Old 07-02-2008, 07:47 PM
John Devereux

Default CAD software for PCB engineering and routing

Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@tamay-dogan.net> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am using "electic" and "geda" but those programs are crap and you can
> not design real PCBs for it. Even my 18 years old MS-DOS software works
> better.
>
> So, my requirements are:
>
> 1) PCB-Layouts up to Extended ATX and 18x11"
> 2) Only ARM and MIPS CPU's (yeah, no i386, sparc powerpc)

I think this requirement will rule out every low cost solution.

> 3) double sided
> 4) double layer
> 5) autorouter
> 6) design template per chip including
> auto placing of capacitors and such
> x)
> y)
> z)
> 997) Export/Import all common formats
> 998) Must definitivly work with Debian GNU/Linux
> 999) Not expensive!
>
> I have already VariCAD runing on a Dual "Opteron 280" with 16 GByte of
> memory plus some 300 GByte SCA-Drives on a ICP Raid-5 and I do not need
> a second program of this caliber.
>
> Any recomandtions?

Eagle is the usual recommendation for Linux PCB, I have not seen it
mentioned here yet (but perhaps I missed it). But I doubt there is a
non-x86 version.

Another reasonably priced one is Vutrax, which is what I use on
Debian.

I think you have one too many "unreasonable" constraints to get a
solution.

You want

low cost --> OK
&& linux --> only ~4
&& non-x86 --> none.

Wine seems to be getting pretty good now, so perhaps you can find
something meant for windows.

--

John Devereux

Old 07-18-2008, 11:14 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/7/2 John Devereux <jd@devereux.me.uk>:
> Wine seems to be getting pretty good now, so perhaps you can find
> something meant for windows.

And when you do, whether or not it works in wine, make sure that you
write to the developer and let them know that you want to use their
program in Linux.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 07-18-2008, 03:40 PM
John Devereux

"Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen@gmail.com> writes:

> 2008/7/2 John Devereux <jd@devereux.me.uk>:
>> Wine seems to be getting pretty good now, so perhaps you can find
>> something meant for windows.
>>

> And when you do, whether or not it works in wine, make sure that you
> write to the developer and let them know that you want to use their
> program in Linux.

Agreed. Another possibility is to ask them to at least take wine users
into account - it may be relatively straightforward for them to allow
for this.

There is an excellent electronics simulation package, LTSpice. While
written for Windows, the author does provide explicit wine support
too.

--

John Devereux