Old 07-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Kent West

Default SOLVED (mostly): How to Boot a Dell Optiplex 320?

Kent West wrote:

Kent West wrote:
Apparently the Dell Optiplex 320 is one odd piece of computer; the
'Net is full of people having trouble installing Linux on it. And
I've just spent a day and a half trying to find a version of Windows
that would install on it so I could update the BIOS to the most
recent version, hoping that'd help.

The best solution I've seen so far is to use this line at the
installer's (Etch, I believe) LILO prompt:

boot: install pci=nomsi

That gets me farther than anything else I've tried, but when it tries
to find the CD-ROM, it can't find the drive. (Apparently there's
something really mucky about the SATA controller on this particular
model of Dell.)

So I tried going the route of doing a network install via
http://www.goodbye-microsoft.com, but it installs grub and doesn't
give me any option to feed the "pci=nomsi" parameter (or any other
similar parameters); I've been unable to find a way to force this
grub install to let me add boot arguments.

Anyone have any suggestions?

(Wow! I never thought I'd consider a Dell to be absolute cr*p, but
this is it.)

Thanks!

http://faculty.acu.edu/~westk/optiplex320-debian.txt

I've just discovered that upgrading from the 2.6.18-6-686 kernel to the
2.6.24-1-686 re-introduces a hang-up on booting. D'oh! (choosing the old
2.6.18 kernel from lilo gets me going again, though - whew! Stupid
Optiplex 320!)

--
Kent West
http://kentwest.blogspot.com

Old 07-04-2008, 01:27 AM
"H.S."

Kent West wrote:

I've just discovered that upgrading from the 2.6.18-6-686 kernel to the
2.6.24-1-686 re-introduces a hang-up on booting. D'oh! (choosing the old
2.6.18 kernel from lilo gets me going again, though - whew! Stupid
Optiplex 320!)

This might not matter, but can you verify that with new kernel, the root
variable is being set as expected in /boot/grub/menu.lst ?

I have had some problems in the past when a kernel upgrade used to
change the root partition. Solution was to fix it in the kopt argument
in menu.lst. Worth a shot, since I find it a bit strange that it won't
work with a new kernel when it worked with 2.6.18.

->HS

Old 07-04-2008, 03:34 AM
Chris Burkhardt

H.S. wrote:
> Kent West wrote:
>>>

>> I've just discovered that upgrading from the 2.6.18-6-686 kernel to
>> the 2.6.24-1-686 re-introduces a hang-up on booting. D'oh! (choosing
>> the old 2.6.18 kernel from lilo gets me going again, though - whew!
>> Stupid Optiplex 320!)
>>

> This might not matter, but can you verify that with new kernel, the root
> variable is being set as expected in /boot/grub/menu.lst ?

Except he's using LILO and not Grub. But Kent might want to make sure
everything in /etc/lilo.conf looks right. Congratulations on getting it going at
all

- chris

Old 07-04-2008, 04:49 AM
"H.S."

Chris Burkhardt wrote:

Except he's using LILO and not Grub. But Kent might want to make sure
everything in /etc/lilo.conf looks right. Congratulations on getting it
going at all

Ah! My bad, I missed that.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:04 AM
Kent West

Chris Burkhardt wrote:

H.S. wrote:
> Kent West wrote:
>>>

>> I've just discovered that upgrading from the 2.6.18-6-686 kernel to
>> the 2.6.24-1-686 re-introduces a hang-up on booting. D'oh! (choosing
>> the old 2.6.18 kernel from lilo gets me going again, though - whew!
>> Stupid Optiplex 320!)
>>

> This might not matter, but can you verify that with new kernel, the
root

> variable is being set as expected in /boot/grub/menu.lst ?

Except he's using LILO and not Grub. But Kent might want to make sure
everything in /etc/lilo.conf looks right. Congratulations on getting
it going at all

Yep, did that. The stanzas are the same as far as the options, etc.
There's just something in the .24 kernel that's not in the .18 that
causes it to hang.

Man, this model of Dell has left me disliking Dell.

--
Kent West

Old 07-04-2008, 08:34 AM
"j t"

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 11:26 PM, Kent West
>>> So I tried going the route of doing a network install via
>>> http://www.goodbye-microsoft.com, but it installs grub and doesn't give me
>>> any option to feed the "pci=nomsi" parameter (or any other similar
>>> parameters); I've been unable to find a way to force this grub install to
>>> let me add boot arguments.
>>>
>>> Anyone have any suggestions?

Kent - Apologies if I've misunderstood because I've come into this
conversation too late, but are you saying that you can get the grub
installation to work successfully, but that when you reboot the
machine afterwards and try to use grub to boot the computer, it fails
because of missing parameters in /boot/grub/menu.list?

Jaime

Old 07-04-2008, 08:43 AM
"j t"

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 9:34 AM, j t <mark473@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 11:26 PM, Kent West

> Kent - Apologies if I've misunderstood because I've come into this
> conversation too late, but are you saying that you can get the grub
> installation to work successfully, but that when you reboot the
> machine afterwards and try to use grub to boot the computer, it fails
> because of missing parameters in /boot/grub/menu.list?
>
> Jaime

Sorry, my bad. Must remember to read the question, must remember to
read the question, must remember... :-)

Old 07-04-2008, 01:23 PM
"H.S."

Kent West wrote:

Yep, did that. The stanzas are the same as far as the options, etc.
There's just something in the .24 kernel that's not in the .18 that
causes it to hang.

One more thing. Though I am not familiar with LILO, when you boot with
the new kernel, is the disk drive detected as the same number as in the
older one, for example sda in both cases?

Also, is your disk drive SATA?

->HS