Old 07-04-2008, 05:47 AM
hce

Default How to add a mount point in fstab?

Hi,

I have a partition in /dev/sda6 which is manually mounted to my user
directory ~/work every time when I start the x window. Is following
command correct to add /dev/sda6 in to the fstab?

/dev/sda6 /hom/mycount/work ext3 0 0

Thank you.

Jim

Old 07-04-2008, 05:55 AM
Ron Johnson

Old 07-04-2008, 05:58 AM
CaT

On Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 12:55:56AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> Changing topic: what ensures that the kernel will always see that
> device as sda, instead of sdb?

udev afaik.

--
"Police noticed some rustling sounds from Linn's bottom area
and on closer inspection a roll of cash was found protruding

Old 07-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Ron Johnson

Old 07-05-2008, 11:34 PM
hce

Old 07-06-2008, 09:42 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Sun, Jul 06, 2008 at 09:34:48AM +1000, hce wrote:
> On 7/4/08, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

> > > I have a partition in /dev/sda6 which is manually mounted to my user
> > > directory ~/work every time when I start the x window. Is following
> > > command correct to add /dev/sda6 in to the fstab?
> > >
> > > /dev/sda6 /hom/mycount/work ext3 0 0
> >

> > You're missing the "options" field. Try this, where $YOU is your
> > username:
> >
> > /dev/sda6 /hom/mycount/work ext3 defaults,noauto,user=$YOU 0 0
> >
> > Changing topic: what ensures that the kernel will always see that
> > device as sda, instead of sdb?
>
> The sda6 is actually a harddisk partition (not for usb stick). kernel
> should have no problem to see it.

You might want to search through the archives for all those cases were
the device name *should* have stayed the same

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 07-06-2008, 04:10 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 07-07-2008, 12:46 AM
hce

Old 07-07-2008, 01:03 AM
Ron Johnson

On 07/06/08 19:46, hce wrote:

> Is this your only internal (including optical) SATA drive? Maybe
> your CD/DVD drive is IDE?
>
>> I am not clear the internal hardware structure, it is an Acer ASPIRE
>> 5920 laptop.

This should help:

$ lspci | grep AHCI

A little Googling shows that it has a SATA HDD.

>> I added a line of "/dev/sda6 /hom/project/work ext3
>> defaults,noauto,user=project 0 0" to the fstab, but it was actually
>> not working, there was an error of "bad line in fstab" during boot
>> (the user is project). Was it the problem as you concerned that kernel
>> could not see it?

See it? No. But, rather, that Linux does not "hard code" SCSI
devices. So, if you have multiple SATA, USB or FireWire devices,
what today is sda might, the next time you boot, be sdb.

Of course course, if you only have 1 SATA device, this all becomes moot.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

York is doomed."

Old 07-07-2008, 05:03 AM
Charlie

On Mon, 7 Jul 2008, hce engaged keyboard and shared this with us all:
>--} /hom/project/work ext3

Silly question but is the above correct or should that be:
/home/project/work ext3

Probably not?
--
Registered Linux User:- 329524