Old 06-20-2008, 02:49 AM
Ron Johnson

Default where is xmms?

On 06/19/08 21:20, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:

>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> I have sid i386 and xmms still shows up:

>>> wmxmms2 - remote-control dockapp for XMMS2
>>> xmms2 - Client/server based media player system
>>> xmms - Versatile X audio player
>>>
>>> Specifically wmxmms is handy with fvwm, which audacious doesn't have: it
>>> shows up as a docked application and clicking it will start it.
>>
>> It would be interesting to see what the results of this command are
>> on your computer:
>>
>> $ apt-cache policy xmms
>> xmms:
>> Installed: (none)
>> Candidate: (none)
>> Version table:
>>

> hugo@debian:~$ apt-cache policy xmms
> xmms:
> Installed: 1:1.2.10+20070601-1+b1
> Candidate: 1:1.2.10+20070601-1+b1
> Version table:
> *** 1:1.2.10+20070601-1+b1 0
> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Which indicates that it's not in Sid anymore... Copy those .deb
files to a safe place before doing an "apt-get clean"!!!

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

York is doomed."

Old 06-20-2008, 06:31 AM
"Sven Hoexter"

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 05:00:46PM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 19:24 -0400, Curt Howland wrote:
> > It has been replaced by Audacious, which looks and works exactly the
> > same.
> >
> > I liked XMMS, and am happy with Audacious.
>
> Wow, that package changes names every few years, doesn't it? It was
> X11Amp, then XMMS, now Audacious...

Audacious is a different piece of software forked from bmp and not XMMS.

It's just what most people in search for a small - just player - software
use as a replacement. There are other players around with more features and
different user interfaces like amarok or rythmbox.

Sven
--
If God passed a mic to me to speak
I'd say stay in bed, world

Old 06-20-2008, 12:47 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Ron Johnson wrote:

[...]

No need: I do dpkg-repack and reprepro so I have it in the mirror.
But I am switching to audacious, although that has no windowmaker app to
control it like wmxmms.

Hugo

Old 06-20-2008, 01:15 PM
"Nuno Magalh„es"

Or,
You can use xmms2, which works as a daemon, and use some xmms2 client
(i'm currently using gKrellm plugins).
Both are on the mirrors.

--
Nuno Magalh„es

Old 06-20-2008, 01:32 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Nuno Magalh„es wrote:

Or,
You can use xmms2, which works as a daemon, and use some xmms2 client
(i'm currently using gKrellm plugins).
Both are on the mirrors.

Yes I saw that, xmms2 and wmxmms2.

Hugo

Old 06-20-2008, 01:47 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 11:04:52PM +0100, Michal R. Hoffmann wrote:
> On 19/06/08 22:34, Mark Allums wrote:
>> Ivan Glushkov wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> > I have a sid x64 installed. I am wandering why there is no possibility
>> > to install xmms?
>> >

>> If I understand correctly, xmms is no longer considered stable or
>> reliable; it has no maintainer, and has been abandoned by the upstream
>> maintainer. So, people using it need to transition to something else.
>> I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.
>
> I would recommend Audacious. Previously I used winamp on Windows and
> xmms on Linux. Audacious is very similar in 'feel', very sleek and does
> the job. Plays mp3, mpc, ogg, flac, possibly many more Install
> plugins package as well.

just to jump in... I recommend mpd with some kind of front end. I find
it just the thing: small, and out of the way. It's just a music player
daemon (hence the name). You can control it with a number of different
cli and graphical front ends. I like mpc, a cli frontend. You issue
commands like `mpc play` or `mpc next` etc. Makes it easy to script or
bind to WM keys.

.02

Old 06-20-2008, 02:06 PM
Nate Bargmann

* Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> [2008 Jun 20 08:48 -0500]:
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 11:04:52PM +0100, Michal R. Hoffmann wrote:
> >> >

> >> If I understand correctly, xmms is no longer considered stable or
> >> reliable; it has no maintainer, and has been abandoned by the upstream
> >> maintainer. So, people using it need to transition to something else.
> >> I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.
> >
> > I would recommend Audacious. Previously I used winamp on Windows and
> > xmms on Linux. Audacious is very similar in 'feel', very sleek and does
> > the job. Plays mp3, mpc, ogg, flac, possibly many more Install
> > plugins package as well.

Since I had gotten used to XMMS over the years and then BMP, Audacious
fills my needs very well. My favorite skins are compatible and it just
seems to keep improving. It's miles ahead of where XMMS was at the end
of its run. For those of us who just want a graphical music player
without the overhead of a server or jukebox, etc., it's great to have an
excellent piece of software keep improving.

- Nate >>

Old 06-20-2008, 02:13 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

Nuno Magalh„es wrote:

Or,
You can use xmms2, which works as a daemon, and use some xmms2 client
(i'm currently using gKrellm plugins).
Both are on the mirrors.

Yes I saw that, xmms2 and wmxmms2.

And having tried them, they are totally unlike xmms and wmxmms.
Completely command-line driven.

Hugo

Old 06-20-2008, 02:51 PM
"Nuno Magalh„es"

>> Yes I saw that, xmms2 and wmxmms2.
>>

> And having tried them, they are totally unlike xmms and wmxmms.
> Completely command-line driven.

Well yes, the server is command-line driven; the clients are not. I've
used esperanza but it lacked ramdom playing so i'm using a plugin for
gKrellm. xmms2d actually does have many clients to choose from, many
GUI-clients that is:
http://wiki.xmms2.xmms.se/wiki/Clients

--
Nuno Magalh„es

Old 06-20-2008, 03:01 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Nuno Magalh„es wrote:

Yes I saw that, xmms2 and wmxmms2.

And having tried them, they are totally unlike xmms and wmxmms.
Completely command-line driven.

Well yes, the server is command-line driven; the clients are not. I've
used esperanza but it lacked ramdom playing so i'm using a plugin for
gKrellm. xmms2d actually does have many clients to choose from, many
GUI-clients that is:
http://wiki.xmms2.xmms.se/wiki/Clients

I saw those. But the upshot of it is, in my opinion, that if xmms is
gone, audacious is a simpler replacement.

Hugo