Old 06-19-2008, 07:46 PM
"Ivan Glushkov"

Default where is xmms?

Hi all,
I have a sid x64 installed. I am wandering why there is no possibility to install xmms?

lili2:/usr/src# apt-cache search xmms
abraca - A simple and powerful graphical client for XMMS2
ample - A simple MP3 server easy to use

audtty - ncurses based frontend to audacious
cynthiune.app - A free software and romantic music player for GNUstep
esperanza - XMMS2 client which aims to be as feature-full and easy-to-use as possible
flac - Free Lossless Audio Codec - command line tools

fvwm-crystal - Pretty Desktop Environment based on fvwm
gdesklets-data - Applets for gdesklets
gkrellxmms2 - GKrellM plugin to control xmms2
gxmms2 - xmms2 client for the GNOME desktop
icecast-server - MPEG Layer III Streaming Server

kicker-applets - applets for Kicker, the KDE panel
libaudio-xmmsclient-perl - XMMS2 - perl client library
libflac++-dev - Free Lossless Audio Codec - C++ development library
libflac++6 - Free Lossless Audio Codec - C++ runtime library

libflac-dev - Free Lossless Audio Codec - C development library
libflac-doc - Free Lossless Audio Codec - library documentation
libflac8 - Free Lossless Audio Codec - runtime C library
libmodplug-dev - development files for mod music based on ModPlug

libmodplug0c2 - shared libraries for mod music based on ModPlug
libsmpeg0 - SDL MPEG Player Library - shared libraries
libxmmsclient++-dev - XMMS2 - client library for c++ - development files
libxmmsclient++-glib-dev - XMMS2 - glib client library for c++ - development files

libxmmsclient++-glib1 - XMMS2 - glib client library for c++
libxmmsclient++2 - XMMS2 - client library for c++
libxmmsclient-dev - XMMS2 - client library devel files
libxmmsclient-glib-dev - XMMS2 - glib client library - development files

libxmmsclient-glib1 - XMMS2 - glib client library
libxmmsclient-ruby - XMMS2 - Ruby client library
libxmmsclient-ruby1.8 - XMMS2 - Ruby bindings
libxmmsclient3 - XMMS2 - client library
pidgin-musictracker - Plugin for Pidgin which displays the current music track in your status

pidgin-plugin-pack - 30 useful plugins for pidgin
prokyon3 - A mp3 and ogg/vorbis manager and tag editor
pulseaudio - PulseAudio sound server
python-xmmsclient - XMMS2 - Python bindings
pytone - Music jukebox with advanced features for DJs and a text-mode user interface

somaplayer - player audio for the soma suite
vorbisgain - add Replay Gain volume tags to Ogg Vorbis files
wmauda - remote-control dockapp for Audacious
wmxmms2 - remote-control dockapp for XMMS2
xfce4-goodies - enhancements for the Xfce4 Desktop Environment

xmms2 - Client/server based media player system
xmms2-client-avahi - XMMS2 - avahi client
xmms2-client-cli - XMMS2 - cli client
xmms2-client-medialib-updater - XMMS2 - medialib-updater client
xmms2-core - XMMS2 - core package

xmms2-dev - XMMS2 - plugin development files
xmms2-et - XMMS2 - phone home package
xmms2-plugin-all - XMMS2 - all plugins
xmms2-plugin-alsa - XMMS2 - ALSA output
xmms2-plugin-ao - XMMS2 - libao output plugin

xmms2-plugin-asf - XMMS2 - ASF plugin
xmms2-plugin-asx - XMMS2 - ASX playlist plugin
xmms2-plugin-avcodec - XMMS2 - avcodec decoder
xmms2-plugin-avformat - XMMS2 - avformat demuxer
xmms2-plugin-cdda - XMMS2 - CDDA plugin

xmms2-plugin-cue - XMMS2 - CUE playlist plugin
xmms2-plugin-curl - XMMS2 - curl transport for HTTP
xmms2-plugin-daap - XMMS2 - daap plugin
xmms2-plugin-faad - XMMS2 - faad decoder
xmms2-plugin-flac - XMMS2 - flac decoder

xmms2-plugin-gnomevfs - XMMS2 - GnomeVFS transport
xmms2-plugin-ices - XMMS2 - ogg streaming output
xmms2-plugin-icymetaint - XMMS2 - shoutcast metadata plugin
xmms2-plugin-id3v2 - XMMS2 - ID3v2 plugin
xmms2-plugin-jack - XMMS2 - JACK output

xmms2-plugin-lastfm - XMMS2 - Last.FM plugin
xmms2-plugin-m3u - XMMS2 - M3U playlist plugin
xmms2-plugin-mad - XMMS2 - libmad based mp3 decoder
xmms2-plugin-mms - XMMS2 - MMS transport
xmms2-plugin-modplug - XMMS2 - modplug decoder

xmms2-plugin-mp4 - XMMS2 - MPEG-4 plugin
xmms2-plugin-musepack - XMMS2 - mpc decoder
xmms2-plugin-normalize - XMMS2 - Normalize plugin
xmms2-plugin-ofa - XMMS2 - OFA plugin
xmms2-plugin-oss - XMMS2 - OSS output

xmms2-plugin-pls - XMMS2 - PLS playlist plugin
xmms2-plugin-pulse - XMMS2 - pulseaudio output plugin
xmms2-plugin-rss - XMMS2 - RSS podcast plugin
xmms2-plugin-sid - XMMS2 - libsidplay2 based decoder
xmms2-plugin-smb - XMMS2 - Samba transport

xmms2-plugin-vocoder - XMMS2 - vocoder plugin
xmms2-plugin-vorbis - XMMS2 - vorbis decoder
xmms2-plugin-wma - XMMS2 - wma decoder
xmms2-plugin-xml - XMMS2 - XML plugin
xmms2-plugin-xspf - XMMS2 - XSPF playist plugin

xmms2-scrobbler - Audioscrobbler/Last.FM client for xmms2
xmms2tray - systray integration for XMMS2
libflac++5 - Free Lossless Audio Codec - C++ runtime library
libflac7 - Free Lossless Audio Codec - runtime C library

liboggflac++-dev - Free Lossless Audio Codec - C++ development library (ogg)
liboggflac++2 - Free Lossless Audio Codec - C++ runtime library (ogg)
liboggflac-dev - Free Lossless Audio Codec - C development library (ogg)

liboggflac3 - Free Lossless Audio Codec - runtime C library (ogg)
xmms-flac - Free Lossless Audio Codec - XMMS and Beep input plugin
bemused-mpc - control mpd from your phone using bluetooth
lili2:/usr/src#

Cheers,
Ivan

Old 06-19-2008, 09:34 PM
Mark Allums

Ivan Glushkov wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have a sid x64 installed. I am wandering why there is no possibility
> to install xmms?

If I understand correctly, xmms is no longer considered stable or
reliable; it has no maintainer, and has been abandoned by the upstream
maintainer. So, people using it need to transition to something else.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Mark Allums

Old 06-19-2008, 09:48 PM
Michael Shuler

I have a sid x64 installed. I am wandering why there is no possibility
to install xmms?

Audacious is a fork of xmms and works quite well for me.
http://audacious-media-player.org/

--
Kind Regards,
Michael

Old 06-19-2008, 10:04 PM
"Michal R. Hoffmann"

On 19/06/08 22:34, Mark Allums wrote:

Ivan Glushkov wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have a sid x64 installed. I am wandering why there is no possibility
> to install xmms?

If I understand correctly, xmms is no longer considered stable or
reliable; it has no maintainer, and has been abandoned by the upstream
maintainer. So, people using it need to transition to something else.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

I would recommend Audacious. Previously I used winamp on Windows and
xmms on Linux. Audacious is very similar in 'feel', very sleek and does
the job. Plays mp3, mpc, ogg, flac, possibly many more Install
plugins package as well.

--
Kind regards,
Michal R. Hoffmann

Old 06-19-2008, 10:05 PM
"Eugene V. Lyubimkin"

Old 06-19-2008, 11:24 PM
Curt Howland

Old 06-20-2008, 12:00 AM
Paul Johnson

On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 19:24 -0400, Curt Howland wrote:
> It has been replaced by Audacious, which looks and works exactly the
> same.
>
> I liked XMMS, and am happy with Audacious.

Wow, that package changes names every few years, doesn't it? It was
X11Amp, then XMMS, now Audacious...

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca

Old 06-20-2008, 02:02 AM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Ivan Glushkov wrote:

Hi all,
I have a sid x64 installed. I am wandering why there is no possibility
to install xmms?

lili2:/usr/src# apt-cache search xmms

<snip>

I have sid i386 and xmms still shows up:

wmxmms2 - remote-control dockapp for XMMS2
xmms2 - Client/server based media player system
xmms - Versatile X audio player

Specifically wmxmms is handy with fvwm, which audacious doesn't have: it
shows up as a docked application and clicking it will start it.

Hugo

Old 06-20-2008, 02:13 AM
Ron Johnson

Old 06-20-2008, 02:20 AM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Ron Johnson wrote:

I have a sid x64 installed. I am wandering why there is no possibility
to install xmms?

lili2:/usr/src# apt-cache search xmms

<snip>

I have sid i386 and xmms still shows up:

wmxmms2 - remote-control dockapp for XMMS2
xmms2 - Client/server based media player system
xmms - Versatile X audio player

Specifically wmxmms is handy with fvwm, which audacious doesn't have: it
shows up as a docked application and clicking it will start it.

It would be interesting to see what the results of this command are
on your computer:

$ apt-cache policy xmms
xmms:
Installed: (none)