FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-18-2008, 06:36 PM
Paul Cartwright
 
Default can't print from adobe reader

I wanted to print a 1-page coupon that was a PDF doc. Tried adobe reader and
it gave me a whole error page output.
kpdf printed it just fine
adobe error:
the following error occured while printing...
`usage: lpr [-cdfghlmnpqrst][-#num][-1234 font][ -C class][-i [numcols]]
[-j job][-Pprinter][-T title][-U user][-wnum][-name...]'

I'm assuming this is because adobe reader is setup with LPR ?? as opposed to
CUPS?? if so, how do I change it to CUPS ??

oh yeah, running Lenny on my desktop
just ran the latest updates this morning..

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800
Registered Ubuntu User #12459


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 06-18-2008, 07:45 PM
Florian Kulzer
 
Default can't print from adobe reader

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 14:36:54 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> I wanted to print a 1-page coupon that was a PDF doc. Tried adobe reader and
> it gave me a whole error page output.
> kpdf printed it just fine
> adobe error:
> the following error occured while printing...
> `usage: lpr [-cdfghlmnpqrst][-#num][-1234 font][ -C class][-i [numcols]]
> [-j job][-Pprinter][-T title][-U user][-wnum][-name...]'
>
> I'm assuming this is because adobe reader is setup with LPR ?? as opposed to
> CUPS?? if so, how do I change it to CUPS ??

I see all my defined CUPS printers in the Adobe reader print dialog and
they all work. I think this depends on having "cups-bsd" installed.
(Lenny still uses the name "cupsys-bsd" for the relevant package right
now.)

> oh yeah, running Lenny on my desktop
> just ran the latest updates this morning..

You can also set the printer name to "Custom..." in the print dialog in
the Adobe reader, then you can define the print command yourself. If you
are using KDE anyway then you can simply set this command to "kprinter"
(without any parameters) then you will get the usual KDE print dialog
with all its features once you press "OK" in Adobe's print dialog. I
like setting up my system like this because it gives me easy access to
kprinter functions like "Send to Fax" from within the Adobe reader.

--
Regards, | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer
Florian |


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 06-19-2008, 01:47 AM
Paul Cartwright
 
Default can't print from adobe reader

On Wed June 18 2008, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > I'm assuming this is because adobe reader is setup with LPR ?? as opposed
> > to CUPS?? if so, how do I change it to CUPS ??
>
> I see all my defined CUPS printers in the Adobe reader print dialog and
> they all work. I think this depends on having "cups-bsd" installed.
> (Lenny still uses the name "cupsys-bsd" for the relevant package right
> now.)
except that I have that installed:
ii cupsys 1.3.7-5
Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - server
rc cupsys-bsd 1.3.7-5
Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - BSD commands

>
> > oh yeah, running Lenny on my desktop
> > just ran the latest updates this morning..
>
> You can also set the printer name to "Custom..." in the print dialog in
> the Adobe reader, then you can define the print command yourself. If you
> are using KDE anyway then you can simply set this command to "kprinter"
> (without any parameters) then you will get the usual KDE print dialog
> with all its features once you press "OK" in Adobe's print dialog. I
> like setting up my system like this because it gives me easy access to
> kprinter functions like "Send to Fax" from within the Adobe reader.

I changed it to custom. With my printer selected, it showed:
Status: lpq: Epson 880:unknown printer
with custom selected, the printer command showed:
/usr/bin/lp





--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800
Registered Ubuntu User #12459


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 06-19-2008, 10:23 PM
Florian Kulzer
 
Default can't print from adobe reader

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 21:47:18 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Wed June 18 2008, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > > I'm assuming this is because adobe reader is setup with LPR ?? as opposed
> > > to CUPS?? if so, how do I change it to CUPS ??
> >
> > I see all my defined CUPS printers in the Adobe reader print dialog and
> > they all work. I think this depends on having "cups-bsd" installed.
> > (Lenny still uses the name "cupsys-bsd" for the relevant package right
> > now.)
> except that I have that installed:
> ii cupsys 1.3.7-5
> Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - server
> rc cupsys-bsd 1.3.7-5
> Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - BSD commands
>
> >
> > > oh yeah, running Lenny on my desktop
> > > just ran the latest updates this morning..
> >
> > You can also set the printer name to "Custom..." in the print dialog in
> > the Adobe reader, then you can define the print command yourself. If you
> > are using KDE anyway then you can simply set this command to "kprinter"
> > (without any parameters) then you will get the usual KDE print dialog
> > with all its features once you press "OK" in Adobe's print dialog. I
> > like setting up my system like this because it gives me easy access to
> > kprinter functions like "Send to Fax" from within the Adobe reader.
>
> I changed it to custom. With my printer selected, it showed:
> Status: lpq: Epson 880:unknown printer
> with custom selected, the printer command showed:
> /usr/bin/lp

Can you print with the custom setting?

If not, does changing the command to "/usr/bin/lpr" improve the
situation?

In an X terminal, what do you get from these commands:

lpq

lpstat -a

--
Regards, | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer
Florian |


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 06-20-2008, 12:03 AM
Paul Cartwright
 
Default can't print from adobe reader

On Thu June 19 2008, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > I changed it to custom. With my printer selected, it showed:
> > Status: lpq: Epson 880:unknown printer
> > with custom selected, the printer command showed:
> > /usr/bin/lp
>
> Can you print with the custom setting?
>
> If not, does changing the command to "/usr/bin/lpr" improve the
> situation?
I changed it to custom and used /usr/bin/lpr as the command. It accepted it,
then did nothing. No error, but no print.
>
> In an X terminal, what do you get from these commands:
>
> lpq
# lpq
no entries

>
> lpstat -a
# lpstat -a
Epson_880 accepting requests since Sun 10 Feb 2008 12:42:12 PM EST
epson_greyscale accepting requests since Sun 10 Feb 2008 12:43:20 PM EST
EpsonR380 accepting requests since Thu 19 Jun 2008 06:42:49 PM EDT
HP_8100_photoSmart accepting requests since Wed 30 Jan 2008 08:32:36 AM EST
paulandcilla:/etc/dhcp3# lpstat -t
scheduler is running
system default destination: EpsonR380
device for Epson_880: usb://EPSON/Stylus%20COLOR%20880
device for epson_greyscale: usb://EPSON/Stylus%20COLOR%20880
device for EpsonR380: usb://EPSON/Stylus%20Photo%20R380
device for HP_8100_photoSmart:
usb://HP/Photosmart%208100%20series?serial=MY4681M0GS040Z
Epson_880 accepting requests since Sun 10 Feb 2008 12:42:12 PM EST
epson_greyscale accepting requests since Sun 10 Feb 2008 12:43:20 PM EST
EpsonR380 accepting requests since Thu 19 Jun 2008 06:42:49 PM EDT
HP_8100_photoSmart accepting requests since Wed 30 Jan 2008 08:32:36 AM EST
printer Epson_880 is idle. enabled since Sun 10 Feb 2008 12:42:12 PM EST
printer epson_greyscale is idle. enabled since Sun 10 Feb 2008 12:43:20 PM
EST
printer EpsonR380 is idle. enabled since Thu 19 Jun 2008 06:42:49 PM EDT
printer HP_8100_photoSmart is idle. enabled since Wed 30 Jan 2008 08:32:36 AM
EST



--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800
Registered Ubuntu User #12459


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 06-20-2008, 08:14 PM
Florian Kulzer
 
Default can't print from adobe reader

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 20:03:49 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Thu June 19 2008, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > > I changed it to custom. With my printer selected, it showed:
> > > Status: lpq: Epson 880:unknown printer
> > > with custom selected, the printer command showed:
> > > /usr/bin/lp

[...]

> I changed it to custom and used /usr/bin/lpr as the command. It accepted it,
> then did nothing. No error, but no print.

You should also try

/usr/bin/lpr -P EpsonR380
/usr/bin/lp -d EpsonR380

After failed attempts, check ~/.xsession-errors and /var/log/cups/*_log
for clues. If that does not produce anything useful, set "LogLevel
debug" (instead of "warning") in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf, restart cups(ys)
and try again.

> > In an X terminal, what do you get from these commands:
> >
> > lpq
> # lpq
> no entries

Hmm, I see a line "XXX is ready" above the "no entries" one, where "XXX"
is the name of the default printer.

[...]

> paulandcilla:/etc/dhcp3# lpstat -t
> scheduler is running
> system default destination: EpsonR380
> device for Epson_880: usb://EPSON/Stylus%20COLOR%20880
> device for epson_greyscale: usb://EPSON/Stylus%20COLOR%20880
> device for EpsonR380: usb://EPSON/Stylus%20Photo%20R380
> device for HP_8100_photoSmart:
> usb://HP/Photosmart%208100%20series?serial=MY4681M0GS040Z
> Epson_880 accepting requests since Sun 10 Feb 2008 12:42:12 PM EST
> epson_greyscale accepting requests since Sun 10 Feb 2008 12:43:20 PM EST
> EpsonR380 accepting requests since Thu 19 Jun 2008 06:42:49 PM EDT
> HP_8100_photoSmart accepting requests since Wed 30 Jan 2008 08:32:36 AM EST
> printer Epson_880 is idle. enabled since Sun 10 Feb 2008 12:42:12 PM EST
> printer epson_greyscale is idle. enabled since Sun 10 Feb 2008 12:43:20 PM
> EST
> printer EpsonR380 is idle. enabled since Thu 19 Jun 2008 06:42:49 PM EDT
> printer HP_8100_photoSmart is idle. enabled since Wed 30 Jan 2008 08:32:36 AM
> EST

That looks OK to me; let's hope that looking at the log files turns up
something.

--
Regards, | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer
Florian |


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 06-20-2008, 10:07 PM
Paul Cartwright
 
Default can't print from adobe reader

On Fri June 20 2008, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > > > I changed it to custom. With my printer selected, it showed:
> > > > Status: lpq: Epson 880:unknown printer
> > > > with custom selected, the printer command showed:
> > > > /usr/bin/lp
>
> [...]
>
> > I changed it to custom and used /usr/bin/lpr as the command. It accepted
> > it, then did nothing. No error, but no print.
>
> You should also try
>
> /usr/bin/lpr -P EpsonR380
this failed:
unknown printer EpsonR380

> /usr/bin/lp -d EpsonR380

this worked!

Adobe needs to get with it and print to the standard CUPS system!!
thanks for the help.
--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800
Registered Ubuntu User #12459


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:14 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org