Old 06-18-2008, 06:03 PM
Florian Kulzer

Default Mysql fails to install after "aptitude purge mysql-server --purge-unused"

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 18:34:53 -0700, S D wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For some reason mysql fails to install after running "aptitude purge
> mysql-server --purge-unused". I want a clean, fresh mysql installation
> and don't care about what happens to the old mysql data/config
> files/etc. It appears the install scrip is looking for the old
> "/etc/mysql/conf.d/old_passwords.cnf" and fails since it doesn't
> exist.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks
>
> # uname -a
> Linux testsrv 2.6.18-6-686 #1 SMP Sun Feb 10 22:11:31 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
>
> # aptitude purge mysql-server --purge-unused

[...]

> The following packages have been kept back:
> postfix postfix-doc
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
> Writing extended state information... Done
>
> # aptitude install mysql-server

[...]

> The following NEW packages will be automatically installed:
> libdbd-mysql-perl libdbi-perl libnet-daemon-perl libplrpc-perl mysql-client-5.0 mysql-server-5.0
> The following packages have been kept back:
> postfix postfix-doc
> libdbd-mysql-perl libdbi-perl libnet-daemon-perl libplrpc-perl mysql-client-5.0 mysql-server mysql-server-5.0
> 0 packages upgraded, 7 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.

[...]

> Setting up mysql-server-5.0 (5.0.32-7etch5) ...
> Stopping MySQL database server: mysqld.
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/mysql-server-5.0.postinst: line 143: /etc/mysql/conf.d/old_passwords.cnf: No such file or directory
> dpkg: error processing mysql-server-5.0 (--configure):
> subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1

That line in the script reads:

echo -e "# created by debconf
[mysqld]
old_passwords = $RET" > /etc/mysql/conf.d/old_passwords.cnf

This does not seem to require that old_passwords.cnf exists beforehand.
Is there still enough space on all the relevant partitions, does the
/etc/mysql/conf.d/ directory exist?

Can you do this:

touch /etc/mysql/conf.d/old_passwords.cnf

Florian |

Old 06-19-2008, 10:20 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 15:46:41 -0700, S D wrote:
> > That line in the script reads:
> >
> > echo -e "# created by
> > debconf
[mysqld]
old_passwords = $RET" >
> > /etc/mysql/conf.d/old_passwords.cnf
> >
> > This does not seem to require that old_passwords.cnf exists
> > beforehand.
> > Is there still enough space on all the relevant partitions,
>
> Yes, free space doesn't seem to be a problem, there's plenty of it.
>
> > does the
> > /etc/mysql/conf.d/ directory exist?
>
> The "/etc/mysql" directory no longer exists, so no. As I remember the
> first time I tried to purge mysql the "/etc/mysql" directory wasn't
> purged as it had some files in it, so I removed it manually, I wanted
> a new, fresh, clean installation. That, perhaps, was the beginning of
> my downfall.

Maybe you can recreate the /etc/mysql/conf.d/ directory and the
installation will be successful. I see the following directory on my
system:

$ ls -ld /etc/mysql/
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2008-06-11 11:27 /etc/mysql/

$ ls -l /etc/mysql/
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-03-15 19:11 conf.d
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3865 2008-04-25 17:58 my.cnf

Try to create these directories with the same ownership and permissions.

If that does not work then run

dpkg -S etc/mysql

to find out which packages on your system should have files in
/etc/mysql. Then try to reinstall all these packages.

Florian |