Old 07-04-2008, 02:12 PM
michael

Default using debootstrap to install Debian

I was following the instructions on, eg Debian_Admin, to attempt an
installation of Debian on a Fedora box (that didn't like the netinst
CD). I have got as far as installing a chroot in /debian_chroot but
cannot work out the final steps needed to be able to boot into the
Debian installation. Could some kind soul help me out? Thanks, M

Old 07-04-2008, 03:24 PM
Shawn Beasley

michael wrote:
> I was following the instructions on, eg Debian_Admin, to attempt an
> installation of Debian on a Fedora box (that didn't like the netinst
> CD). I have got as far as installing a chroot in /debian_chroot but
> cannot work out the final steps needed to be able to boot into the
> Debian installation. Could some kind soul help me out? Thanks, M

Boot from UbuntuLive or the like (must have a grub boot loader), mount
your hard drive and copy the initrd.gz vmlinuz to /root. (found in
install.i386)

Reboot from cd an press escape to get to the grub command line.

grub> root (hd0,1) <= your hard drive
grub> kernel /root/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1
grub> boot

Should work, I had the same problem with an older server. The cd booted
everything except the server

Hope I could help

--
Dig"IT"al Ninja

Old 07-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Gabriel Parrondo

El vie, 04-07-2008 a las 17:24 +0200, Shawn Beasley escribió:
> michael wrote:
> > I was following the instructions on, eg Debian_Admin, to attempt an
> > installation of Debian on a Fedora box (that didn't like the netinst
> > CD). I have got as far as installing a chroot in /debian_chroot but
> > cannot work out the final steps needed to be able to boot into the
> > Debian installation. Could some kind soul help me out? Thanks, M
>
> Boot from UbuntuLive or the like (must have a grub boot loader), mount
> your hard drive and copy the initrd.gz vmlinuz to /root. (found in
> install.i386)

OP is not using/installing ubuntu, he's installing debian and using
fedora. I don't see where ubuntu fits.
/vmlinuz and /initrd are links to files in /boot, which are installed by
the kernel package (actually, the initrd is created, not installed).

OP:
You should chroot in /debian_chroot and run 'aptitude install
linux-image-architecture'.
If debootstrap didn't already, also install grub (or lilo if you prefer
it). Edit fstab (don't forget about /proc) and exit the chroot.
Then, if you have grub in the fedora system, run 'grub-install
--root-directory=/debian_chroot /dev/device' and
edit /debian_chroot/boot/grub/device.map if necessary.
Re-enter the chroot and run update-grub.

Then make the bios boot from that device, however you do it, and there
you go.

--
Gabriel Parrondo
GNU/Linux User #404138

"The only difference between theory and practice is that, in theory,
there's no difference between theory and practice."

Old 07-07-2008, 12:24 PM
michael

On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 17:24 +0200, Shawn Beasley wrote:
> michael wrote:
> > I was following the instructions on, eg Debian_Admin, to attempt an
> > installation of Debian on a Fedora box (that didn't like the netinst
> > CD). I have got as far as installing a chroot in /debian_chroot but
> > cannot work out the final steps needed to be able to boot into the
> > Debian installation. Could some kind soul help me out? Thanks, M
>
> Boot from UbuntuLive or the like (must have a grub boot loader), mount
> your hard drive and copy the initrd.gz vmlinuz to /root. (found in
> install.i386)
>
> Reboot from cd an press escape to get to the grub command line.
>
> grub> root (hd0,1) <= your hard drive
> grub> kernel /root/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1
> grub> boot
>
> Should work, I had the same problem with an older server. The cd booted
> everything except the server

I think it is possible to do what I want without using a Live CD, eg
consider I was trying, remotely, to install Debian!

Old 07-07-2008, 05:08 PM
Shawn Beasley

michael wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 17:24 +0200, Shawn Beasley wrote:
>> michael wrote:
>>> I was following the instructions on, eg Debian_Admin, to attempt an
>>> installation of Debian on a Fedora box (that didn't like the netinst
>>> CD). I have got as far as installing a chroot in /debian_chroot but
>>> cannot work out the final steps needed to be able to boot into the
>>> Debian installation. Could some kind soul help me out? Thanks, M
>> Boot from UbuntuLive or the like (must have a grub boot loader), mount
>> your hard drive and copy the initrd.gz vmlinuz to /root. (found in
>> install.i386)
>>
>> Reboot from cd an press escape to get to the grub command line.
>>
>> grub> root (hd0,1) <= your hard drive
>> grub> kernel /root/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1
>> grub> boot
>>
>> Should work, I had the same problem with an older server. The cd booted
>> everything except the server
>
> I think it is possible to do what I want without using a Live CD, eg
> consider I was trying, remotely, to install Debian!

Like I said, I was only reporting my success. I could not use the netiso
to install from the network (www), so I researched. and found out
(without bootstrapping) you can copy these files, which are used by the
netiso installer, to the root partition by using a live cd to access the
system. This would of course not apply if you have a running system. You
could then just copy them to the partition when booted into your running
system.

Then when you reboot, you can use the grub paramaters mentioned (keeping
in mind the netiso cd will still be needed) to boot into the normal net
install process.

I hope you find what you are looking for. CU

--
Dig"IT!al Ninja

Old 07-07-2008, 09:54 PM
michael

On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 17:56 -0300, Gabriel Parrondo wrote:
> El vie, 04-07-2008 a las 17:24 +0200, Shawn Beasley escribió:
> > michael wrote:
> > > I was following the instructions on, eg Debian_Admin, to attempt an
> > > installation of Debian on a Fedora box (that didn't like the netinst
> > > CD). I have got as far as installing a chroot in /debian_chroot but
> > > cannot work out the final steps needed to be able to boot into the
> > > Debian installation. Could some kind soul help me out? Thanks, M
> >
> > Boot from UbuntuLive or the like (must have a grub boot loader), mount
> > your hard drive and copy the initrd.gz vmlinuz to /root. (found in
> > install.i386)
> >

> OP is not using/installing ubuntu, he's installing debian and using
> fedora. I don't see where ubuntu fits.
> /vmlinuz and /initrd are links to files in /boot, which are installed by
> the kernel package (actually, the initrd is created, not installed).
>

> OP:
> You should chroot in /debian_chroot and run 'aptitude install
> linux-image-architecture'.
> If debootstrap didn't already, also install grub (or lilo if you prefer
> it). Edit fstab (don't forget about /proc) and exit the chroot.
> Then, if you have grub in the fedora system, run 'grub-install
> --root-directory=/debian_chroot /dev/device' and
> edit /debian_chroot/boot/grub/device.map if necessary.
> Re-enter the chroot and run update-grub.
>

> Then make the bios boot from that device, however you do it, and there
> you go.

thanks, that sounds str forward - presumably the 'grub-install' will
write a new MBR so when I reboot the machine it looks in /debian_chroot
(ie I won't see the options from my [Fedora] /boot/grub/menu.lst)? (I'm
wanting to be able to boot into Debian kernel, but if it screws up be
able to go back into Fedora, and then, finally when got a working
Debian, wipe the Fedora and have a Debian (only) system)

many thanks, M

Old 07-07-2008, 11:11 PM
Gabriel Parrondo

El lun, 07-07-2008 a las 22:54 +0100, michael escribió:
> On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 17:56 -0300, Gabriel Parrondo wrote:
> > >
> > > Boot from UbuntuLive or the like (must have a grub boot loader), mount
> > > your hard drive and copy the initrd.gz vmlinuz to /root. (found in
> > > install.i386)
> > >

> > OP is not using/installing ubuntu, he's installing debian and using
> > fedora. I don't see where ubuntu fits.
> > /vmlinuz and /initrd are links to files in /boot, which are installed by
> > the kernel package (actually, the initrd is created, not installed).
> >

> > OP:
> > You should chroot in /debian_chroot and run 'aptitude install
> > linux-image-architecture'.
> > If debootstrap didn't already, also install grub (or lilo if you prefer
> > it). Edit fstab (don't forget about /proc) and exit the chroot.
> > Then, if you have grub in the fedora system, run 'grub-install
> > --root-directory=/debian_chroot /dev/device' and
> > edit /debian_chroot/boot/grub/device.map if necessary.
> > Re-enter the chroot and run update-grub.
> >

> > Then make the bios boot from that device, however you do it, and there
> > you go.
>
> thanks, that sounds str forward - presumably the 'grub-install' will
> write a new MBR so when I reboot the machine it looks in /debian_chroot
> (ie I won't see the options from my [Fedora] /boot/grub/menu.lst)?

That's what the --root-directory parameter does.

> (I'm wanting to be able to boot into Debian kernel, but if it screws up be
> able to go back into Fedora, and then, finally when got a working
> Debian, wipe the Fedora and have a Debian (only) system)

Check the "default" and "savedefault" options in grub's menu.lst.
Basically, you use them to tell grub "boot the default menu item, but
before you do, set this menu entry as default for next reboot(s)"

Old 07-08-2008, 12:58 PM
michael

On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 20:11 -0300, Gabriel Parrondo wrote:
{}

> > > OP:
> > > You should chroot in /debian_chroot and run 'aptitude install
> > > linux-image-architecture'.
> > > If debootstrap didn't already, also install grub (or lilo if you prefer
> > > it). Edit fstab (don't forget about /proc) and exit the chroot.
> > > Then, if you have grub in the fedora system, run 'grub-install
> > > --root-directory=/debian_chroot /dev/device' and
> > > edit /debian_chroot/boot/grub/device.map if necessary.
> > > Re-enter the chroot and run update-grub.
> > >

> > > Then make the bios boot from that device, however you do it, and there
> > > you go.
> >
> > thanks, that sounds str forward - presumably the 'grub-install' will
> > write a new MBR so when I reboot the machine it looks in /debian_chroot
> > (ie I won't see the options from my [Fedora] /boot/grub/menu.lst)?
>
> That's what the --root-directory parameter does.
>
> > (I'm wanting to be able to boot into Debian kernel, but if it screws up be
> > able to go back into Fedora, and then, finally when got a working
> > Debian, wipe the Fedora and have a Debian (only) system)
> >

> Check the "default" and "savedefault" options in grub's menu.lst.
> Basically, you use them to tell grub "boot the default menu item, but
> before you do, set this menu entry as default for next reboot(s)"

Ah, so there will be a new MBR, it will point to /debian_chroot for
Debian linux but still keep the old Fedora paths... I was thinking the
old grub/menu.lst would have been lost during 'grub-install' (which I
can't recall ever using before - have editted menu.lst many a time...)

thanks, M

Old 07-08-2008, 03:28 PM
michael

> > > OP:
> > > You should chroot in /debian_chroot and run 'aptitude install
> > > linux-image-architecture'.
> > > If debootstrap didn't already, also install grub (or lilo if you prefer
> > > it). Edit fstab (don't forget about /proc) and exit the chroot.
> > > Then, if you have grub in the fedora system, run 'grub-install
> > > --root-directory=/debian_chroot /dev/device' and
> > > edit /debian_chroot/boot/grub/device.map if necessary.
> > > Re-enter the chroot and run update-grub.
> > >

> > > Then make the bios boot from that device, however you do it, and there
> > > you go.
> >
> > thanks, that sounds str forward - presumably the 'grub-install' will
> > write a new MBR so when I reboot the machine it looks in /debian_chroot
> > (ie I won't see the options from my [Fedora] /boot/grub/menu.lst)?
>
> That's what the --root-directory parameter does.

I'm being doubly (if not triply!) dense today: apologies!

Can I just copy (Fedora's) /etc/fstab, see below, to /debian_chroot?

[root@veri grub]# cat /etc/fstab
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 / ext3 defaults
1 1
LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults
1 2
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults
0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620
0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults
0 0
proc /proc proc defaults
0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap swap defaults
0 0

### MKB (Sept 2007): 750Gb disk
#/dev/sdb1 /WinXP ntfs defaults 0 2
/dev/sdb2 /data1 ext3
defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 2

### MKB (Sept 2007): nfs4 mount ratty:~michael for user mkb
ratty.phy.umist.ac.uk:/home/michael /home/mkb/ratty nfs hard,intr 0 0

### MKB (Apr 2008): CIFS mount CG-drives
# NB credentials file can only contain username and/or password
//cg-drives.rcs.manchester.ac.uk/mccssmb2 /mnt/CG cifs
uid=1000,gid=1000,file_mode=0600,dir_mode=0700,cre dentials=/home/mkb/cg_cred.txt 0 0

### MKB (Jul 2008): mount new partition for Debian chroot
/dev/VolGroup00/debian /debian_chroot ext3 defaults
1 2

Old 07-10-2008, 02:30 PM
michael

On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 20:11 -0300, Gabriel Parrondo wrote:
> El lun, 07-07-2008 a las 22:54 +0100, michael escribió:

> > > OP is not using/installing ubuntu, he's installing debian and using
> > > fedora. I don't see where ubuntu fits.
> > > /vmlinuz and /initrd are links to files in /boot, which are installed by
> > > the kernel package (actually, the initrd is created, not installed).
> > >

> > > OP:
> > > You should chroot in /debian_chroot and run 'aptitude install
> > > linux-image-architecture'.
> > > If debootstrap didn't already, also install grub (or lilo if you prefer
> > > it). Edit fstab (don't forget about /proc) and exit the chroot.
> > > Then, if you have grub in the fedora system, run 'grub-install
> > > --root-directory=/debian_chroot /dev/device' and
> > > edit /debian_chroot/boot/grub/device.map if necessary.
> > > Re-enter the chroot and run update-grub.
> > >

> > > Then make the bios boot from that device, however you do it, and there
> > > you go.
> >
> > thanks, that sounds str forward - presumably the 'grub-install' will
> > write a new MBR so when I reboot the machine it looks in /debian_chroot
> > (ie I won't see the options from my [Fedora] /boot/grub/menu.lst)?
>
> That's what the --root-directory parameter does.
>
> > (I'm wanting to be able to boot into Debian kernel, but if it screws up be
> > able to go back into Fedora, and then, finally when got a working
> > Debian, wipe the Fedora and have a Debian (only) system)
> >

> Check the "default" and "savedefault" options in grub's menu.lst.
> Basically, you use them to tell grub "boot the default menu item, but
> before you do, set this menu entry as default for next reboot(s)"

also wanted to check there's no prob if /debian_chroot (and others) are
on a LVM?