Old 06-15-2008, 04:07 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

Default Asus P5E-VM DO Motherboard Network Driver Availiable? Hardware compatibility with Debian?

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 09:45:30PM -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 12:08:06AM +0300, Odisseas-Nearxos Pasipoularidis wrote:
> > I own a PC with an Asus P5E-VM DO Motherboard and I am trying to install
> > Debian OS on it.
> >
> > I can't find the driver to configure the Ethernet Network port. I need it so
> > I can continue the OS installation over the Internet and be able to use
> > Internet later on.
> >
> > Is there a driver appropriate? If yes, can you help me by providing it?
> >

> What version of Debian are you trying to install? Etch may not have the
> driver; try installing Lenny or Sid. I don't think there's a way to add
> a driver during the install: this isn't microsoft.

just for the record, though I've never done it, I think you *can*
insert a driver, possibly into the install image, even. As I see it,
you could do one of three things:

1) get a copy of the driver and stick it on a floppy or flashcard
etc. During the install switch to a different VT and modprobe the
module from there.

2) mount the .iso and copy the file into the directory tree there

3) extract the entire directory structure from the iso. Make any
changes, and rebuild the iso.

as I said, I've done none of these things myself, so caveat...