Old 06-16-2008, 03:32 PM
"Gelonia L Dent"

Default reboot problems

Dear Debian Users,

I am working on a diskless cluster which runs Debian 2.6.17. I rebooted
the machine and lost the ssh, dhcp, most shell commands and the NFS
filesystem . The system boots using GRUB. I've tried to restart all of
these daemons but with no success.

Any ideas on how to fix this mess?

Kind regards,

GL

Old 06-16-2008, 04:21 PM
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi

Gelonia L Dent wrote:

> Dear Debian Users,
>
> I am working on a diskless cluster which runs Debian 2.6.17. I rebooted
> the machine and lost the ssh, dhcp, most shell commands and the NFS
> filesystem . The system boots using GRUB. I've tried to restart all of
> these daemons but with no success.
>
> Any ideas on how to fix this mess?

Connect the master node to a monitor and post the exact error messages you
see on the screen. That would be more helpful, IMHO.

raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/

Old 06-17-2008, 12:46 AM
Raj Kiran Grandhi

Gelonia L Dent wrote:

Dear Debian Users,

I am working on a diskless cluster which runs Debian 2.6.17. I rebooted
the machine and lost the ssh, dhcp, most shell commands and the NFS
filesystem . The system boots using GRUB. I've tried to restart all of
these daemons but with no success.

Did you reboot the master or one of the slave nodes? If you rebooted the
master, then you will have to reboot all the slave nodes also, if the
cluster is diskless.

Also, the kernel version you are using is odd. The version in etch is
2.6.18. Are you running etch? Or something older?

Any ideas on how to fix this mess?

Kind regards,

GL

-- Albert Einstein

Old 06-17-2008, 06:58 AM
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi

Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:

> Gelonia L Dent wrote:
>> Dear Debian Users,
>>
>> I am working on a diskless cluster which runs Debian 2.6.17. I rebooted
>> the machine and lost the ssh, dhcp, most shell commands and the NFS
>> filesystem . The system boots using GRUB. I've tried to restart all of
>> these daemons but with no success.
>
> Did you reboot the master or one of the slave nodes? If you rebooted the
> master, then you will have to reboot all the slave nodes also, if the
> cluster is diskless.

Why? Would n't the image get updated automatically?

raju

Old 06-17-2008, 08:37 AM
Raj Kiran Grandhi

Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:

Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:

Gelonia L Dent wrote:

Dear Debian Users,

I am working on a diskless cluster which runs Debian 2.6.17. I rebooted
the machine and lost the ssh, dhcp, most shell commands and the NFS
filesystem . The system boots using GRUB. I've tried to restart all of
these daemons but with no success.

Did you reboot the master or one of the slave nodes? If you rebooted the
master, then you will have to reboot all the slave nodes also, if the
cluster is diskless.

Why? Would n't the image get updated automatically?

What happens when the nfs root filesystem disappears? Can linux recover?
I don't know, but I guess the node can't really go on.

But, does a diskless setup have any real advantages given the low price
of storage these days? IMHO it is much better to have a small disk in
each node and have the node boot from its own disk. Let /, /boot and
swap remain local to each node and nfsmount the rest. With systemimager
and friends, it is not difficult at all to keep the nodes in sync.

raju

-- Albert Einstein

Old 06-18-2008, 04:50 PM
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi

Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:

> But, does a diskless setup have any real advantages given the low price
> of storage these days? IMHO it is much better to have a small disk in
> each node and have the node boot from its own disk. Let /, /boot and
> swap remain local to each node and nfsmount the rest. With systemimager
> and friends, it is not difficult at all to keep the nodes in sync.

I agree. One advantage of having diskless cluster is that the amount of heat
generated is less than what it would be if there are lot of hard drives
spinning around. It is probably not of a concern if there is a good cooling
system around. Just thought I would mention about it in case you
overlooked.

raju

Old 06-19-2008, 02:02 AM
Alex Samad

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 12:50:09PM -0400, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
> Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
>
> > But, does a diskless setup have any real advantages given the low price
> > of storage these days? IMHO it is much better to have a small disk in
> > each node and have the node boot from its own disk. Let /, /boot and
> > swap remain local to each node and nfsmount the rest. With systemimager
> > and friends, it is not difficult at all to keep the nodes in sync.
>
> I agree. One advantage of having diskless cluster is that the amount of heat
> generated is less than what it would be if there are lot of hard drives
> spinning around. It is probably not of a concern if there is a good cooling
> system around. Just thought I would mention about it in case you
> overlooked.

SSD or boot from flash USB drive ?

> raju
> --
> Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
> http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/kk288/
> http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/

"It's one thing about insurance, that's a Washington term."

- George W. Bush

Old 07-13-2010, 12:29 PM
"Bonno Bloksma"

Hi,

Machine is a HP Proliant DL 140 with 2 SCSI disks. Raid 1 is done via md.
Several partitions made for / (md1), /boot (md0), /var (md3) and /usr (md2). Machine is used as
router/firewall.

About 2 years ago I installed Debian etch on it. For a long time I did not update the kernel because
I had problems with the default NIC driver and every apt update/upgrade cycle would remove the extra
Intel driver. I did apply all other patches.
A few months after Lenny came out I started upgrading the kernel to the latest etch version and
noticed the default NIC drivers supported my hardware. A few months after that I upgraded to Lenny
and the machine is now running the latest Lenny release.

I may have been with the etch kernel upgrade or it may have been one of the next upgrades but...
after that the machine will not reboot. It will hang just after stopping the md devices.

The last lines on the screen are (from paper as I cannot copy from a stopped machine):
md: Stopping all md devices
[...]
md: md1 still in use
will now restart (might be a few more lines up)
sd: 1:0:0:0 [sdb] stopping disk
sd: 0:0:0:0 [sda] stopping disk
ACPI:PCI interupt for device 0000:06:00.1 disabled
ACPI:PCI interupt for device 0000:06:00.0 disabled

And that's it. After that the machine will hang and I need to hold the power butten for a few
seconds to shut it off and then power it back on.

Maybe I did not look properly on the net but I have not been able to find if this is a problem for
just me or if there are others with this specific problem. Lot's of general reboot problems but is
this one known?
Does anyone know where I can find more information about troubleshooting this problem. The fact that
I cannot reboot this machine remote or scheduled during the night is becoming quite a problem.

Bonno Bloksma

Archive: E1E4482551EE41E0B129EAD1E5C313FF@staf.tio.nl">http ://lists.debian.org/E1E4482551EE41E0B129EAD1E5C313FF@staf.tio.nl

Old 07-16-2010, 08:05 AM
"Bonno Bloksma"

Hi,

So far no response to the problem below. Is there not enough information to make an educated guess
to the cause or is realy to complex to make any guess?

Show I report it as a debian bug?
What else can I do to solve this problem. I am limited in my testing time as this machine is
responsible for a lot of traffic and has a big impact when it is down.

----------<quote>---------------------------------

Archive: E440D977BE9B4F5680B84E7FC9D6C81B@staf.tio.nl">http ://lists.debian.org/E440D977BE9B4F5680B84E7FC9D6C81B@staf.tio.nl

Old 07-16-2010, 04:22 PM
Stan Hoeppner

Bonno Bloksma put forth on 7/16/2010 3:05 AM:
> Hi,
>
> So far no response to the problem below. Is there not enough information
> to make an educated guess to the cause or is realy to complex to make
> any guess?
> Show I report it as a debian bug?
> What else can I do to solve this problem. I am limited in my testing
> time as this machine is responsible for a lot of traffic and has a big
> impact when it is down.

Read this:

http://blogs.koolwal.net/2009/08/04/howto-fix-linux-hangfreeze-during-reboots-and-restarts/

If those suggestions don't work, try "acpi=off" as a boot parameter. See the
documentation for your boot loader for implementation details. Kernel boot
parameters are specified differently between LILO and Grub/2. If all of these
fails to solve the problem, disable power management completely in the BIOS
setup if it has such an option.

--
Stan