Old 07-04-2008, 04:34 PM
"H.S."

Default Linksys Router

Mark Neidorff wrote:

Hi all,

A while ago I got a Linksys wrt54g router. I was going to put it into place,

What is the hardware version of this router? This will matter should you
want to get the open source firmware.

then I noticed that the soft/firm-ware on it is open source linux based.
After a bried search, I discovered that "openwrt" (also X-Wrt) is a
replacement on the net for the default linksys software in the router.

Why would I want to replace the software in the router with openwrt/X-Wrt?
What shortcomings in the router software are overcome with openwrt/X-Wrt?
If I have the need to replace the software, is openwrt/X-Wrt the best
replacement to use?

I think with this particular model, you may have to go for dd-wrt Micro
firmware. These open source firmwares give you some additional features.
One of the most important for me was the ability to fix an IP address
for a LAN machine but via DHCP. You also get better wireless encryption
options than the factory firmware. And one also gets QoS, port
forwarding rules (limited only by available memory on the router as
opposed to fix number available in the factory firmware), bandwidth
monitoring and I guess in general the open source firmware is more
robust than the factory one. However, the standard disclaimers apply: YMMV.

Finally, if you are not in need of these kind of additional features and
are nervous playing around flashing a firmware that may void the
router's warranty, you are maybe better off with the preinstalled firmware.

->HS

Old 07-04-2008, 04:40 PM
"H.S."

Patrick Wiseman wrote:

My favorite replacement is Tomato(1). It adds lot of functionality.

Patrick
(1)http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato

I just had a look at the features and the demos (flash videos). Looks
pretty nifty. That access restrictions feature of listing the exceptions
(IP or Mac) is a feature that I think is not in dd-wrt.

However, it will depend on the OP's hardware version if he can use
Tomato or not.

->HS

Old 07-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Jochen Schulz

Mark Neidorff:

> Why would I want to replace the software in the router with openwrt/X-Wrt?

Because after flashing you have full access to all of the operating
system's features instead of what the original firmware's web interface
offers to you. Essentially, you have a full-fledged linux system in
place which you can use for whatever purpose you like -- only hardware
restrictions apply.

For example, you can run a VPN server, write your own iptables rules,
configure the integrated switch to your liking (I have separate subnets
for wifi and wired LAN), run kismet and have better debugging facilities
in place (tcpdump, for example).

> If I have the need to replace the software, is openwrt/X-Wrt the best
> replacement to use?

That depends heavily on whether you still want or need to use a
more or less comfortable web interface to configure your router. IIRC
X-Wrt contains a nice web GUI but OpenWrt does not (at least not by
default). You can still do everything you want when using SSH in both
cases, though.

J.
--
Looking into my eyes is the only way you'll know I'm telling the truth.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 07-04-2008, 06:19 PM
Paul Johnson

On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 12:05 -0400, Mark Neidorff wrote:
> A while ago I got a Linksys wrt54g router. I was going to put it into place,
> then I noticed that the soft/firm-ware on it is open source linux based.
> After a bried search, I discovered that "openwrt" (also X-Wrt) is a
> replacement on the net for the default linksys software in the router.

Not all WRT54G's are the same. What version?

Personally, I use dd-wrt, but I'm interested in hearing about a
comparison.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca

Old 07-04-2008, 06:22 PM
Paul Johnson

On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 12:40 -0400, H.S. wrote:
> Patrick Wiseman wrote:
>

> > My favorite replacement is Tomato(1). It adds lot of functionality.
> >
> > Patrick
> > (1)http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato
>

> I just had a look at the features and the demos (flash videos). Looks
> pretty nifty. That access restrictions feature of listing the exceptions
> (IP or Mac) is a feature that I think is not in dd-wrt.

Actually, it is in DD-WRT, check in the Security tab. Plus I believe
you can use iptables if you enable SSH, log into it and do it by hand.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca

Old 07-04-2008, 09:56 PM
"H.S."

Paul Johnson wrote:

I just had a look at the features and the demos (flash videos). Looks
pretty nifty. That access restrictions feature of listing the exceptions
(IP or Mac) is a feature that I think is not in dd-wrt.

Actually, it is in DD-WRT, check in the Security tab. Plus I believe

I did, didn't find what I was looking for. Perhaps I wasn't clear. The
problem is quite simple (no arguments about the objective's merits though):

Allow only a few selected macs to access the internet and block all others.

Please let me know how to do this in dd-wrt.

you can use iptables if you enable SSH, log into it and do it by hand.

Yup, that is always there (this is on dd-wrt micro, so SSH is out of the
question). However, I am not the one that is really handling the router.
I was asked for help and I would not want to suggest command line and
shell scripts to that person.

->HS