Old 06-16-2008, 03:16 AM
Hal Vaughan

Default Monitoring Net Traffic From the Console or Another Comptuer

I have a workstation and several other computers on my LAN, all running
Linux -- either Debian or Ubuntu (Kubuntu for the workstation, Sarge on
the rest -- please don't start on the version, I'll be updating it in
my copious amounts of free time one year).

I am connecting to a computer through ssh and running some Perl programs
on it. I need to be able to see what is going out from that computer
to a web site so I can verify the HTTP headers and data going both
ways. If this were on the workstation, I'd use Wireshark, but this
system is console only and I'm not about to install X on it and deal
with switching monitors for this one issue.

Is there any program (I couldn't find one) that I can run on this
computer, via SSH, that will give me packet info I can scan in the same
way I do with Wireshark when I've got X on a system?

And if that doesn't work, is there a way to get Wireshark to read what
goes between other NICs?

The workstation is the only computer on the LAN with X, so I can't run
Wireshark on any server or firewall system.

Thanks!

Hal

Old 06-16-2008, 03:20 AM
Mike Bird

On Sun June 15 2008 20:16:19 Hal Vaughan wrote:
> Is there any program (I couldn't find one) that I can run on this
> computer, via SSH, that will give me packet info I can scan in the same
> way I do with Wireshark when I've got X on a system?

tshark can display packets in realtime or capture to a pcap file
which can be copied across the network for display in wireshark.

--Mike Bird