Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian User (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/)
-   -   eth0: no IPv6 router present (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/108682-eth0-no-ipv6-router-present.html)

"Thomas H. George" 06-17-2008 11:32 PM

eth0: no IPv6 router present
 
I built a Debian Live CD with lh_config -a i386 -d lenny --packages 'gdm
openoffice . . .' plus copies of several of my configuration files
including /etc/network/interfaces. All the packages work fine but the
system can't connect to our lan which uses static ip addresses. During
bootup attempts are made to establish DHCP connections. When the bootup
is complete I replace the interfaces file with a copy of the parent
machine's interfaces file and run /etc/init.d/networking restart. The
program responds "Reconfiguring network interfaces . . .done" but the
lan in unreachable. Checking tail /var/log/syslog I find an entry
"eth0: no IPv6 router present". Since the lan is connected to eth0 and
the parent computer has no problem connecting I don't understand what's
wrong or missing.


Tom


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

"Will Murnane" 06-18-2008 12:19 AM

eth0: no IPv6 router present
 
On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 19:32, Thomas H. George <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:
> When the bootup
> is complete I replace the interfaces file with a copy of the parent
> machine's interfaces file and run /etc/init.d/networking restart.
Wouldn't this try to configure it with the same address as the
"parent" machine? Try assigning a different address and see if that
works. If it does, you can put the interfaces file in
.../deb-live/config/chroot_local_includes/etc/network/interfaces and
rebuild.

Assuming this isn't the problem, what does "netstat -rn" and "ifconfig
eth0" show after you've restarted networking?

Lastly, if you'd like to set up a DHCP server (and are allowed to,
ofc) send me a message off-list and I'll help you get a working
configuration.

Will


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

"Thomas H. George" 06-18-2008 01:04 AM

eth0: no IPv6 router present
 
On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 08:19:45PM -0400, Will Murnane wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 19:32, Thomas H. George <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:
> > When the bootup
> > is complete I replace the interfaces file with a copy of the parent
> > machine's interfaces file and run /etc/init.d/networking restart.
> Wouldn't this try to configure it with the same address as the
> "parent" machine? Try assigning a different address and see if that
> works. If it does, you can put the interfaces file in
> .../deb-live/config/chroot_local_includes/etc/network/interfaces and
> rebuild.
>
> Assuming this isn't the problem, what does "netstat -rn" and "ifconfig
> eth0" show after you've restarted networking?
>
> Lastly, if you'd like to set up a DHCP server (and are allowed to,
> ofc) send me a message off-list and I'll help you get a working
> configuration.
>
> Will
>

Some Progress. The ifconfig shows that eth0 has been given the address
169.254.122.180 and will not allow it to be changed or deleted. However
ifconfig will create eth0:0 and allow the address of the parent machine
to be assigned to eth0:0 after which I can successfully ping other
machines on the lan. The catch is there is no option in ifconfig to
define the gateway - e.g. the lan IP address of the firewall - so there
is no access to the internet.

BTW When I say parent machine I mean of course the box on which I built
the Debian Live CD. When I boot this box from the CD there is no address
conflict as the hard drive is not mounted.

Tom
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
>
>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

"Thomas H. George" 06-18-2008 01:20 PM

eth0: no IPv6 router present
 
On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 09:04:42PM -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 08:19:45PM -0400, Will Murnane wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 19:32, Thomas H. George <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:
> > > When the bootup
> > > is complete I replace the interfaces file with a copy of the parent
> > > machine's interfaces file and run /etc/init.d/networking restart.
> > Wouldn't this try to configure it with the same address as the
> > "parent" machine? Try assigning a different address and see if that
> > works. If it does, you can put the interfaces file in
> > .../deb-live/config/chroot_local_includes/etc/network/interfaces and
> > rebuild.
> >
> > Assuming this isn't the problem, what does "netstat -rn" and "ifconfig
> > eth0" show after you've restarted networking?
> >
> > Lastly, if you'd like to set up a DHCP server (and are allowed to,
> > ofc) send me a message off-list and I'll help you get a working
> > configuration.
> >
> > Will
> >
>
> Some Progress. The ifconfig shows that eth0 has been given the address
> 169.254.122.180 and will not allow it to be changed or deleted. However
> ifconfig will create eth0:0 and allow the address of the parent machine
> to be assigned to eth0:0 after which I can successfully ping other
> machines on the lan. The catch is there is no option in ifconfig to
> define the gateway - e.g. the lan IP address of the firewall - so there
> is no access to the internet.
>
> BTW When I say parent machine I mean of course the box on which I built
> the Debian Live CD. When I boot this box from the CD there is no address
> conflict as the hard drive is not mounted.
>
> Tom
> >
> > --
> > To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> > with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
> >
> >
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
>
>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

W Paul Mills 06-18-2008 03:57 PM

eth0: no IPv6 router present
 
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Thomas H. George wrote:
| Some Progress. The ifconfig shows that eth0 has been given the address
| 169.254.122.180 and will not allow it to be changed or deleted. However
| ifconfig will create eth0:0 and allow the address of the parent machine
| to be assigned to eth0:0 after which I can successfully ping other
| machines on the lan. The catch is there is no option in ifconfig to
| define the gateway - e.g. the lan IP address of the firewall - so there
| is no access to the internet.

That is the job of route.

route add default gw xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

- --

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFIWTBuu4tRirKTPYwRAqiRAJ4zwnPByjQjkydUAV+VhT KylO+s/wCdFXPT
H8BselapzUv71JdxBsvLOhw=
=hV56
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

"Thomas H. George" 06-18-2008 05:44 PM

eth0: no IPv6 router present
 
On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 10:57:35AM -0500, W Paul Mills wrote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> Thomas H. George wrote:
> | Some Progress. The ifconfig shows that eth0 has been given the address
> | 169.254.122.180 and will not allow it to be changed or deleted. However
> | ifconfig will create eth0:0 and allow the address of the parent machine
> | to be assigned to eth0:0 after which I can successfully ping other
> | machines on the lan. The catch is there is no option in ifconfig to
> | define the gateway - e.g. the lan IP address of the firewall - so there
> | is no access to the internet.
>
> That is the job of route.
>
> route add default gw xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

I tried 'route add default gw 192.168.2.102' and got an new line in the
response to route reading '0.0.0.0 192.168.2.102 etc' Next I tried
'route add -host 192.168.2.104 gw 192.168.2.102' and the the response to
route was 'debian Cerberus.Zoo 255.255.255.255 UGH 0 0 0 eth0'
where debian is the hostname assigned when the Debian Live CD was built
and I had edited /etc/hosts to associate the names with the IP addresses.

I also edited /etc/resolv.conf to enter the IP address of a Verizion
nameserver.

The network is still unreachable although all the machines
on the lan respond to pings.

Could the problem be the IP address 169.254.122.180 is still assigned to
eth0? I have been unable to remove this and it is always the first item
in the output of ifconfig. It is now followed by an entry for eth0:0
which contains the 192.168.2.102 address. If the firewall sees
169.254.122.180 it will drop the message on the floor.


> - --
>
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (MingW32)
> Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org
>
> iD8DBQFIWTBuu4tRirKTPYwRAqiRAJ4zwnPByjQjkydUAV+VhT KylO+s/wCdFXPT
> H8BselapzUv71JdxBsvLOhw=
> =hV56
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org with a
> subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
>
>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Alex Samad 06-19-2008 02:00 AM

eth0: no IPv6 router present
 
On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 01:44:40PM -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 10:57:35AM -0500, W Paul Mills wrote:
> > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> > Hash: SHA1
> >
> > Thomas H. George wrote:
[snip]

> The network is still unreachable although all the machines
> on the lan respond to pings.
>
> Could the problem be the IP address 169.254.122.180 is still assigned to
> eth0? I have been unable to remove this and it is always the first item
> in the output of ifconfig. It is now followed by an entry for eth0:0
> which contains the 192.168.2.102 address. If the firewall sees
> 169.254.122.180 it will drop the message on the floor.

can I suggest you us ip (from the iproute package).

If you interface was originally a dhcp interface, you have to kill
dhcpclient as well as assigning a new address to the interface.

try
ip addr show dev eth0

then
find and kill any dhcp clients looking on eth0
ip a flush dev eth0

then add your address information

ip a a dev eth0 192.168.2.102/24

use

ip route show

to show your route table

Alex



>
>
> > - --
> >
> > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> > Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (MingW32)
> > Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org
> >
> > iD8DBQFIWTBuu4tRirKTPYwRAqiRAJ4zwnPByjQjkydUAV+VhT KylO+s/wCdFXPT
> > H8BselapzUv71JdxBsvLOhw=
> > =hV56
> > -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
> >
> >
> > --
> > To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org with a
> > subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
> >
> >
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
>
>

--
"...I was raised in West Texas, in the middle of the desert, a long way away from anywhere, hardly. There's a certain set of values you learn in that experience."

- George W. Bush
05/05/2006
Washington, DC

"Thomas H. George" 06-20-2008 01:31 PM

eth0: no IPv6 router present
 
On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 12:00:50PM +1000, Alex Samad wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 01:44:40PM -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 10:57:35AM -0500, W Paul Mills wrote:
> > > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> > > Hash: SHA1
> > >
> > > Thomas H. George wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > The network is still unreachable although all the machines
> > on the lan respond to pings.
> >
> > Could the problem be the IP address 169.254.122.180 is still assigned to
> > eth0? I have been unable to remove this and it is always the first item
> > in the output of ifconfig. It is now followed by an entry for eth0:0
> > which contains the 192.168.2.102 address. If the firewall sees
> > 169.254.122.180 it will drop the message on the floor.
>
> can I suggest you us ip (from the iproute package).
>
> If you interface was originally a dhcp interface, you have to kill
> dhcpclient as well as assigning a new address to the interface.
>
> try
> ip addr show dev eth0
>
> then
> find and kill any dhcp clients looking on eth0
> ip a flush dev eth0
>
> then add your address information
>
> ip a a dev eth0 192.168.2.102/24
>
> use
>
> ip route show
>
> to show your route table
>
> Alex
>
The ip commands removed the dhcp clients and assigned the address
192.168.2.104 to eth0 but still no gateway . I am reading an online
manual and tried adding 'via 192.168.2.102' to the ip command but this
was clearly wrong. ip responded, "Either 'local' is a duplicate or 'via'
is a garbage. I'll study the manual more closely. In any event iproute
is clearly the way to go and fortunately "-d lenny" installed it when I
built the Debian Live CD.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Tom
>
>
> >
> >
> > > - --
> > >
> > > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> > > Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (MingW32)
> > > Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org
> > >
> > > iD8DBQFIWTBuu4tRirKTPYwRAqiRAJ4zwnPByjQjkydUAV+VhT KylO+s/wCdFXPT
> > > H8BselapzUv71JdxBsvLOhw=
> > > =hV56
> > > -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > > To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org with a
> > > subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
> > --
> > To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> > with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
> >
> >
>
> --
> "...I was raised in West Texas, in the middle of the desert, a long way away from anywhere, hardly. There's a certain set of values you learn in that experience."
>
> - George W. Bush
> 05/05/2006
> Washington, DC



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:27 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.