Old 06-19-2008, 12:00 AM

Default A symlink that stays

Hi.

I am installing ewire on a customers server and it needs a symlink
from libssl.so.0.9.8 to libssl.so, I am worried if apt updates the
version and the symlink suddenly stops working.

Any suggestions as to how to keep track of this? Or another clever
solution?

I am going to forget about this symlink in 5 month from now.

Best regards, Rico.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:33 AM
Ron Johnson

Old 06-19-2008, 02:16 AM

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 20:33:38 -0500

Old 06-19-2008, 02:25 AM
Hubert Chathi

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 02:00:14 +0200, coolzone@it.dk said:

> Hi. I am installing ewire on a customers server and it needs a
> symlink from libssl.so.0.9.8 to libssl.so, I am worried if apt updates
> the version and the symlink suddenly stops working.

> Any suggestions as to how to keep track of this? Or another clever
> solution?

The symlink should be installed in the libssl-dev package.

--
Hubert Chathi <uhoreg@debian.org> -- Jabber: hubert@uhoreg.ca
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA http://www.uhoreg.ca/

Old 06-19-2008, 02:28 AM
Ron Johnson

Old 06-19-2008, 02:50 AM
Ron Johnson

Old 06-19-2008, 06:34 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2008-06-19 04:50 +0200, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 06/18/08 21:25, Hubert Chathi wrote:
>> The symlink should be installed in the libssl-dev package.
>
> Why? Why not in libssl?

Because it would be wrong. When the library ABI changes, a new
libsslx.y.z has to be created _in addition_ to the current libssl0.9.8.
And the symlink should then point to the newer version.

> IOW, why should a production server need to install -dev packages?

Good question, but you should ask the OP why ewire (whatever that may
be, I've never heard of it) needs that symlink.

Sven

Old 06-19-2008, 06:57 AM
Ron Johnson

Old 06-19-2008, 07:29 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2008-06-19 08:57 +0200, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 06/19/08 01:34, Sven Joachim wrote:
>> Because it would be wrong. When the library ABI changes, a new
>> libsslx.y.z has to be created _in addition_ to the current libssl0.9.8.
>> And the symlink should then point to the newer version.
>
> But wouldn't it be the responsibility of package libssl0.9.newer to
> make that change?

The source package building libssl-dev is and will be openssl; if the
bumps ABI, maybe a package openssl098 containing the older version of
the library will be created. But the libssl.so symlink should always
point to the newest version.

You can see that this happened in the past, just look at the packages
[0],[1] in etch.

Sven

[0] http://packages.debian.org/source/etch/openssl097
[1] http://packages.debian.org/source/etch/openssl

Old 06-19-2008, 11:43 PM
Hubert Chathi

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 21:50:41 -0500, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> said:

> On 06/18/08 21:25, Hubert Chathi wrote:
>> On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 02:00:14 +0200, coolzone@it.dk said:
>>
>>> Hi. I am installing ewire on a customers server and it needs a
>>> symlink from libssl.so.0.9.8 to libssl.so, I am worried if apt
>>> updates the version and the symlink suddenly stops working.
>>
>>> Any suggestions as to how to keep track of this? Or another clever
>>> solution?
>>
>> The symlink should be installed in the libssl-dev package.

> Why? Why not in libssl?

> IOW, why should a production server need to install -dev packages?

It shouldn't. Any program (other than a linker) that requires that
symlink is broken.

The soname indicates the version of the ABI (Application Binary
Interface) for the library. If a program tries to use the libssl.so
symlink, and was compiled against one version of OpenSSL, but finds a
different version of OpenSSL with a different ABI version, bad things
may happen. That symlink really should only be used by the linker to
link against the latest version of the library at compile-time, and
shouldn't be used at run-time.