Old 07-01-2008, 01:39 PM
"Artur G. Sibagatullin"

Default Default file manager

One more question. File /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache is
sytemwide.
And where are the settings for user gnome mime types?

Old 07-01-2008, 05:48 PM
Gabriel Parrondo

El mar, 01-07-2008 a las 17:39 +0400, Artur G. Sibagatullin escribió:
> One more question. File /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache is
> sytemwide.
> And where are the settings for user gnome mime types?

In '.local/share/mime/packages', apparently. Take a look at this site:
http://library.gnome.org/admin/system-admin-guide/2.22/mimetypes-modifying.html.en

--
Gabriel Parrondo
GNU/Linux User #404138

"The only difference between theory and practice is that, in theory,
there's no difference between theory and practice."

Old 07-02-2008, 06:21 AM
"Artur G. Sibagatullin"

> In '.local/share/mime/packages', apparently. Take a look at this site:
> http://library.gnome.org/admin/system-admin-guide/2.22/mimetypes-modifying.html.en
Thanks a lot. Next time I'll be more attentive. Thanks for the link.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:48 PM
Jeremy Bicha

GNOME's new Files app (Nautilus) has been a bit controversial. While
the devs have admitted that they should have followed GNOME's feature
proposal process and the UI had some obvious bugs in the 3.5
snapshots, I think Nautilus 3.6 is a clear improvement for most users.

I believe that nautilus 3.8 is the best choice as default file manager
for users and for Ubuntu developers for 13.04. I just don't see
anything else that has the stability, shared maintenance, and
integration with the default desktop that the latest nautilus has.

We should come up with a list of specific requirements that we want
from Nautilus which we can present to developers. Here's my start:

- GtkMenuButton needs to export its menus to dbus for use by the HUD
- While F10 opens the new gear menu, there is no keyboard accessible
way to access the "view menu"
- Traditional keyboard shortcuts like Alt+F, Alt+V, etc. have been
dropped, which I'm thinking could cause trouble for accessibility.

Jeremy

Old 10-13-2012, 08:57 AM
Omer Akram

On Saturday, October 13, 2012, Jeremy Bicha <jbicha@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> GNOME's new Files app (Nautilus) has been a bit controversial. While
> the devs have admitted that they should have followed GNOME's feature

> proposal process and the UI had some obvious bugs in the 3.5
> snapshots, I think Nautilus 3.6 is a clear improvement for most users.
>
> I believe that nautilus 3.8 is the best choice as default file manager

> for users and for Ubuntu developers for 13.04. I just don't see
> anything else that has the stability, shared maintenance, and
> integration with the default desktop that the latest nautilus has.

> We should come up with a list of specific requirements that we want
> from Nautilus which we can present to developers. Here's my start:
>

> - GtkMenuButton needs to export its menus to dbus for use by the HUD

there.. that is the thing that i don't like at all... we need to patch nautilus to show a complete menu bar. nautilus (and other gnome apps) with just one menu + settings cog isn't really that suits very well to Unity.. As file manager is more important than any other [gnome] app we would really want our file manager to look like a real app :-)

So due to that reason it may make sense to switch to some other file manager... even if its currently less maintained and spend a few resources into improving that to a level that is competent enough for the next LTS. I think we have done that in the past "for a greater good"

Thanks.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:00 AM
Sebastien Bacher

Le 13/10/2012 01:48, Jeremy Bicha a écrit :

snapshots, I think Nautilus 3.6 is a clear improvement for most users.

I believe that nautilus 3.8 is the best choice as default file manager
for users and for Ubuntu developers for 13.04.

Right, as mentioned in reply to your other email though I think we just
don't have the resources to play catchup with GNOME that way (or that
it's not the best use of our efforts) so I would suggest we update to
3.6 and resolve the concerns we have with it, we will get 3.8 next cycle
then, etc

Sebastien Bacher

Old 10-13-2012, 07:33 PM
Dylan McCall

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 1:57 AM, Omer Akram <om26er@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> there.. that is the thing that i don't like at all... we need to patch
> nautilus to show a complete menu bar. nautilus (and other gnome apps) with
> just one menu + settings cog isn't really that suits very well to Unity.. As
> file manager is more important than any other [gnome] app we would really
> want our file manager to look like a real app :-)

I agree with you to the extent that Nautilus 3.6 doesn't fit well with
Unity, but this is not localized to Nautilus. This is _almost every
GNOME app going forwards_. In Quantal that includes (to varying
extents) System Log, Contacts, Empathy, Character Map, Disk Usage
Analyzer, many of the default games, Calculator, Font Viewer,
Screenshot and Disks. The number is going up, not down. Incidentally,
that makes them very much real apps Whether it fits with Unity or
not, that is where the vast majority of core applications in Ubuntu
are heading.

For reference, with today's Unity, you will always have something like this:
http://ubuntuone.com/4fX6ac4X8OeJyy2KSTpkvE (Menu bar that says
"EmpathEmpathy" in Ubuntu 12.10).

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 4:00 AM, Sebastien Bacher <seb128@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Right, as mentioned in reply to your other email though I think we just
> don't have the resources to play catchup with GNOME that way (or that it's
> not the best use of our efforts) so I would suggest we update to 3.6 and
> resolve the concerns we have with it, we will get 3.8 next cycle then, etc

I'll admit to looking at this from some distance, but that sounds like
a wasteful strategy, and I suspect it would eventually drain more
resources than trying to solve this 'for good'. If you handle
divergence by patching these applications to fit downstream, without
providing any benefit for upstream, these projects will never stop
diverging — and the divergence is way bigger than Nautilus as it is.
Before talking about file managers, people should talk about how Unity
fits with the direction GNOME applications are going. Because that is
the problem: Unity has a very different vision for how applications
should work than the GNOME project, which it depends on for
applications and development tools.

I think there needs to be a detailed plan for how Ubuntu is going to
solve that problem with upstream. Barring that, there needs to be some
consensus around why solving it upstream is unacceptable. Without that
understanding, I think it would be impossible to make an informed
decision on what to do about Nautilus.

Dylan

Old 10-14-2012, 08:35 AM
Robert Ancell

On 14/10/12 08:33, Dylan McCall wrote:
> Before talking about file managers, people should talk about how Unity
> fits with the direction GNOME applications are going. Because that is
> the problem: Unity has a very different vision for how applications
> should work than the GNOME project, which it depends on for
> applications and development tools. I think there needs to be a
> detailed plan for how Ubuntu is going to solve that problem with
> upstream. Barring that, there needs to be some consensus around why
> solving it upstream is unacceptable. Without that understanding, I
> think it would be impossible to make an informed decision on what to
> do about Nautilus. Dylan

Even worse, we don't even have a definition of what a Unity application
is. So upstreams can never really tell if they are excluding their
applications from use in Unity and how do we determine if an upstream
fits? Note that GNOME has a similar problem in that a GNOME3 app is not
clearly defined (yet) so there is quite some divergence in designs.

--Robert

Old 10-15-2012, 07:26 PM
Sebastien Bacher

Le 13/10/2012 21:33, Dylan McCall a écrit :

I agree with you to the extent that Nautilus 3.6 doesn't fit well with
Unity, but this is not localized to Nautilus. This is _almost every
GNOME app going forwards_.
Right, at the same time I think you listed most of GNOME there, so going
"forwards" it's not likely being an increasing list of those (or
upstream would need to be an hard-buy-in GNOME but the current trend
shows that most app writers are still conservative and care about other
desktops)....

I'll admit to looking at this from some distance, but that sounds like
a wasteful strategy, and I suspect it would eventually drain more
resources than trying to solve this 'for good'. If you handle
divergence by patching these applications to fit downstream, without
providing any benefit for upstream, these projects will never stop
diverging — and the divergence is way bigger than Nautilus as it is.

Well, what you are basically saying that is "nautilus is a file-manager
designed for *GNOME* and GNOME only and they have no intend to support
other desktop, so if we consider unity different from GNOME we better
fork or pick another one?

Before talking about file managers, people should talk about how Unity
fits with the direction GNOME applications are going. Because that is
the problem: Unity has a very different vision for how applications
should work than the GNOME project, which it depends on for
applications and development tools.
Right, that's a valid concern that we need to address, it's a bit
orthogonal to the file manager though (which is part of the base OS). We
don't have really issues with apps so far, no app out of the GNOME
desktop itself has stopped supporting non GNOME users...

I think there needs to be a detailed plan for how Ubuntu is going to
solve that problem with upstream. Barring that, there needs to be some
consensus around why solving it upstream is unacceptable. Without that
understanding, I think it would be impossible to make an informed
decision on what to do about Nautilus.

Well, I'm not sure there is much to "solve" there. GNOME has its desktop
and vision, Ubuntu has a different one, there is no reason we need to
align our designs... it does indeed makes life of app writers harder,
but it seems it's the way it has to be...

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher