Old 06-15-2008, 07:59 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

Default silly little text problem

Hello all,

I've got a silly little problem that I can't seem to solve.

I normally do my letters and other writing in LaTex.

My wife has a poem she wants typed up in a particular format:

First line unindented
next four lines indented
next line unindented
next four lines indented

space

next four lines unindented.

It goes on like that.

LaTex is very difficult for this sort of thing. The only environment
that lets me get the layout right is one of the verbatim ones but then
its in Typewriter rather than another font. She may also end up wanting
in a non-Latex font like Chancery.

I don't have any gnome stuff installed and I'm on dialup. I don't want
to bring in tonnes of gnome libs just to install abiword. Kword wants
to bring in mysql-common for some silly reason.

For such one-off little things, I just need a simple document prep
system that lets me control the layout and the fonts. It does not need
to be WYSIWYG. WordPerfect 4.2 would be just fine. I don't want to
have to reinstall OS/2 on my 486 for this . Neither do I want to
install the whole OpenOffice.org stuff.

Any suggestions?

Doug.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:25 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 03:59:25PM -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> My wife has a poem she wants typed up in a particular format:
>
> First line unindented
> next four lines indented
> next line unindented
> next four lines indented
>
> space
>
> next four lines unindented.
>
> It goes on like that.
>

> For such one-off little things, I just need a simple document prep
> system that lets me control the layout and the fonts. It does not need
> to be WYSIWYG. WordPerfect 4.2 would be just fine. I don't want to
> have to reinstall OS/2 on my 486 for this . Neither do I want to
> install the whole OpenOffice.org stuff.
>
> Any suggestions?

Also, the output needs to be ps to send via apsfilter to my printer.
The printer doesn't have any decent fonts of its own so I can't just
fitz with it.

Doug.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:38 PM
Alfredo Finelli

On Sunday 15 June 2008 21:59, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've got a silly little problem that I can't seem to solve.
>
> I normally do my letters and other writing in LaTex.
>
> My wife has a poem she wants typed up in a particular format:
>
> First line unindented
> next four lines indented
> next line unindented
> next four lines indented
>
> space
>
> next four lines unindented.
>
> It goes on like that.
>
> LaTex is very difficult for this sort of thing. The only environment
> that lets me get the layout right is one of the verbatim ones but
> then its in Typewriter rather than another font. She may also end up
> wanting in a non-Latex font like Chancery.
> [...]

Hi,

I would try to use the "tabbing" environment in LaTex for this sort of
thing. For a Chancery font you may want to look here:

http://www.tug.dk/FontCatalogue/zapfchan/

Best regards.

Alfredo

Old 06-15-2008, 08:50 PM
"Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso"

On 15/06/2008, Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
> My wife has a poem she wants typed up in a particular format:
>
> First line unindented
> next four lines indented
> next line unindented

You may want to use the verse environment for this. It's in the
texlive-humanities package.

Documentation:

http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/verse/verse.pdf

Are you doing typesetting or is your wife doing it? Does she enjoy
typing in LaTeX?

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:37 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 03:50:27PM -0500, Jordi Guti?rrez Hermoso wrote:
> On 15/06/2008, Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
> > My wife has a poem she wants typed up in a particular format:
> >
> > First line unindented
> > next four lines indented
> > next line unindented
>
> You may want to use the verse environment for this. It's in the
> texlive-humanities package.
>
> Documentation:
>
> http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/verse/verse.pdf
>
> Are you doing typesetting or is your wife doing it? Does she enjoy
> typing in LaTeX?

No, its me that does the typing. She did the layout by hand and wants
it to stay the same.

I'm in Etch and don't see a texlive-humanities package, but I do see the
verse environment in texlive-latex-extra. I just read the doc and it at
least gives a clue on how to do it manually with inserting space for the
indent: a little tedious and I'll see if it can be improved.

I wonder why I can't find that verse.pdf file with texdoctk? It doesn't
even show if I click on search and enter verse.

Thanks for the pointer.

Doug.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:29 AM
Raj Kiran Grandhi

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

My wife has a poem she wants typed up in a particular format:

First line unindented
next four lines indented
next line unindented

You may want to use the verse environment for this. It's in the
texlive-humanities package.

Documentation:

http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/verse/verse.pdf

Are you doing typesetting or is your wife doing it? Does she enjoy
typing in LaTeX?

No, its me that does the typing. She did the layout by hand and wants
it to stay the same.

I'm in Etch and don't see a texlive-humanities package, but I do see the
verse environment in texlive-latex-extra.

texlive-humanities is in lenny and sid. Probably some shuffling around
of latex packages. You should be able to get it from ctan if it is not
there in the package.

I just read the doc and it at
least gives a clue on how to do it manually with inserting space for the
indent: a little tedious and I'll see if it can be improved.

The verse.pdf file (link below) says that it is possible to achieve
indentation of even numbered lines using the `altverse' environment
within the verse environment.

I wonder why I can't find that verse.pdf file with texdoctk? It doesn't
even show if I click on search and enter verse.

I think the pdf may be there in the texlive-latex-extra-doc package.
Here is a ctan link to the file.

http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/verse/verse.pdf

Thanks for the pointer.

Doug.

-- Albert Einstein

Old 06-16-2008, 08:53 AM
Chris Bannister

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 12:46:07AM -0500, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> ~ is an easy-to-remember way to force output of a blank line.

And saves a line in the source.

> It is good to know alternative commands, because in some situations
> one command works while another command doesn't, and the reason why
> one works and other doesn't is not always apparent.

Yeah,
ewline sometimes doesn't work unless the previous line ends with

> The command
ewline is identical to the command without the
> optional space parameter. The syntax of the command is:

I didn't find it was identical, on its own on a line would not cause
a blank line. Then again maybe the previous line didn't end in .

> [space]
>
> *[space]
>
> in which the parameter space is the amount of vertical space inserted
> between the lines. The *-form prevents a pagebreak between the lines.

So space is a variable? Integer or float?

> I learned of the command from my "bible" for LaTeX, which is:
>
> A Guide to LaTeX
> Helmut Kopka & Patrick W. Daly
> Third Edition
> Addison-Wesley
> ISBN 0-201-39825-7

Ahh, Douglas's favourite book. For a scathing review:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201398257/qid=931159822/sr=1-1/002-7129288-5319829

There are good ones of course. :-)

--
Chris.
======

Old 06-16-2008, 12:59 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 07:59:53AM +0530, Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
> Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

> >>You may want to use the verse environment for this. It's in the
> >>texlive-humanities package.

> >I wonder why I can't find that verse.pdf file with texdoctk? It doesn't
> >even show if I click on search and enter verse.
>
> I think the pdf may be there in the texlive-latex-extra-doc package.
> Here is a ctan link to the file.
>
> http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/verse/verse.pdf
>
> >Thanks for the pointer.

I found it and it did work, especially the little trick of adding an
/attrib and the poemtitle made it look well done.

I had tried the /indent thingy but couldn't get it to work; didn't
remember the // thingy.

Yes I need to get a good book; all I have is the stuff in the packages.

I'm making up a file that contains the descriptions from all the texlive
packages from dpkg (get the listing with aptitude, clean it up to just
the package names, then pipe it through xargs to dpkg -p) so that I can
find out if I have a package already, then go looking for the docs. It
seems that there's a few missing from the texdoctk/texdoc database.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Doug.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:02 AM
"Marcos José Sant'Anna Magalhães"

just letting people know ...

i exported a pdf (indented as you asked) from OpenOffice and called pdf2ps ... I think it does what you want

Marcos