-   -   Revamped system-search icons set (take 2) (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/108159-revamped-system-search-icons-set-take-2-a.html)

Luya Tshimbalanga 06-17-2008 07:37 AM

Revamped system-search icons set (take 2)

A draft for system-search with tweaking following tips about grid
(version a).
The shape looks like more binocular. The colour palette is not complete
yet. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Luya

Nicu Buculei 06-17-2008 08:00 AM

Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:

A draft for system-search with tweaking following tips about grid
(version a).
The shape looks like more binocular. The colour palette is not complete
yet. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

I think that one is much better looking. I guess you will have to
maintain two versions: this one for large size and a greatly simplified
one for 16x16.

Martin Sourada 06-17-2008 09:19 AM

On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 00:37 -0700, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> A draft for system-search with tweaking following tips about grid
> (version a).
> The shape looks like more binocular. The colour palette is not complete
> yet. Comments and suggestions are welcome.
>

> Luya

> http://luya.fedorapeople.org/echo/actions/

Looking great. The fills could be perhaps brighter to better contrast
with the strokes, on the other hand the lenses seem too bright (perhaps
use middle metal grey as base colour and have the brightest spots,
perhaps in echo-blue, in their centre and little to the right). I would
also suggest to make the shadow more following the shape, meaning that
it could be "thinner" and more transparent in the middle, where nothing
stand directly on the ground.

I am looking forward to the simplified smaller versions ;-)

Oh and perhaps the objective tubes might be a little less conic, meaning
that it might look better if their upper part was a little wider than
it's now.

Martin

Luya Tshimbalanga 06-18-2008 08:03 AM

Nicu Buculei a écrit :
> Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
>> A draft for system-search with tweaking following tips about grid
>> (version a).
>> The shape looks like more binocular. The colour palette is not complete
>> yet. Comments and suggestions are welcome.
>
> I think that one is much better looking. I guess you will have to
> maintain two versions: this one for large size and a greatly
> simplified one for 16x16.

Done, new versions available at

Nicu Buculei 06-18-2008 08:26 AM

Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:

Nicu Buculei a écrit :

I think that one is much better looking. I guess you will have to
maintain two versions: this one for large size and a greatly
simplified one for 16x16.

Done, new versions available at
http://luya.fedorapeople.org/echo/actions/

Good work, that is the way to go, now the 16x16px icon really looks like
binoculars, the previous version was just a green letter "H".

Martin Sourada 06-18-2008 09:27 AM

On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 01:03 -0700, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> Nicu Buculei a écrit :
> > Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> >> A draft for system-search with tweaking following tips about grid
> >> (version a).
> >> The shape looks like more binocular. The colour palette is not complete
> >> yet. Comments and suggestions are welcome.
> >
> > I think that one is much better looking. I guess you will have to
> > maintain two versions: this one for large size and a greatly
> > simplified one for 16x16.
> >
> Done, new versions available at
> http://luya.fedorapeople.org/echo/actions/
>
> Luya

Good work, still I have some comments to it. The icons are aligned to
grid only partially (only in some parts) [1], there are some problems
with gradients (most of them should be in the opposite way), and the
shadow seems a little misplaced. I addressed these issues in the 48x48
version, plus added some changes I think makes the icon better, take
whatever you want from it, but please fix (in all the sizes) the issues
I mentioned (crispness, gradients, shadow). When these issues are fixed
I deem the icon ready for upload.

I attach the fixed (and a little modified) 48x48 version. The things I
modified:

* fixed the gradients in fills and made them less intensive
* temporarily removed gradients in strokes (should be re-added when the
rest of the icon is finished)
* fixed pixel grid alignment
* made the lenses semi-transparent (0.3 opacity) in order to look more
realistic
* minor changes to the shadow size and positioning
* made the objective part a little less conic

Martin

https://fedorahosted.org/echo-icon-theme/wiki/Guidelines/CommonMistakes

PS: note that due to, most likely, some bug in the svg rendering
library, objects with blur applied are rendered on wrong positions in
the SVG when displayed in nautilus, so take the PNG generated in
inkscape (or the SVG displayed in inkscape) for a reference for the
correct positions.

Luya Tshimbalanga 06-19-2008 08:18 AM

Nicu Buculei a écrit :

Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:

[...]

Fixed for all size and added subtle gradient for outlines.

http://luya.fedorapeople.org/echo/actions/

PS: note that due to, most likely, some bug in the svg rendering
library, objects with blur applied are rendered on wrong positions in
the SVG when displayed in nautilus, so take the PNG generated in
inkscape (or the SVG displayed in inkscape) for a reference for the
correct positions.

Interesting. Looks like other icons themes were affected...

Luya

Martin Sourada 06-19-2008 01:02 PM

On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 01:18 -0700, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:

> Fixed for all size and added subtle gradient for outlines.
> http://luya.fedorapeople.org/echo/actions/

The smaller icons than 48x48 still lack crispness, which is caused by
these two things:
* too low contrast between fills and outlines
* not perfect alignment to pixel grid

I've (mostly) fixed these, see the attachments. One of the techniques
that allowed me to easier fit the pixel grid is using 0.75 px wide lines
(which still retains the good contrast between outline and fills, adds
subtler look than 1 px wide and is easier to fit in the grid)...

> > PS: note that due to, most likely, some bug in the svg rendering
> > library, objects with blur applied are rendered on wrong positions in
> > the SVG when displayed in nautilus, so take the PNG generated in
> > inkscape (or the SVG displayed in inkscape) for a reference for the
> > correct positions.
> >

> Interesting. Looks like other icons themes were affected...

Most of the gnome-icon-theme SVGs I've ever opened in inkscape didn't
used blur because for elliptic shadow the blur effect can be imitated by
semi-transparent radial gradient :-)

> Luya

The attached icons + the 48x48 and 256x256 d-versions (from your
fedorapeople page) I consider ready for upload to git, so if you are OK
with them as well, feel free to upload them :-)

Martin

Luya Tshimbalanga 06-19-2008 07:36 PM

Revamped system-search icons set (take 2)

Martin Sourada 06-19-2008 08:08 PM

Revamped system-search icons set (take 2)

> That will be worth to mention in the tutorial.
Yup, I'll add it.

> Pushed these icons in the tree but, for some reasons, I dont see the
> update inside browse source. Let me know it the push was succesfull.

You pushed it to the 0.3.x branch only [1]. Also would be good to push
the source SVGs as well. Then switch to master branch [1] and push them
there as well. If you know of easy way to push the same files to more
than one branch, please add it to the Working with Git [2] tutorial :)

I usually push them to master branch first, build a new rpm from it and
then copy it over from /usr/share/icons/echo-icon-theme along with the
necessary symlinks, but I believe there should be more convenient way,
using git commands only...

In the 0.3.x branch you'll also need to create necessary symlinks,
convenient way is to copy them over from already installed
gnome-icon-theme (where they are generated during build, like in master
branch of echo-icon-theme).

Both the Browse Source [4] and Status Page [5] look into the master
branch, therefore you don't see there your commit.

Also don't forget that in the master branch you need to add the icons to
the Makefile.am in each folder in order to be included in install, you
should be able to figure how to do it by looking how it's done for other
icons.

> Luya
Martin