Old 07-03-2008, 11:21 AM
Anthony Campbell

Default Giving up on Iceweasel 3.0

Well, I struggled with iceweasel 3.0 from Sid for a week but have now
given up. First, printing no longer worked (see earlier posts). I got it
to work, sort of, by using inotifywait and printing the mozilla.ps file
but it wasn't a good solution. Then I found I could no longer listent to
the BBC: attempts to do so caused a crash. This makes it largely useless
so far as I am concerned.

So I've installed the version from Testing and propose to stay with that
unless and until these bugs are fixed. I know there are said to be
security issues with older versions of the browser but I shall have to
hope for the best.

Anthony
--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
and sceptical articles)

Old 07-03-2008, 12:33 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 07-03-2008, 12:37 PM
David Goodenough

On Thursday 03 July 2008, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> Well, I struggled with iceweasel 3.0 from Sid for a week but have now
> given up. First, printing no longer worked (see earlier posts). I got it
> to work, sort of, by using inotifywait and printing the mozilla.ps file
> but it wasn't a good solution. Then I found I could no longer listent to
> the BBC: attempts to do so caused a crash. This makes it largely useless
> so far as I am concerned.
>
> So I've installed the version from Testing and propose to stay with that
> unless and until these bugs are fixed. I know there are said to be
> security issues with older versions of the browser but I shall have to
> hope for the best.
>
> Anthony
> --
> Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
> Microsoft-free zone - Using Debian GNU/Linux
> http://www.acampbell.org.uk (blog, book reviews,
> and sceptical articles)

Well that is very odd. I have a sacrificial machine which I keep up to date
each morning - running unstable.

It has Iceweasel 3.0 installed, and I listen to Radios 4, 7 and the World
Service using it without any problems.

I have also just printed a page from it, and it worked perfectly.

So I guess the problem must be your setup, either than or I am unusually
lucky.

David.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:50 PM
Anthony Campbell

On 03 Jul 2008, David Goodenough wrote:
> On Thursday 03 July 2008, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > Well, I struggled with iceweasel 3.0 from Sid for a week but have now
> > given up. First, printing no longer worked (see earlier posts). I got it
> > to work, sort of, by using inotifywait and printing the mozilla.ps file
> > but it wasn't a good solution. Then I found I could no longer listent to
> > the BBC: attempts to do so caused a crash. This makes it largely useless
> > so far as I am concerned.
> >
> > So I've installed the version from Testing and propose to stay with that
> > unless and until these bugs are fixed. I know there are said to be
> > security issues with older versions of the browser but I shall have to
> > hope for the best.
> >
> > Anthony
> > --
> > Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
> > Microsoft-free zone - Using Debian GNU/Linux
> > http://www.acampbell.org.uk (blog, book reviews,
> > and sceptical articles)
>
> Well that is very odd. I have a sacrificial machine which I keep up to date
> each morning - running unstable.
>
> It has Iceweasel 3.0 installed, and I listen to Radios 4, 7 and the World
> Service using it without any problems.
>
> I have also just printed a page from it, and it worked perfectly.
>
> So I guess the problem must be your setup, either than or I am unusually
> lucky.
>
> David.

I just reinstalled version 3.0 and this time the BBC was working, so I
don't know why it was crashing previously - perhaps something had gone
wrong with the original download.

The printing problem remains. I think it is related to the fact that I
don't use CUPS -- see the earlier posts about this. I am only offered
the possibility to print to file.

Anthony

Old 07-03-2008, 01:51 PM
Anthony Campbell

Old 07-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Ron Johnson

On 07/03/08 08:50, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 03 Jul 2008, David Goodenough wrote:
>> On Thursday 03 July 2008, Anthony Campbell wrote:
>>> Well, I struggled with iceweasel 3.0 from Sid for a week but have now
>>> given up. First, printing no longer worked (see earlier posts). I got it
>>> to work, sort of, by using inotifywait and printing the mozilla.ps file
>>> but it wasn't a good solution. Then I found I could no longer listent to
>>> the BBC: attempts to do so caused a crash. This makes it largely useless
>>> so far as I am concerned.
>>>
>>> So I've installed the version from Testing and propose to stay with that
>>> unless and until these bugs are fixed. I know there are said to be
>>> security issues with older versions of the browser but I shall have to
>>> hope for the best.
>>>
>>> Anthony
>>> --
>>> Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
>>> Microsoft-free zone - Using Debian GNU/Linux
>>> http://www.acampbell.org.uk (blog, book reviews,
>>> and sceptical articles)
>> Well that is very odd. I have a sacrificial machine which I keep up to date
>> each morning - running unstable.
>>
>> It has Iceweasel 3.0 installed, and I listen to Radios 4, 7 and the World
>> Service using it without any problems.
>>
>> I have also just printed a page from it, and it worked perfectly.
>>
>> So I guess the problem must be your setup, either than or I am unusually
>> lucky.
>>
>> David.
>>

> I just reinstalled version 3.0 and this time the BBC was working, so I
> don't know why it was crashing previously - perhaps something had gone
> wrong with the original download.
>
> The printing problem remains. I think it is related to the fact that I
> don't use CUPS -- see the earlier posts about this. I am only offered
> the possibility to print to file.

Have you tried installing xprint?

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

York is doomed."

Old 07-03-2008, 02:12 PM
Anthony Campbell

On 03 Jul 2008, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > I just reinstalled version 3.0 and this time the BBC was working, so I
> > don't know why it was crashing previously - perhaps something had gone
> > wrong with the original download.
> >
> > The printing problem remains. I think it is related to the fact that I
> > don't use CUPS -- see the earlier posts about this. I am only offered
> > the possibility to print to file.
>
> Have you tried installing xprint?

Yes, I have xprint. The problem is that the option to choose lpr has
been removed from iceweasel. I really don't want to move to CUPS just
for this. I regard this as a retrograde step on the part of the the
Iceweasel developers, resulting in loss of choice.

Anthony

Old 07-03-2008, 03:49 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 07-03-2008, 05:06 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Ron Johnson wrote:

I just reinstalled version 3.0 and this time the BBC was working, so I
don't know why it was crashing previously - perhaps something had gone
wrong with the original download.

The printing problem remains. I think it is related to the fact that I
don't use CUPS -- see the earlier posts about this. I am only offered
the possibility to print to file.

Have you tried installing xprint?

Yes, I have xprint. The problem is that the option to choose lpr has
been removed from iceweasel. I really don't want to move to CUPS just
for this. I regard this as a retrograde step on the part of the the
Iceweasel developers, resulting in loss of choice.

s/iceweasel/firefox

But I do see your point. File a bug at Mozilla.com. I'm sure
they'll mark it Wont-fix, though...

Does this work correctly in FF3? I have that but also CUPS so I can't
test it.

Hugo