Old 06-20-2008, 04:02 AM
Rich Healey

Default Root sending messages to users

Old 06-20-2008, 08:12 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/6/20 Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com>:
> Does 'sudo wall' work for you? I don't have a machine handy to try -

No, wall is inappropriate because she is in KDE, not a terminal.

> but it used to pop up in X too IIRC
> Sends it to everybody - but if it's a one user box...

Well, it is a one-user box, but she is that user! When I SSH in I SSH in as her.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 06-20-2008, 01:49 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 4:12 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/6/20 Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com>:
>> Does 'sudo wall' work for you? I don't have a machine handy to try -

> No, wall is inappropriate because she is in KDE, not a terminal.

>> but it used to pop up in X too IIRC
>> Sends it to everybody - but if it's a one user box...

> Well, it is a one-user box, but she is that user! When I SSH in I SSH in as her.

Darn it, now you've got me digging. I'm sure on an old box I had
(Redhat 7.2 maybe?) wall messages were posted in X as well
automatically. But I can' t figure out how now....

Brian

Old 06-20-2008, 02:08 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 06-20-2008, 02:10 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/6/20 Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com>:
> Darn it, now you've got me digging. I'm sure on an old box I had
> (Redhat 7.2 maybe?) wall messages were posted in X as well
> automatically. But I can' t figure out how now....

It seems my Fedora box is running kwrited which can display messages
from wall / write / etc..

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 06-20-2008, 02:12 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/6/20 Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>:
>> Well, it is a one-user box,
>
> No it's not. Unix hasn't just had "meat" users in 30 years. If you
> don't believe me, cat her box's /etc/passwd.

I meant, the only human user.

>> but she is that user! When I SSH in I SSH in as her.
>
> That's horrible security practice. Add an account for yourself, and
> ssh in under it.

I only SSH in from the LAN for a few seconds time ever. I update her
system with apt-get, I copy over a file, stuff like that. There is no
NAT on the router, so SSH is not forwarded in from outside.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 06-20-2008, 02:19 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 06-20-2008, 05:20 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/6/20 Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>:
> Even if, in this instance, there's no "harm" (she's you're wife,
> after all), it's still Bad Practice, and that makes for Bad Habits.
>
> In 15 seconds you can create user "dotan" on that machine, and log
> in as it, then sudo or su to do whatever you need to do.

In theory I agree with you 100%, and I appreciate you taking the time
to teach me best practices. In practice, the only non-root work that I
do on that machine is put / get files from her user account. So in 90%
of the cases I would SSH into dotan just to su into ety, and in the
other 10% of cases I would SSH into dotan just to run sudo commands.

Additionally, should I have a dotan account on that machine I will
habitually back it up, and always worry that there are files there
that I need to know about, and set up the environment just how I like,
and and and... I don't need any of that.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 06-20-2008, 09:38 PM
Paul Johnson

On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 20:20 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Additionally, should I have a dotan account on that machine I will
> habitually back it up, and always worry that there are files there
> that I need to know about, and set up the environment just how I like,
> and and and... I don't need any of that.

Isn't it possible to have a script that mounts your home directory from
a remote location automatically?

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca