Old 07-04-2008, 04:05 PM
Mark Neidorff

Default Linksys Router

Hi all,

A while ago I got a Linksys wrt54g router. I was going to put it into place,
then I noticed that the soft/firm-ware on it is open source linux based.
After a bried search, I discovered that "openwrt" (also X-Wrt) is a
replacement on the net for the default linksys software in the router.

Why would I want to replace the software in the router with openwrt/X-Wrt?
What shortcomings in the router software are overcome with openwrt/X-Wrt?
If I have the need to replace the software, is openwrt/X-Wrt the best
replacement to use?

Thanks for any info,

Mark

Old 07-04-2008, 04:26 PM
"Patrick Wiseman"

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 12:05 PM, Mark Neidorff <mark@neidorff.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A while ago I got a Linksys wrt54g router. I was going to put it into place,
> then I noticed that the soft/firm-ware on it is open source linux based.
> After a bried search, I discovered that "openwrt" (also X-Wrt) is a
> replacement on the net for the default linksys software in the router.
>
> Why would I want to replace the software in the router with openwrt/X-Wrt?
> What shortcomings in the router software are overcome with openwrt/X-Wrt?
> If I have the need to replace the software, is openwrt/X-Wrt the best
> replacement to use?

My favorite replacement is Tomato(1). It adds lot of functionality.

Patrick
(1)http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato