Old 06-16-2008, 09:09 PM
"Thomas H. George"

Default Problem switching to static IP address

I have built a very nice Debian Live CD but with two problems.

One, I can't switch to the static IP addressed used by my lan. I
included a copy of my interfaces file in chroot_local-includes. When I
boot from the CD I can substitute this file in /etc/network but I can't
find a way to shutdown the network and restart it with the substituted
file. I must have failed to include some package as there is no network
entry in the Debian/Applications drop down list.

(Bringing along my special config files does work very nicely in other
cases. Specifically, I have an xorg.conf file which allows me to use a
Wacom tablet. After booting from the cd I substitute a copy of this
file and restart gdm and the Wacom tablet works perfectly.)

My second problem must also be an omitted package as only root has a
terminal window.

The CD is 575 MB. I hope a couple small packages might correct these
problems without taking more than the remaining space.

Tom

Old 06-17-2008, 12:02 AM
"Marcos José Sant'Anna Magalhães"

Hi Thomas,

Can't you just use "/etc/init.d/networking restart" ?

Marcos

[...]

Engenharia Eletrônica e de Computação.
DEL/POLI/UFRJ.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:06 PM
"Thomas H. George"

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 09:02:39PM -0300, Marcos José Sant'Anna Magalhães wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Can't you just use "/etc/init.d/networking restart" ?
>
> Marcos

It doesn't work. That is if I edit ifstate to set eth0=eth0 and restart
networking it reports the network is reconfigured but the network is
still unreachable (I tried pinging another computer on the lan) and
ifconfig shows the settings of eth0 are unchanged, are still the
settings from bootup during which the system looked for a DHCP
connection and found none.

Tom

Old 06-17-2008, 09:22 PM
"Robert Baron"

Have you tried using ifconfig?

Old 06-18-2008, 11:56 AM
"Marcos José Sant'Anna Magalhães"

just to be sure, does your firewall rules allows you to ping other computers ?

Old 06-18-2008, 12:48 PM
"Thomas H. George"

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 08:56:31AM -0300, Marcos José Sant'Anna Magalhães wrote:
> just to be sure, does your firewall rules allows you to ping other computers
> ?

Yes

Old 06-21-2008, 06:44 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 05:09:01PM -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> I have built a very nice Debian Live CD but with two problems.

A bit late, but maybe still useful.

> One, I can't switch to the static IP addressed used by my lan. I included
> a copy of my interfaces file in chroot_local-includes. When I boot from
> the CD I can substitute this file in /etc/network but I can't find a way to
> shutdown the network and restart it with the substituted file. I must have
> failed to include some package as there is no network entry in the
> Debian/Applications drop down list.

For setting a static IP you have to use boot parameters. Check the
manpage initramfs-live(7). You can use the 'ip' option to either set all
network parameters or ip=frommedia to have it use your 'interfaces'
file.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 07-12-2008, 08:11 PM
"Stephen Yorke"

Thomas,
I use a VERY basic script to set a static IP address on my
LiveCD's...here is the script I use:

#!/bin/sh
# Get Static IP Information

printf "What IP Address do you want to assign to this computer? "
read IPADDR
printf "What Subnetmask do you want to assign to this computer? "
read SUBNET
printf "What Gateway do you want to assign to this computer? "
read GATEWAY

# Shutdown networking and create a new INTERFACES file
ifdown eth0
/etc/init.d/networking stop
rm -f /etc/network/interfaces

cat <<INTERFACES > /etc/network/interfaces
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address $IPADDR
netmask $SUBNET
gateway $GATEWAY

INTERFACES

# Bring networking back online
/etc/init.d/networking start
ifup eth0

# End IP Configuration

-Stephen (AKA Screwba)

Old 07-12-2008, 08:20 PM
"Stephen Yorke"

I do not set DNS information as this does get assigned by my DHCP Server
but if you need a script to do it as well, you can add this after
getting the IP Information in the first script I sent:

# Place this after the reading of IP information
printf "What is the Primary DNS Server? "
read DNS1
printf "What is the Secondary DNS Server? "
read DNS2

rm -f /etc/resolv.conf

# Place this after 'cat << INTERFACES > /etc/network/interfaces'
cat <<RESOVLCONF > /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver $DNS1
nameserver $DNS2
RESOLVCONF

If you want to specify a DOMAIN you can copy one of the above PRINTF
statements and ask for DOMAIN NAME, add a section to the CAT statement:
domain $DOMAIN

If you want to specify a Domain Suffix you can copy one of the above
PRINTF statements and ask for SEARCH SUFFIX, add a section to the CAT
statement: search $SUFFIX

-Stephen (AKA Screwba)