not suitable for mailing list use, if only for
> it's propensity to send HTML when the user wasn't expecting to, and it's
> brutal lack of Reply to Mailing List and poor threading.

And yet, it's free-as-in-beer, without having to expose your home system
to the vulnerabilities associated with running your own mail server, and its
thread-collapsing system and effective search features make it heaps
easier to store debugging steps and solutions from the ML and even find
them again later. Granted, you have to be comfortable with your mail
being stored on an untrusted server; and setting up encryption and
signing in Gmail is something I've yet to attempt... but there
are pros as well as cons.

If anyone is wondering, the "settings" button in the upper right corner
can be used to easily configure a text-based reply mode. Looks like it
even auto-wraps to a character count (although I haven't been playing with
it in text-mode enough lately to speak).

Old 07-15-2008, 12:44 AM
Celejar

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 19:22:29 -0400
"Jeff Soules" <soules@gmail.com> wrote:

> > GMail is known buggy and not suitable for mailing list use, if only for
> > it's propensity to send HTML when the user wasn't expecting to, and it's
> > brutal lack of Reply to Mailing List and poor threading.
>
> And yet, it's free-as-in-beer, without having to expose your home system
> to the vulnerabilities associated with running your own mail server, and its
> thread-collapsing system and effective search features make it heaps
> easier to store debugging steps and solutions from the ML and even find
> them again later. Granted, you have to be comfortable with your mail
> being stored on an untrusted server; and setting up encryption and
> signing in Gmail is something I've yet to attempt... but there
> are pros as well as cons.

Note that Gmail can be used via POP or IMAP, without the web interface,
as I and others on the list use it. One still gets the free-as-in-beer
mail service and storage space, but is free to use 'proper' software
(fetchmail / getmail, MUA, gpg, procmail / maildrop, etc.) in
conjunction with it. I do occasionally use the web interface for the
excellent search capability, and checking the spam folder for false
positives (of which there often are).

Celejar