Old 06-16-2008, 06:21 AM
Volkan YAZICI

Default qemu ISO Boot Failure (CDROM boot failure code : 0004)

Hi,

Via qemu, trying to install Windows Server 2003 Standard (x86-64) on a
machine which has AMD Turion 64 X2 processor. When I try to fire up qemu
using CDROM ISO image

# dd of=/home/windows/windows-20G.img
> bs=1024 seek=$[1024 * 1024 * 20] count=0
# qemu -boot d -localtime -m 512
> -cdrom /home/windows/windows-server-2003-standard-x86-64-sp2.iso
> -hda /home/windows/windows-20G.img

qemu complains that

ata0 master: QEMU HARDDISK ATA-7 Hard-Disk (20480 MBytes)
ata1 master: QEMU CD-ROM ATAPI-4 Cd-Rom/Dvd-Rom

CDROM boot failure code : 0004
Boot from Cd-Rom failed
FATAL: Could not read the boot disk

I searched previous posts and read related posts/articles listed by
google, but nothing useful. Yes, I can use the original CDROM but I
wonder what's wrong with using an ISO image. I'll be appreciated if
anybody can help.

Regards.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:49 AM
Volkan YAZICI

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008, Volkan YAZICI <yazicivo@ttmail.com> writes:
> qemu complains that
>
> ata0 master: QEMU HARDDISK ATA-7 Hard-Disk (20480 MBytes)
> ata1 master: QEMU CD-ROM ATAPI-4 Cd-Rom/Dvd-Rom
>
> CDROM boot failure code : 0004
> Boot from Cd-Rom failed
> FATAL: Could not read the boot disk
>
> I searched previous posts and read related posts/articles listed by
> google, but nothing useful. Yes, I can use the original CDROM but I
> wonder what's wrong with using an ISO image. I'll be appreciated if
> anybody can help.

BTW, I just learnt that using /dev/scd0 instead of ISO image gives the
same complaint too.

Regards.