FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-16-2008, 10:24 PM
"Dotan Cohen"
 
Default Root sending messages to users

The wife uses one computer, I use another. We are both connected to
the internet via a router, as such we can SSH into one another's
boxen. Is there a way to pop up a message on the wife's machine, by
SSHing in and having root access. We both use KDE 3.x if it matters. I
notice that when I shutdown her machine remotely, she gets a popup
message stating that the computer is going down, so I see that the
basic infrastructure of having root pop up messages to users is in
place.

Thanks in advance.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
 
Old 06-16-2008, 11:44 PM
Alfredo Finelli
 
Default Root sending messages to users

On Tuesday 17 June 2008 00:24, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> The wife uses one computer, I use another. We are both connected to
> the internet via a router, as such we can SSH into one another's
> boxen. Is there a way to pop up a message on the wife's machine, by
> SSHing in and having root access. We both use KDE 3.x if it matters.
> I notice that when I shutdown her machine remotely, she gets a popup
> message stating that the computer is going down, so I see that the
> basic infrastructure of having root pop up messages to users is in
> place. [...]

Hi,

you can use the standard "xmessage" program to open a pop-up containing
the message of your choice in X Window. To make this work the user who
wants to show the message must be allowed access to the X display
belonging to the user on whose screen the message has to appear.

Best regards,

Alfredo


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 06-17-2008, 04:01 AM
 
Default Root sending messages to users

Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
DC> The wife uses one computer, I use another. We are both connected to
DC> the internet via a router, as such we can SSH into one another's
DC> boxen. Is there a way to pop up a message on the wife's machine, by
DC> SSHing in and having root access. We both use KDE 3.x if it matters. I

does no one use 'talk' anymore?

lish "i never realized
crank@got.net ignoring him was an option." -sp


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 06-17-2008, 04:41 AM
"Owen Townend"
 
Default Root sending messages to users

On 17 Jun 2008 04:01:26 GMT, i'll teach you to turn away. <crank@got.net> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> DC> The wife uses one computer, I use another. We are both connected to
> DC> the internet via a router, as such we can SSH into one another's
> DC> boxen. Is there a way to pop up a message on the wife's machine, by
> DC> SSHing in and having root access. We both use KDE 3.x if it matters. I
>
> does no one use 'talk' anymore?
>
> lish "i never realized
> crank@got.net ignoring him was an option." -sp
>
>

Hey,
Talking is a viable option, though less convenient depending on the
distance between the computers. My brother and I used to chat over
msn/gtalk despite being in the same house. A normal use case was
sending a link then going to his room to show/chat about the page.
Without the initial step then either I'd have to go get him and bring
him back to my pc or take up more time trying to navigate back to the
same page.
You could always setup your own internal chat server or join up to
one of the mainstream ones, though xmessage may fulfill the need as
`echo "hey"|xmessage -nearmouse -file -` is simple enough.

cheers,
Owen.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 06-17-2008, 05:03 AM
Rich Healey
 
Default Root sending messages to users

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Owen Townend wrote:
> On 17 Jun 2008 04:01:26 GMT, i'll teach you to turn away. <crank@got.net> wrote:
>> Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
>> DC> The wife uses one computer, I use another. We are both connected to
>> DC> the internet via a router, as such we can SSH into one another's
>> DC> boxen. Is there a way to pop up a message on the wife's machine, by
>> DC> SSHing in and having root access. We both use KDE 3.x if it matters. I
>>
>> does no one use 'talk' anymore?
>>
>> lish "i never realized
>> crank@got.net ignoring him was an option." -sp
>>
>>
>
> Hey,
> Talking is a viable option, though less convenient depending on the
> distance between the computers. My brother and I used to chat over
> msn/gtalk despite being in the same house. A normal use case was
> sending a link then going to his room to show/chat about the page.
> Without the initial step then either I'd have to go get him and bring
> him back to my pc or take up more time trying to navigate back to the
> same page.
> You could always setup your own internal chat server or join up to
> one of the mainstream ones, though xmessage may fulfill the need as
> `echo "hey"|xmessage -nearmouse -file -` is simple enough.
>
> cheers,
> Owen.
>
>
My housemates and I use msn for talking crap, and my irc network for
shouting abuse at each other in a more readable way.

- --
Rich Healey - healey.rich@gmail.com
Developer / Systems Admin - OpenPGP: 0x8C8147807
MSN: bitchohealey@hotmail.com AIM: richohealey33
irc.psych0tik.net -> #hbh #admins richohealey
irc.freenode.org -> #hbh #debian PythonNinja
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFIV0W+LeTfO4yBSAcRAr0HAKC6cKNbA2XCzPGOoQg9VV SMzj0AzQCfeXDV
zyE0GgjLeovKx74H6MU1kp0=
=XHnQ
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 06-17-2008, 05:07 AM
Daniel Burrows
 
Default Root sending messages to users

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 02:41:50PM +1000, Owen Townend <owen.townend@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> On 17 Jun 2008 04:01:26 GMT, i'll teach you to turn away. <crank@got.net> wrote:
> > Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> > DC> The wife uses one computer, I use another. We are both connected to
> > DC> the internet via a router, as such we can SSH into one another's
> > DC> boxen. Is there a way to pop up a message on the wife's machine, by
> > DC> SSHing in and having root access. We both use KDE 3.x if it matters. I
> >
> > does no one use 'talk' anymore?
> >
> > lish "i never realized
> > crank@got.net ignoring him was an option." -sp
> >
> >
>
> Hey,
> Talking is a viable option, though less convenient depending on the
> distance between the computers. My brother and I used to chat over

I think he means talk(1).

Package: talk
State: not installed
Version: 0.17-13
Description: Chat with another user
Talk is a visual communication program which copies lines from your
terminal to that of another user.

In order to talk locally, you will need to install the talkd package.


Daniel


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 06-17-2008, 05:08 AM
Daniel Burrows
 
Default Root sending messages to users

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 01:24:45AM +0300, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> The wife uses one computer, I use another. We are both connected to
> the internet via a router, as such we can SSH into one another's
> boxen. Is there a way to pop up a message on the wife's machine, by
> SSHing in and having root access. We both use KDE 3.x if it matters. I
> notice that when I shutdown her machine remotely, she gets a popup
> message stating that the computer is going down, so I see that the
> basic infrastructure of having root pop up messages to users is in
> place.

Aside from the suggestions you've gotten from other people: the
program that's sending that message is probably write(1).

Daniel


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 06-17-2008, 05:32 AM
"Owen Townend"
 
Default Root sending messages to users

On 17/06/2008, Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 02:41:50PM +1000, Owen Townend <owen.townend@gmail.com> was heard to say:
>
> > On 17 Jun 2008 04:01:26 GMT, i'll teach you to turn away. <crank@got.net> wrote:
> > > Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > DC> The wife uses one computer, I use another. We are both connected to
> > > DC> the internet via a router, as such we can SSH into one another's
> > > DC> boxen. Is there a way to pop up a message on the wife's machine, by
> > > DC> SSHing in and having root access. We both use KDE 3.x if it matters. I
> > >
> > > does no one use 'talk' anymore?
> > >
> > > lish "i never realized
> > > crank@got.net ignoring him was an option." -sp
> > >
> > >
> >
> > Hey,
> > Talking is a viable option, though less convenient depending on the
> > distance between the computers. My brother and I used to chat over
>
>
> I think he means talk(1).
>
> Package: talk
> State: not installed
> Version: 0.17-13
> Description: Chat with another user
> Talk is a visual communication program which copies lines from your
> terminal to that of another user.
>
> In order to talk locally, you will need to install the talkd package.
>
>
>
> Daniel
>
>

ehem, right, sorry.

cheers,
Owen.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 06-17-2008, 09:09 AM
"Dotan Cohen"
 
Default Root sending messages to users

Thanks, all. xmessage seems to work fine for popping up simple
one-liners, which is exactly what I had wanted to do. talk and write
may be of use in the future, however. Thanks.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
 
Old 06-17-2008, 08:29 PM
Michelle Konzack
 
Default Root sending messages to users

Am 2008-06-17 01:24:45, schrieb Dotan Cohen:
> The wife uses one computer, I use another. We are both connected to
> the internet via a router, as such we can SSH into one another's
> boxen. Is there a way to pop up a message on the wife's machine, by
> SSHing in and having root access. We both use KDE 3.x if it matters. I
> notice that when I shutdown her machine remotely, she gets a popup
> message stating that the computer is going down, so I see that the
> basic infrastructure of having root pop up messages to users is in
> place.


From your machine you could do a:

> ssh root wife-machine -c 'su - wife -c"echo "I will kill your machine NOW! |xmessage -display :0.0 -file -" && shutdown -r now'

or:

apt-get install linpopup

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
Michelle Konzack
Systemadministrator
24V Electronic Engineer
Tamay Dogan Network
Debian GNU/Linux Consultant


--
Linux-User #280138 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org/
##################### Debian GNU/Linux Consultant #####################
Michelle Konzack Apt. 917 ICQ #328449886
+49/177/9351947 50, rue de Soultz MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193 67100 Strasbourg/France IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:45 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org