Old 06-19-2008, 08:12 AM
"James Youngman"

Default Hooks for read-only /usr

I like to have a read-only /usr filesystem. So I have ...

# cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50readonly-usr
DPkg
{
// Auto re-mounting of a readonly /usr
Pre-Invoke {"mount -o remount,rw /usr";};
Post-Invoke {"mount -o remount,ro /usr || true";};
}

Unfortunately this works quite badly. During execution of apt,
services are stopped and started again, so it is frequently the case
that by the time apt runs the Post-invoke hook, processes are holding
open files in /usr. This prevents /usr being re-mounted (that's the
reason for the "|| true"). Is there a better way to do this?

One idea that occurred to me was to have dpkg do this; it could
remount /usr read-write before removing the old files and unpacking
the new, and mount it read-only after perhaps the package
configuration stage (before restarting things).

Anyway, is something like this already possible?

Thanks,
James.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:51 PM
"Mumia W.."

[...]

It may be possible. You could use "at" to schedule the remounting of
/usr at a later time, e.g. 10 minutes:

Post-Invoke {
"echo 'mount -o remount,ro /usr' | at now + 10 minutes
}

You'll have to hope that whatever processes using /usr have finished by
the time the mount command executes, and there will be a window during
which time /usr will be writable. It's kludgy, but I don't think you'll
find a non-kludgy solution for this.

Anyway, good luck.