Old 06-17-2008, 08:30 PM
Michelle Konzack

Default Root sending messages to users

Am 2008-06-17 04:01:26, schrieb i'll teach you to turn away.:
> Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> DC> The wife uses one computer, I use another. We are both connected to
> DC> the internet via a router, as such we can SSH into one another's
> DC> boxen. Is there a way to pop up a message on the wife's machine, by
> DC> SSHing in and having root access. We both use KDE 3.x if it matters. I
>
> does no one use 'talk' anymore?

Ehm, this is for the console... Better: xtakl or linpopup

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
Michelle Konzack
Systemadministrator
24V Electronic Engineer
Tamay Dogan Network
Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

Michelle Konzack Apt. 917 ICQ #328449886
+49/177/9351947 50, rue de Soultz MSN LinuxMichi

Old 06-17-2008, 08:35 PM
Michelle Konzack

Am 2008-06-16 22:07:45, schrieb Daniel Burrows:
> I think he means talk(1).
>
> Package: talk
> State: not installed
> Version: 0.17-13
> Talk is a visual communication program which copies lines from your
> terminal to that of another user.
>
> In order to talk locally, you will need to install the talkd package.

Why not:

Package: xtalk
Version: 1.3-15
XTalk is a visual communication program which copies lines from your
terminal to that of another user. This is an X Window System version,
written in Python.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:00 PM

Owen Townend <owen.townend@gmail.com> wrote:
OT> On 17 Jun 2008 04:01:26 GMT, i'll teach you to turn away. <crank@got.net> wrote:
>> does no one use 'talk' anymore?
OT> Talking is a viable option, though less convenient depending on the
OT> distance between the computers. My brother and I used to chat over

i think you're going to have to leave this newsgroup after a
response like that.

lish "figured out what you're good for:
crank@got.net making anything look better." -uc

Old 06-18-2008, 06:01 PM

Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@tamay-dogan.net> wrote:
MK> Am 2008-06-17 04:01:26, schrieb i'll teach you to turn away.:
>> does no one use 'talk' anymore?
MK> Ehm, this is for the console... Better: xtakl or linpopup

does no one use CLI anymore?

lish "i left all my kinder parts
crank@got.net rusting & peeling." -mm

Old 06-18-2008, 07:10 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 06:01:21PM +0000, i'll teach you to turn away. wrote:
> Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@tamay-dogan.net> wrote:
> MK> Am 2008-06-17 04:01:26, schrieb i'll teach you to turn away.:
> >> does no one use 'talk' anymore?
> MK> Ehm, this is for the console... Better: xtakl or linpopup
>
> does no one use CLI anymore?

xmonad, urxvt, mutt, emacs-nox, mpc, irssi, screen...

Old 06-18-2008, 08:27 PM
"elijah r."

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 1:00 PM, i'll teach you to turn away.
<crank@got.net> wrote:
> Owen Townend <owen.townend@gmail.com> wrote:
> OT> On 17 Jun 2008 04:01:26 GMT, i'll teach you to turn away. <crank@got.net> wrote:
>>> does no one use 'talk' anymore?
> OT> Talking is a viable option, though less convenient depending on the
> OT> distance between the computers. My brother and I used to chat over
>
> i think you're going to have to leave this newsgroup after a
> response like that.

I don't think that knowing what all the utilities are or how to use
them should be a prerequisite to being a member of this list. Perhaps
I am mistaken, but I am under the impression that this mailing list at
least partially serves to share knowledge and help with other debian
users. So, you are defeating the purpose of the list by telling
people to leave for not knowing that 'talk' is a program. You'd make
good use of the list if you offered some helpful insight. Remember
that mailing lists are usually archived and indexed, so chances are
you'd be helping more than just the current members of the list.

Regards,
Elijah

Old 06-18-2008, 08:33 PM

elijah r. <elijahr@gmail.com> wrote:
er> On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 1:00 PM, i'll teach you to turn away.
>> i think you're going to have to leave this newsgroup after a
>> response like that.
er> I don't think that knowing what all the utilities are or how to use
er> them should be a prerequisite to being a member of this list. Perhaps
er> I am mistaken, but I am under the impression that this mailing list at

hahaha dude, i was joking. relax please.

lish "you're worth your weight
crank@got.net in truth." -cr

Old 06-18-2008, 10:30 PM
"Owen Townend"

On 18 Jun 2008 18:00:44 GMT, i'll teach you to turn away. <crank@got.net> wrote:
> Owen Townend <owen.townend@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> OT> On 17 Jun 2008 04:01:26 GMT, i'll teach you to turn away. <crank@got.net> wrote:
> >> does no one use 'talk' anymore?
>
> OT> Talking is a viable option, though less convenient depending on the
> OT> distance between the computers. My brother and I used to chat over
>
> i think you're going to have to leave this newsgroup after a
> response like that.

*whoosh*, yeah, I completely missed talk(1).
Where do I turn in my geek card...

I still stand by my comment. In its own right it makes sense, though
being in response to a misunderstanding makes me look the fool.
C'est la vie.

cheers,
Owen.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:06 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/6/17 Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@tamay-dogan.net>:
> From your machine you could do a:
>
>> ssh root wife-machine -c 'su - wife -c"echo "I will kill your machine NOW! |xmessage -display :0.0 -file -" && shutdown -r now'
>
> or:
>
> apt-get install linpopup

Thanks. Linpopup doesn't quite fit the bill, but xmessage does. Well,
it would if it supported UTF-8...

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 06-20-2008, 02:58 AM

Owen Townend <owen.townend@gmail.com> wrote:
>> OT> Talking is a viable option, though less convenient depending on the
>> OT> distance between the computers. My brother and I used to chat over
>> i think you're going to have to leave this newsgroup after a
>> response like that.
OT> *whoosh*, yeah, I completely missed talk(1).
OT> Where do I turn in my geek card...

well, at least you run debian & not ubuntu... right? ;D

lish "you were nothing
crank@got.net but a brief distraction." -ftf