Old 11-20-2007, 11:33 AM
Mirto Silvio Busico

Default Lenny doesn't recognize virtual disks on a Vmware ESX 3.0 virtual machine.

Hi all,

I have a virtual machine on an ESX 3.0 server.
I installed etch on this machine, but upgrading to lenny gives apt errors.

Si I tried to install afresh lenny.
When the installation arrives to "hard disk detection" it says "no hard
disk found" and tisplays a list of scsi adapters.

I've tried the Lenny DVD and also the netinst CD (downloaded the 20 Nov
2007 version): always the same error.

Any hint?

Thanks
Mirto

Old 11-21-2007, 11:35 AM
Mirto Silvio Busico

Hi all,
the problem is in the 2.6.22 kernel.

I installed etch on an ESX 3.0 Vmware virlual machine (it uses 2.6.18
kernel) and all works fine.
Then I upgraded from etch to lenny (it uses 2.6.22 kernel) after the
reboot the hard disks are not recognized and the boot halts waiting for
root file system to be mounted.

If I start with the old kernel it works again.
I have to do dist-upgrade from time to time and throwing away new kernel
is annoying.

How can I solve this problem?

Thanks
Mirto

Old 11-24-2007, 09:09 AM

On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 01:35:24PM +0100, Mirto Silvio Busico wrote:
> Hi all,
> the problem is in the 2.6.22 kernel.
>
> I installed etch on an ESX 3.0 Vmware virlual machine (it uses 2.6.18
> kernel) and all works fine.
> Then I upgraded from etch to lenny (it uses 2.6.22 kernel) after the
> reboot the hard disks are not recognized and the boot halts waiting for
> root file system to be mounted.
>
> If I start with the old kernel it works again.
> I have to do dist-upgrade from time to time and throwing away new kernel
> is annoying.
>
> How can I solve this problem?

Remove the "linux-image-2.6" package? This package ensures the latest
kernel is installed.

--
Chris.
======