-   -   selecting desktop when installing (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/109387-selecting-desktop-when-installing.html)

Jamie Griffin 06-18-2008 11:02 PM

selecting desktop when installing

Hi

This is probably a very basic question but i'd appreciate any tips.

I installed lenny recently and selected my iso image from here:

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/i386/iso-cd/debian-testing-i386-kde-CD-1.iso

I didn't have any problem installing it's just the desktop is gnome not
kde. The same happened when i selected the iso below it in from the same
mirror which is the xfce desktop.

The installer didn't give an option to select which desktop environment
i wanted, i just assumed it would be kde.

What should i do to get the desktop environment i want?

Jamie

Jamie Griffin 06-19-2008 11:43 AM

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 09:49:32PM -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Wed June 18 2008, Jamie Griffin wrote:
> > http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/i386/iso-cd/debian-testing-
> >i386-kde-CD-1.iso
> >
> > I didn't have any problem installing it's just the desktop is gnome not
> > kde. The same happened when i selected the iso below it in from the same
> > mirror which is the xfce desktop.
>
> when you are at the login screen, there are 2 options on the screen ( lower
> left?) one I think is session type. If you select that, is KDE an option??

Hi Paul

thanks for replying! i did check that already but no, it's not showing
there either.

surely it must be an option i select or something else i need to do
during the installation?

Jamie

Florian Kulzer 06-19-2008 10:08 PM

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 00:02:30 +0100, Jamie Griffin wrote:
> Hi
>
> This is probably a very basic question but i'd appreciate any tips.
>
> I installed lenny recently and selected my iso image from here:
>
> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/i386/iso-cd/debian-testing-i386-kde-CD-1.iso
>
> I didn't have any problem installing it's just the desktop is gnome not
> kde. The same happened when i selected the iso below it in from the same
> mirror which is the xfce desktop.
>
> The installer didn't give an option to select which desktop environment
> i wanted, i just assumed it would be kde.
>
> What should i do to get the desktop environment i want?

With the system up and running you can use your preferred package
manager to install the "kde" metapackage. This will automatically pull
in all the KDE components. Install the "kdm" package as well if you want
a graphical log-in screen. (Do not hesitate to ask for further
clarifications about this procedure if necessary.)

At install time you can type something like

install tasks="kde-desktop, standard"

or

installgui tasks="kde-desktop, standard"

at the boot prompt to get KDE directly. (I hope I remember these
commands correctly; have a look at the installer documentation if this
does not work.)

Florian |