Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian User (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/)
-   -   Lenny (testing) : installation on an existing LVM ? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/109-lenny-testing-installation-existing-lvm.html)

Bruno Costacurta 11-17-2007 02:35 PM

Lenny (testing) : installation on an existing LVM ?
 
Hello to all,

I'm planning to install lenny on a LVM partition.
As I started the installation (via a recent netinst ISO image), the LVM disk
is correctly detected but however it seems I cannot work
with it as the installer suggest to format the partition as it doesn't
recognize anything on it (already have logical volume on it, precisely a
Fedora and a ext2 dedicated to downloads).

Is it possible, via the installer, to install on a LVM ?
If not is there other way to prepare the logical volume separately and then
proceed the installation ?

Thanks.
Bruno


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Gilles Mocellin 11-17-2007 02:41 PM

Lenny (testing) : installation on an existing LVM ?
 
Le Saturday 17 November 2007 16:35:36 Bruno Costacurta, vous avez écrit*:
> Hello to all,
>
> I'm planning to install lenny on a LVM partition.
> As I started the installation (via a recent netinst ISO image), the LVM
> disk is correctly detected but however it seems I cannot work
> with it as the installer suggest to format the partition as it doesn't
> recognize anything on it (already have logical volume on it, precisely a
> Fedora and a ext2 dedicated to downloads).

So, what do you mean when you say "LVM disk is correctly detected" ?
I assume that you mean, the physical disk is detected (driver OK) but not the
LVM Physical Volume on it.

> Is it possible, via the installer, to install on a LVM ?
> If not is there other way to prepare the logical volume separately and then
> proceed the installation ?

I should work, I have already done it.
I think you can report that as a bug.
But before, try other Installation CD or methods (Etch CD, Lenny businesscard,
PXE...), to see if it's only the Netinst CD, or more globally the Debian
Installer kernel/initrd.

Bruno Costacurta 11-18-2007 09:25 AM

Lenny (testing) : installation on an existing LVM ?
 
On Saturday 17 November 2007 16:41, Gilles Mocellin wrote:
> Le Saturday 17 November 2007 16:35:36 Bruno Costacurta, vous avez écrit*:
> > Hello to all,
> >
> > I'm planning to install lenny on a LVM partition.
> > As I started the installation (via a recent netinst ISO image), the LVM
> > disk is correctly detected but however it seems I cannot work
> > with it as the installer suggest to format the partition as it doesn't
> > recognize anything on it (already have logical volume on it, precisely a
> > Fedora and a ext2 dedicated to downloads).
>
> So, what do you mean when you say "LVM disk is correctly detected" ?
> I assume that you mean, the physical disk is detected (driver OK) but not
> the LVM Physical Volume on it.

No. Indeed the Physical Volume LVM is correctly detected but none of the two
filesystems on it (ext3 and ext2) are found.

>
> > Is it possible, via the installer, to install on a LVM ?
> > If not is there other way to prepare the logical volume separately and
> > then proceed the installation ?
>
> I should work, I have already done it.
> I think you can report that as a bug.
> But before, try other Installation CD or methods (Etch CD, Lenny
> businesscard, PXE...), to see if it's only the Netinst CD, or more globally
> the Debian Installer kernel/initrd.

I'll download another ISO and try. I'll keep you in touch.
Bye,
Bruno


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:11 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.