Old 07-04-2008, 06:34 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Default audacious: Illegal instruction

Florian Kulzer wrote:

On Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 12:30:09 -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

Hi,

In Sid, I just installed audacious. And I get this:

hugo@debian:~$ audacious -v
Audacious 1.5.1 [UNSUPPORTED VERSION]
hugo@debian:~$ audacious
Illegal instruction
hugo@debian:~$ uname -a
Linux debian 2.6.25.9 #1 PREEMPT Wed Jul 2 16:46:37 CDT 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

What's next?

Does your processor support sse2? (run "cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep sse2")

No it does not.

If it does not then you might have the same problem as described in bug
#471061. Also check out #489037.

Thanks Florian. But funny is that I can run it OK in another Sid
partition on this box that runs a recompiled 2.6.24 Debian i386 kernel.

This Sid partition runs a home rolled 2.6.25.9 and has the problem...

Hugo

Old 07-04-2008, 06:44 PM
"David Fox"

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 11:34 AM, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:

> Thanks Florian. But funny is that I can run it OK in another Sid partition
> on this box that runs a recompiled 2.6.24 Debian i386 kernel.
>
> This Sid partition runs a home rolled 2.6.25.9 and has the problem...

I don't see how it could be the kernel exposing this issue. You could
run audacious inside gdb and find out where it hits the illegal
instruction - the few times I've encountered this problem, it's been
because the binary was compiled with features the processor doesn't
support - SSE2 for instance. Some people assume that everyone in
i386-land have processors that can handle that stuff, and mine
couldn't and I got bit by the last nvidia driver update in lenny. Now
that I have an amd64, I don't have to worry about this, but that's
beside the point. For the last seven years though, I had a
pre-Palomino vintage AMD Athlon Thunderbird processor. No SSE2 on that
thing.

When you do a gdb, then run the program as usual and you'll see the
offending instruction by doing a disassemble $pc-32 $pc+32 which
allows you to see the context. It'll probably be a movaps or some
other instruction your cpu can't do.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom