Old 12-03-2007, 06:52 PM
Josip Rodin

Default ftp.debian.org update

Hi,

We're going to be changing ftp.debian.org setup a bit... but first,
a friendly reminder.

Many people seem to think that ftp.debian.org is the canonical location of
Debian packages and that it will be best for them to use that site for apt
or for mirroring. This is *not true*.

ftp.debian.org is merely one of several servers that get updated from an
internal Debian server. That address is presently located on a single server
in the United States, and it still exists mainly for backwards
compatibility.

In the future, it may get services reduced, or shut down, or converted into
a globally load-balanced name, or whatever. Please don't use it.

If you're using it now, please switch to a country-based DNS name
such as ftp.us.debian.org, ftp.ca.debian.org, ftp.uk.debian.org, ...
The list of those servers is at http://www.debian.org/mirror/list

Now, back to the current business. Because of local disk space issues,
ftp.d.o has had intermittent problems over the past few months, and right
now it's simply not able to update the debian archive. It's currently
carrying a full mirror of oldstable, and a 'debian-typical' mirror
(i386, amd64, source) of everything else (stable, testing, unstable).

We'll have to reduce the size of its mirror of oldstable as well, so
that it keeps enough free disk space to be able to update what it has.

(Some time ago, we have contacted all registered mirrors rsyncing off that
machine asking them to switch to a better place. All mirrors with reasonably
responsive maintainers will not be affected; those who have ignored our
advice might notice changes.)

--
Josip Rodin
mirrors@debian.org

Old 12-04-2007, 04:33 AM
"David Fox"

On 12/3/07, Josip Rodin <mirrors@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We're going to be changing ftp.debian.org setup a bit... but first,
> a friendly reminder.

OK, I got bitten and just checked my /etc/apt/sources.list, and
noticed all my debian references were to ftp.debian.org. I beg
penance.

So I switched them all to ftp.us.debian.org, and did a "sudo aptitude
update" yet I am getting a "segmentation fault" as the last line of
that output.

dfox@m206-157:~$ sudo aptitude update
Ign http://tovid.sourceforge.net unstable Release.gpg
Ign http://tovid.sourceforge.net unstable/contrib Translation-en_US
Ign http://tovid.sourceforge.net unstable Release
Ign http://tovid.sourceforge.net unstable/contrib Packages/DiffIndex
Ign http://tovid.sourceforge.net unstable/contrib Sources/DiffIndex
Get:1 http://ftp.us.debian.org testing Release.gpg [189B]
Ign http://tovid.sourceforge.net unstable/contrib Packages
Get:2 http://ftp.debian.org testing Release.gpg [189B]
Ign http://ftp.debian.org testing/main Translation-en_US
Ign http://ftp.debian.org testing/contrib Translation-en_US
Ign http://ftp.debian.org testing/non-free Translation-en_US
Get:3 http://ftp.us.debian.org sid Release.gpg [189B]
Ign http://ftp.us.debian.org sid/main Translation-en_US
Ign http://ftp.us.debian.org sid/contrib Translation-en_US
Ign http://ftp.us.debian.org sid/non-free Translation-en_US
Ign http://tovid.sourceforge.net unstable/contrib Sources
Get:4 http://security.debian.org testing/updates Release.gpg [189B]
Ign http://security.debian.org testing/updates/main Translation-en_US
Hit http://tovid.sourceforge.net unstable/contrib Packages
Hit http://tovid.sourceforge.net unstable/contrib Sources
Get:5 http://ftp.us.debian.org testing Release [68.5kB]
Hit http://ftp.debian.org testing Release
Ign http://security.debian.org testing/updates/contrib Translation-en_US
Get:6 http://security.debian.org testing/updates Release [22.5kB]
Get:7 http://ftp.us.debian.org sid Release [79.6kB]
Get:8 http://debian-multimedia.org testing Release.gpg [189B]
Ign http://debian-multimedia.org testing/main Translation-en_US
Get:9 http://debian-multimedia.org testing Release [5561B]
Hit http://ftp.debian.org testing/main Packages/DiffIndex
Get:10 http://download.tuxfamily.org ./ Release.gpg [189B]
Ign http://download.tuxfamily.org ./ Translation-en_US
Get:11 http://deb.opera.com lenny Release.gpg [189B]
Ign http://deb.opera.com lenny/non-free Translation-en_US
Hit http://ftp.debian.org testing/contrib Packages/DiffIndex
Hit http://ftp.debian.org testing/non-free Packages/DiffIndex
Get:12 http://ftp.us.debian.org testing/main Sources [1394kB]
Hit http://download.tuxfamily.org ./ Release
Hit http://deb.opera.com lenny Release
Ign http://security.debian.org testing/updates/main Packages/DiffIndex
Hit http://debian-multimedia.org testing/main Packages/DiffIndex
Ign http://security.debian.org testing/updates/contrib Packages/DiffIndex
Ign http://security.debian.org testing/updates/main Sources/DiffIndex
Ign http://security.debian.org testing/updates/contrib Sources/DiffIndex
Ign http://download.tuxfamily.org ./ Packages/DiffIndex
Ign http://deb.opera.com lenny/non-free Packages/DiffIndex
Hit http://download.tuxfamily.org ./ Packages
Hit http://debian-multimedia.org testing/main Sources/DiffIndex
Get:13 http://security.debian.org testing/updates/main Packages [106kB]
Ign http://deb.opera.com lenny/non-free Packages
Hit http://deb.opera.com lenny/non-free Packages
Hit http://security.debian.org testing/updates/contrib Packages
Get:14 http://security.debian.org testing/updates/main Sources [13.8kB]
Get:15 http://ftp.us.debian.org testing/contrib Sources [25.4kB]
Hit http://security.debian.org testing/updates/contrib Sources
Get:16 http://ftp.us.debian.org testing/non-free Sources [31.9kB]
Get:17 http://ftp.us.debian.org sid/main Packages [5103kB]
Get:18 http://ftp.us.debian.org sid/contrib Packages [83.6kB]
Get:19 http://ftp.us.debian.org sid/non-free Packages [105kB]
Get:20 http://ftp.us.debian.org sid/main Sources [1467kB]
Get:21 http://ftp.us.debian.org sid/contrib Sources [29.0kB]
Get:22 http://ftp.us.debian.org sid/non-free Sources [34.7kB]
Fetched 8570kB in 44s (191kB/s)
Segmentation faultsts... 95%

I did it again just to be sure, and:

Get:2 http://ftp.us.debian.org sid Release.gpg [189B]
Hit http://ftp.us.debian.org testing Release
Ign http://tovid.sourceforge.net unstable/contrib Packages/DiffIndex
Get:3 http://ftp.debian.org testing Release.gpg [189B]
Get:5 http://debian-multimedia.org testing Release.gpg [189B]
Hit http://ftp.us.debian.org sid Release
Get:6 http://deb.opera.com lenny Release.gpg [189B]
Hit http://security.debian.org testing/updates Release
Get:7 http://download.tuxfamily.org ./ Release.gpg [189B]
Get:8 http://ftp.us.debian.org testing/main Sources/DiffIndex [2023B]
Get:10 http://ftp.us.debian.org testing/contrib Sources/DiffIndex [2023B]
Get:11 http://ftp.us.debian.org testing/non-free Sources/DiffIndex [2023B]
Get:12 http://ftp.us.debian.org sid/main Packages/DiffIndex [2038B]
Hit http://debian-multimedia.org testing/main Packages/DiffIndex
Get:13 http://ftp.us.debian.org sid/contrib Packages/DiffIndex [2023B]
Get:14 http://ftp.us.debian.org sid/non-free Packages/DiffIndex [2023B]
Get:15 http://ftp.us.debian.org sid/main Sources/DiffIndex [2023B]
Get:16 http://ftp.us.debian.org sid/contrib Sources/DiffIndex [2023B]
Get:17 http://ftp.us.debian.org sid/non-free Sources/DiffIndex [2023B]
Hit http://security.debian.org testing/updates/main Packages
Hit http://security.debian.org testing/updates/contrib Packages
Hit http://security.debian.org testing/updates/main Sources
Hit http://download.tuxfamily.org ./ Packages
Hit http://debian-multimedia.org testing/main Sources/DiffIndex
Hit http://security.debian.org testing/updates/contrib Sources
Ign http://deb.opera.com lenny/non-free Packages
Hit http://deb.opera.com lenny/non-free Packages
Fetched 23.8kB in 4s (5406B/s)
Segmentation faultsts... 95%

I notice /var has some space, but maybe not enough?

I'm going to clean /var/cache/apt/archives just in case.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:26 AM
NN_il_Confusionario

On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 09:33:52PM -0800, David Fox wrote:
> Fetched 23.8kB in 4s (5406B/s)
> Segmentation faultsts... 95%
> I'm going to clean /var/cache/apt/archives just in case.

This is better:

rm /var/cache/apt/*pkgcache.bin

Old 12-04-2007, 06:27 AM
Ron Johnson

Old 12-04-2007, 07:45 AM
Stefano Zacchiroli

On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 08:52:00PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> If you're using it now, please switch to a country-based DNS name
> such as ftp.us.debian.org, ftp.ca.debian.org, ftp.uk.debian.org, ...
> The list of those servers is at http://www.debian.org/mirror/list

The PTS is "using" it, in the sense that the links from per-package
pages to the constituents of the source package (.dsc/.diff/...) point
to inner URLs of ftp.debian.org.

Since I don't know where the current PTS page reader is coming from, do
we have a sourceforge-like mirror guesser/chooser which can redirect an
absolute URL pointing into a generic Debian mirror to a country-based
Debian mirror URL?

I'm aware only of URLs like
http://packages.debian.org/sid/bash/i386/download which are use in
packages.d.o, but they are just for .deb. packages.d.o itself is using a
fixed mirror (de) for downloading .dsc/.diff/...

Cheers.

(15:56:48) Zack: e la demo dema ? / All one has to do is hit the
(15:57:15) Bac: no, la demo scema / right keys at the right time

Old 12-04-2007, 07:54 AM
Josip Rodin

On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 01:27:22AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > Many people seem to think that ftp.debian.org is the canonical location of
> > Debian packages and that it will be best for them to use that site for apt
> > or for mirroring. This is *not true*.
> >
> > If you're using it now, please switch to a country-based DNS name
> > such as ftp.us.debian.org, ftp.ca.debian.org, ftp.uk.debian.org, ...
> > The list of those servers is at http://www.debian.org/mirror/list
>
> Does the same go for ../project/experimental?

Yes. All normal mirrors that carry debian/ also have project/experimental.

--
Josip Rodin
mirrors@debian.org

Old 12-04-2007, 05:04 PM
Frank Lichtenheld

On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 09:45:57AM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> I'm aware only of URLs like
> http://packages.debian.org/sid/bash/i386/download which are use in
> packages.d.o, but they are just for .deb. packages.d.o itself is using a
> fixed mirror (de) for downloading .dsc/.diff/...

It used to use ftp.d.o but I switched to de since that is a very
reliable mirror with very good connection.

Gruesse,
--
Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>
www: http://www.djpig.de/

Old 12-04-2007, 07:35 PM
Thierry Chatelet

On Tuesday 04 December 2007 09:54, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 01:27:22AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > > Many people seem to think that ftp.debian.org is the canonical location
> > > of Debian packages and that it will be best for them to use that site
> > > for apt or for mirroring. This is *not true*.

Maybe, it would be wise to remove it from the proposed locations in the
installer!
Thierry

Old 12-04-2007, 08:39 PM
Stefano Zacchiroli

On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 07:04:23PM +0100, Frank Lichtenheld wrote:
> > http://packages.debian.org/sid/bash/i386/download which are use in
> > packages.d.o, but they are just for .deb. packages.d.o itself is using a
> > fixed mirror (de) for downloading .dsc/.diff/...
> It used to use ftp.d.o but I switched to de since that is a very
> reliable mirror with very good connection.

I'm pretty sure you had good reasons for that, and I was aware as well
that de has good connection and is very reliable.

Still, I was wondering if we have a redirector somewhere I was not aware
of. If this is not the case I'll switch to ftp.de as well for the PTS.
(Though that will be in some respect a pity, we have several mirrors and
not a single one for a reason, after all.)

Old 12-04-2007, 08:44 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 09:35:41PM +0100, Thierry Chatelet wrote:

> Maybe, it would be wise to remove it from the proposed locations in the
> installer!
> Thierry

The last installation I recall prompted for a mirror based on my
location (Romania). It offered only Romanian mirrors, the first being
ftp.ro.debian.org (the primary mirror for Romania).

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)