Old 06-27-2008, 07:54 AM
"Artur G. Sibagatullin"

Default Default file manager

Hi All! I'm using GNOME Desktop Environment. I was interested in
alternative file managers and tried to install Thunar file manager. I
don't know how but it became default file manager and when opening from
menu Places any location starts Thunar instead of Nautilus. When trying
to set up default application for the folder the field Open Folder could
not be selected and default is selected Open with Thunar. I removed
Thunar package but no result. This field is still present. How to remove
Thunar and make Nautilus open all Folders and Places?

Old 06-27-2008, 10:07 AM
David Staer

Artur G. Sibagatullin wrote:
> Hi All! I'm using GNOME Desktop Environment. I was interested in
> alternative file managers and tried to install Thunar file manager. I
> don't know how but it became default file manager and when opening from
> menu Places any location starts Thunar instead of Nautilus. When trying
> to set up default application for the folder the field Open Folder could
> not be selected and default is selected Open with Thunar. I removed
> Thunar package but no result. This field is still present. How to remove
> Thunar and make Nautilus open all Folders and Places?

Reinstalling/reconfiguring nautilus may work:
# aptitude reinstall nautilus
or
# dpkg-reconfigure nautilus

Regards
David Staer

Old 06-27-2008, 10:32 AM
"Artur G. Sibagatullin"

> Reinstalling/reconfiguring nautilus may work:
> # aptitude reinstall nautilus
> or
> # dpkg-reconfigure nautilus
Absolutely no result. I remove dthunar package with
#aptitude remove thunar
but Open Folder field still can't be selected and thunar field is
present. See attach

Old 06-27-2008, 10:55 AM
Ron Johnson

Old 06-27-2008, 11:10 AM
"Artur G. Sibagatullin"

> Have you tried restarting X?
Yes. I restarted it

Old 06-27-2008, 01:22 PM
Gabriel Parrondo

El vie, 27-06-2008 a las 15:10 +0400, Artur G. Sibagatullin escribió:
> > Have you tried restarting X?
> Yes. I restarted it

aptitude purge thunar && aptitude reinstall nautilus

If that doesn't do the trick, try finding a line like this:
x-directory/.*=Thunar-folder-handler.desktop;nautilus-folder-handler.desktop;

in the file /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache and replace it with
something like this:
x-directory/.*=nautilus-folder-handler.desktop;

I remember this working back when etch was testing, not sure now.

--
Gabriel Parrondo
GNU/Linux User #404138

"The only difference between theory and practice is that, in theory,
there's no difference between theory and practice."

Old 06-27-2008, 02:26 PM
Mark Grieveson

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 10:32:37 +0000 (UTC)

> > not be selected and default is selected Open with Thunar. I removed
> > Thunar package but no result. This field is still present. How to
> > remove Thunar and make Nautilus open all Folders and Places?
>
> Reinstalling/reconfiguring nautilus may work:
> # aptitude reinstall nautilus
> or
> # dpkg-reconfigure nautilus

You could also check to see if there is a hidden file (.thunar) in
your user's home directory, and, if so, delete this.

Mark

Old 06-27-2008, 02:51 PM
David Staer

Artur G. Sibagatullin wrote:
> How to remove Thunar and make Nautilus open all Folders and Places?

I think if we are going to edit the folder opening handler manually,
then surely it would be where the rest of the file handler entries
would be. Where is that? Would there be some sort of freedesktop
standard for it or something?

Regards
David Staer

Old 06-27-2008, 08:18 PM
Paul Johnson

On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 14:32 +0400, Artur G. Sibagatullin wrote:
> > Reinstalling/reconfiguring nautilus may work:
> > # aptitude reinstall nautilus
> > or
> > # dpkg-reconfigure nautilus
> Absolutely no result. I remove dthunar package with
> #aptitude remove thunar
> but Open Folder field still can't be selected and thunar field is
> present.

Are you restarting your Gnome session after you make changes? Such
changes aren't instant, you have to run the file manager again. Easiest
way is to log out and log back in.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca

Old 06-30-2008, 05:38 AM
"Artur G. Sibagatullin"

> aptitude purge thunar && aptitude reinstall nautilus
> If that doesn't do the trick, try finding a line like this:
> x-directory/.*=Thunar-folder-handler.desktop;nautilus-folder-handler.desktop;
> in the file /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache and replace it with
> something like this:
> x-directory/.*=nautilus-folder-handler.desktop;
> I remember this working back when etch was testing, not sure now.
Very big thanks. It works!