Old 06-17-2008, 09:34 PM
Ron Johnson

Default hard time running a browser

Old 06-17-2008, 09:35 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

tom arnall wrote:
> I am having a hard time running a browser. No matter which I run -- galeon,
> firefox, opera -- it quickly grabs 95+% of the cpu. I am running 2.6.18
> linux.

Does this happen in an specific site (or some sites), or simply by
launching the browser?

--
Coding is easy; All you do is sit staring at a terminal until the drops
of blood form on your forehead.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br
http://move.to/hpkb

Old 06-17-2008, 11:32 PM
tom arnall

On Tuesday 17 June 2008 14:34, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 06/17/08 16:25, tom arnall wrote:
> > I am having a hard time running a browser. No matter which I run --
> > galeon, firefox, opera -- it quickly grabs 95+% of the cpu. I am running
> > 2.6.18
>
> Etch?

yes, Etch.

> > linux.
>
> Seems like you have a more fundamental problem. Try running them
> from an xterm with strace.

what should i look for in the strace output?

Old 06-17-2008, 11:33 PM
tom arnall

On Tuesday 17 June 2008 14:35, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
> tom arnall wrote:
> > I am having a hard time running a browser. No matter which I run --
> > galeon, firefox, opera -- it quickly grabs 95+% of the cpu. I am running
> > 2.6.18 linux.
>
> Does this happen in an specific site (or some sites), or simply by
> launching the browser?

Equal curses no matter what sites I visit. Also, I run galeon and firefox in
safe mode.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:45 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 06-18-2008, 12:04 AM
Paul Johnson

On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 16:33 -0700, tom arnall wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 June 2008 14:35, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
> > tom arnall wrote:
> > > I am having a hard time running a browser. No matter which I run --
> > > galeon, firefox, opera -- it quickly grabs 95+% of the cpu. I am running
> > > 2.6.18 linux.
> >
> > Does this happen in an specific site (or some sites), or simply by
> > launching the browser?
>
> Equal curses no matter what sites I visit. Also, I run galeon and firefox in
> safe mode.

Have you tried running them in normal mode instead? I don't know for
sure, but safe mode may create additional overhead.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca