Old 06-15-2008, 02:57 PM
T o n g

Default Error on read from talk daemon: Connection refused

Hi,

I'm trying to enable the 'talk' in my Debian testing:

% aptitude install talk talkd
inetutils-inetd talk talkd
0 packages upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove.
Need to get 120kB of archives. After unpacking 291kB will be used.

Then, I can see that inetutils-inetd is running fine:

$ ps -eaf | grep [i]net
root 18129 1 0 10:48 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/inetutils-inetd

but still, when I use talk as me or root, I get:

Error on read from talk daemon: Connection refused

While trying to fix the problem myself, I found that both talk and ntalk
service are enabled by default. So I disabled talk and left only ntalk
enabled:

$ grep talk /etc/inetd.conf
#:BSD: Shell, login, exec and talk are BSD protocols.
#talk dgram udp wait nobody.tty /usr/sbin/in.talkd in.talkd
ntalk dgram udp wait nobody.tty /usr/sbin/in.ntalkd in.ntalkd

Then,

killall -1 inetutils-inetd
/etc/init.d/inetutils-inetd restart

but still, I can't use talk. Same error.

Could anybody help me to fix it?

Thanks

$ apt-cache policy talk
talk: