-   -   where is xmms? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/109912-where-xmms.html)

"Ivan Glushkov" 06-19-2008 07:46 PM

where is xmms?

Hi all,
I have a sid x64 installed. I am wandering why there is no possibility to install xmms?

lili2:/usr/src# apt-cache search xmms
abraca - A simple and powerful graphical client for XMMS2
ample - A simple MP3 server easy to use

audtty - ncurses based frontend to audacious
cynthiune.app - A free software and romantic music player for GNUstep
esperanza - XMMS2 client which aims to be as feature-full and easy-to-use as possible
flac - Free Lossless Audio Codec - command line tools

fvwm-crystal - Pretty Desktop Environment based on fvwm
gdesklets-data - Applets for gdesklets
gkrellxmms2 - GKrellM plugin to control xmms2
gxmms2 - xmms2 client for the GNOME desktop
icecast-server - MPEG Layer III Streaming Server

kicker-applets - applets for Kicker, the KDE panel
libaudio-xmmsclient-perl - XMMS2 - perl client library
libflac++-dev - Free Lossless Audio Codec - C++ development library
libflac++6 - Free Lossless Audio Codec - C++ runtime library

libflac-dev - Free Lossless Audio Codec - C development library
libflac-doc - Free Lossless Audio Codec - library documentation
libflac8 - Free Lossless Audio Codec - runtime C library
libmodplug-dev - development files for mod music based on ModPlug

libmodplug0c2 - shared libraries for mod music based on ModPlug
libsmpeg0 - SDL MPEG Player Library - shared libraries
libxmmsclient++-dev - XMMS2 - client library for c++ - development files
libxmmsclient++-glib-dev - XMMS2 - glib client library for c++ - development files

libxmmsclient++-glib1 - XMMS2 - glib client library for c++
libxmmsclient++2 - XMMS2 - client library for c++
libxmmsclient-dev - XMMS2 - client library devel files
libxmmsclient-glib-dev - XMMS2 - glib client library - development files

libxmmsclient-glib1 - XMMS2 - glib client library
libxmmsclient-ruby - XMMS2 - Ruby client library
libxmmsclient-ruby1.8 - XMMS2 - Ruby bindings
libxmmsclient3 - XMMS2 - client library
pidgin-musictracker - Plugin for Pidgin which displays the current music track in your status

pidgin-plugin-pack - 30 useful plugins for pidgin
prokyon3 - A mp3 and ogg/vorbis manager and tag editor
pulseaudio - PulseAudio sound server
python-xmmsclient - XMMS2 - Python bindings
pytone - Music jukebox with advanced features for DJs and a text-mode user interface

somaplayer - player audio for the soma suite
vorbisgain - add Replay Gain volume tags to Ogg Vorbis files
wmauda - remote-control dockapp for Audacious
wmxmms2 - remote-control dockapp for XMMS2
xfce4-goodies - enhancements for the Xfce4 Desktop Environment

xmms2 - Client/server based media player system
xmms2-client-avahi - XMMS2 - avahi client
xmms2-client-cli - XMMS2 - cli client
xmms2-client-medialib-updater - XMMS2 - medialib-updater client
xmms2-core - XMMS2 - core package

xmms2-dev - XMMS2 - plugin development files
xmms2-et - XMMS2 - phone home package
xmms2-plugin-all - XMMS2 - all plugins
xmms2-plugin-alsa - XMMS2 - ALSA output
xmms2-plugin-ao - XMMS2 - libao output plugin

xmms2-plugin-asf - XMMS2 - ASF plugin
xmms2-plugin-asx - XMMS2 - ASX playlist plugin
xmms2-plugin-avcodec - XMMS2 - avcodec decoder
xmms2-plugin-avformat - XMMS2 - avformat demuxer
xmms2-plugin-cdda - XMMS2 - CDDA plugin

xmms2-plugin-cue - XMMS2 - CUE playlist plugin
xmms2-plugin-curl - XMMS2 - curl transport for HTTP
xmms2-plugin-daap - XMMS2 - daap plugin
xmms2-plugin-faad - XMMS2 - faad decoder
xmms2-plugin-flac - XMMS2 - flac decoder

xmms2-plugin-gnomevfs - XMMS2 - GnomeVFS transport
xmms2-plugin-ices - XMMS2 - ogg streaming output
xmms2-plugin-icymetaint - XMMS2 - shoutcast metadata plugin
xmms2-plugin-id3v2 - XMMS2 - ID3v2 plugin
xmms2-plugin-jack - XMMS2 - JACK output

xmms2-plugin-lastfm - XMMS2 - Last.FM plugin
xmms2-plugin-m3u - XMMS2 - M3U playlist plugin
xmms2-plugin-mad - XMMS2 - libmad based mp3 decoder
xmms2-plugin-mms - XMMS2 - MMS transport
xmms2-plugin-modplug - XMMS2 - modplug decoder

xmms2-plugin-mp4 - XMMS2 - MPEG-4 plugin
xmms2-plugin-musepack - XMMS2 - mpc decoder
xmms2-plugin-normalize - XMMS2 - Normalize plugin
xmms2-plugin-ofa - XMMS2 - OFA plugin
xmms2-plugin-oss - XMMS2 - OSS output

xmms2-plugin-pls - XMMS2 - PLS playlist plugin
xmms2-plugin-pulse - XMMS2 - pulseaudio output plugin
xmms2-plugin-rss - XMMS2 - RSS podcast plugin
xmms2-plugin-sid - XMMS2 - libsidplay2 based decoder
xmms2-plugin-smb - XMMS2 - Samba transport

xmms2-plugin-vocoder - XMMS2 - vocoder plugin
xmms2-plugin-vorbis - XMMS2 - vorbis decoder
xmms2-plugin-wma - XMMS2 - wma decoder
xmms2-plugin-xml - XMMS2 - XML plugin
xmms2-plugin-xspf - XMMS2 - XSPF playist plugin

xmms2-scrobbler - Audioscrobbler/Last.FM client for xmms2
xmms2tray - systray integration for XMMS2
libflac++5 - Free Lossless Audio Codec - C++ runtime library
libflac7 - Free Lossless Audio Codec - runtime C library

liboggflac++-dev - Free Lossless Audio Codec - C++ development library (ogg)
liboggflac++2 - Free Lossless Audio Codec - C++ runtime library (ogg)
liboggflac-dev - Free Lossless Audio Codec - C development library (ogg)

liboggflac3 - Free Lossless Audio Codec - runtime C library (ogg)
xmms-flac - Free Lossless Audio Codec - XMMS and Beep input plugin
bemused-mpc - control mpd from your phone using bluetooth
lili2:/usr/src#

Cheers,
Ivan

Mark Allums 06-19-2008 09:34 PM

where is xmms?

Ivan Glushkov wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have a sid x64 installed. I am wandering why there is no possibility
> to install xmms?

If I understand correctly, xmms is no longer considered stable or
reliable; it has no maintainer, and has been abandoned by the upstream
maintainer. So, people using it need to transition to something else.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Mark Allums

Michael Shuler 06-19-2008 09:48 PM

where is xmms?

I have a sid x64 installed. I am wandering why there is no possibility
to install xmms?

Audacious is a fork of xmms and works quite well for me.
http://audacious-media-player.org/

--
Kind Regards,
Michael

"Michal R. Hoffmann" 06-19-2008 10:04 PM

where is xmms?

On 19/06/08 22:34, Mark Allums wrote:

Ivan Glushkov wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have a sid x64 installed. I am wandering why there is no possibility
> to install xmms?

If I understand correctly, xmms is no longer considered stable or
reliable; it has no maintainer, and has been abandoned by the upstream
maintainer. So, people using it need to transition to something else.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

I would recommend Audacious. Previously I used winamp on Windows and
xmms on Linux. Audacious is very similar in 'feel', very sleek and does
the job. Plays mp3, mpc, ogg, flac, possibly many more :) Install
plugins package as well.

--
Kind regards,
Michal R. Hoffmann

"Eugene V. Lyubimkin" 06-19-2008 10:05 PM

where is xmms?

Curt Howland 06-19-2008 11:24 PM

where is xmms?

Paul Johnson 06-20-2008 12:00 AM

where is xmms?

On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 19:24 -0400, Curt Howland wrote:
> It has been replaced by Audacious, which looks and works exactly the
> same.
>
> I liked XMMS, and am happy with Audacious.

Wow, that package changes names every few years, doesn't it? It was
X11Amp, then XMMS, now Audacious...

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca

Hugo Vanwoerkom 06-20-2008 02:02 AM

where is xmms?

Ivan Glushkov wrote:

Hi all,
I have a sid x64 installed. I am wandering why there is no possibility
to install xmms?

lili2:/usr/src# apt-cache search xmms

<snip>

I have sid i386 and xmms still shows up:

wmxmms2 - remote-control dockapp for XMMS2
xmms2 - Client/server based media player system
xmms - Versatile X audio player

Specifically wmxmms is handy with fvwm, which audacious doesn't have: it
shows up as a docked application and clicking it will start it.

Hugo

Ron Johnson 06-20-2008 02:13 AM

where is xmms?

Hugo Vanwoerkom 06-20-2008 02:20 AM

where is xmms?

Ron Johnson wrote:

I have a sid x64 installed. I am wandering why there is no possibility
to install xmms?

lili2:/usr/src# apt-cache search xmms

<snip>

I have sid i386 and xmms still shows up:

wmxmms2 - remote-control dockapp for XMMS2
xmms2 - Client/server based media player system
xmms - Versatile X audio player

Specifically wmxmms is handy with fvwm, which audacious doesn't have: it
shows up as a docked application and clicking it will start it.

It would be interesting to see what the results of this command are
on your computer:

$ apt-cache policy xmms
xmms:
Installed: (none)