-   -   HP Pavilion serrie DV6700 (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/109620-hp-pavilion-serrie-dv6700.html)

Volkan YAZICI 06-19-2008 11:31 AM

HP Pavilion serrie DV6700

"Bartosz BOGUSZEWSKI" <bboguszewski@gmail.com> writes:
> I've just bought notebook HP Pavilion serrie DV6700 with Core 2 Duo
> T8300 (2.4GHz) and my question is which version of debian should I
> install?? Is Etch AMD64 this one ??

I'm writing this e-mail from a HP Pavilion dv6580et using emacs
installed from Debian GNU/Linux Etch (amd64) repositories. Bluetooth and
fingerprint thingy are the only stuff I couldn't/didn't manage to
install. The rest works ok. (You'll need latest alsa-driver packages
installed seperately; and an extra "alsa model=laptop" line in your
/etc/modules file. I compiled alsa-driver from scratch using source
tarballs.)

Regards.

Tenant 06-19-2008 01:11 PM

HP Pavilion serrie DV6700

Although the poster doesn't say, the dv6700t is Intel and the dv6700z is AMD.

However he does say it's a Core 2 Due, which of course is Intel. So
I'm wondering then why would one install debian with the AMD version?

On a related issue, I'm looking at the dv9700t and wondering how does
the T8300 chip stack up? Is it quick or lagging? I'm thinking about
the next step up, the T9300, which has 6M L2 cache instead of 3M L2
cache of the T8300.

The 17" has room for two hard drives. Has anyone set up dual booting
on such a machine?

"Damon L. Chesser" 06-19-2008 01:37 PM

HP Pavilion serrie DV6700

On Thursday 19 June 2008 09:11:12 am Tenant wrote:
> Although the poster doesn't say, the dv6700t is Intel and the dv6700z is
> AMD.
>
> However he does say it's a Core 2 Due, which of course is Intel. So
> I'm wondering then why would one install debian with the AMD version?

amd64 is the catch all for 64 bit debian. It dates back to the days when amd
had the only consumer 64 bit cpu. If you want a 64 bit system, this is what
you install for amd and intel consumer cpus.

> On a related issue, I'm looking at the dv9700t and wondering how does
> the T8300 chip stack up? Is it quick or lagging? I'm thinking about
> the next step up, the T9300, which has 6M L2 cache instead of 3M L2
> cache of the T8300.

Don't know this, I have been a amd guy. I guess, short of a break through for
amd, I will have to change now.

> The 17" has room for two hard drives. Has anyone set up dual booting
> on such a machine?

I have not, however, I have 4 hds in my desktop. Nothing to it barring some
strange bios settings (raid) that will not allow your machine to "see" two
hds. I will go out on a limb and say this is not the case. Just pick your
hd to install to, install grub on the MBR and away you go.

HTH

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com

Forsaken 06-19-2008 09:30 PM

HP Pavilion serrie DV6700

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 09:11:12 -0400
Tenant <tenant@tenant.net> wrote:

> The 17" has room for two hard drives. Has anyone set up dual booting
> on such a machine?

I don't have an hp laptop, but I do have one that has 2 hard drive bays
in it. Depending on the BIOS, you have to be a little careful... mine
has built in raid options which don't appear in the bios unless there
are two hard drives installed, and it defaults to a RAID1 setup. After
turning that stuff off so that both drives could be seen individually,
it's just like multi-booting on a desktop. I currently have Ubuntu,
OpenBSD and Windows XP on the multiboot for mine.