-   -   Recover lost (deleted) data in Debian (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/107116-recover-lost-deleted-data-debian.html)

hce 06-15-2008 12:04 PM

Recover lost (deleted) data in Debian

Hi,

It was my dooms day, I accedently deleted all my mutt emails by "rm
-rf *" in my local harddisk (all my mutt emails were downloaded by
POP). Is there anyway to recover from deleted data in Debian?

Thank you.

Jim

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI 06-15-2008 12:39 PM

Quoting hce <webmail.hce@gmail.com>:

Hi,

It was my dooms day, I accedently deleted all my mutt emails by "rm
-rf *" in my local harddisk (all my mutt emails were downloaded by
POP). Is there anyway to recover from deleted data in Debian?

Take a look at http://www.xs4all.nl/~carlo17/howto/undelete_ext3.html
. You might be able to restore some things, but there is not guarantee.

If you haven't done that already, stop using the partition in which
the files were, to reduce the chances that the data you need will be
overwritten.

--
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br

Volkan YAZICI 06-15-2008 12:42 PM

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008, hce <webmail.hce@gmail.com> writes:
> It was my dooms day, I accedently deleted all my mutt emails by "rm
> -rf *" in my local harddisk (all my mutt emails were downloaded by
> POP). Is there anyway to recover from deleted data in Debian?

There are various ways depending on your filesystem. While google'ing
will turn you a bunch of answers, you can prefer using "Undelete"
functionality supplied with "mc" package for a quick start.

Regards.

Paul Johnson 06-16-2008 06:13 PM

On Sun, 2008-06-15 at 22:04 +1000, hce wrote:

> It was my dooms day, I accedently deleted all my mutt emails by "rm
> -rf *" in my local harddisk (all my mutt emails were downloaded by
> POP). Is there anyway to recover from deleted data in Debian?

Copy it back over from your latest backup.

Though, this would require that you are already making backups. If
you're not, consider this a lesson about why you should, go get yourself
a big, external firewire drive (and a compatible controller if your
machine doesn't support firewire yet) and check out the faubackup
package.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca

Paul Cartwright 06-16-2008 07:08 PM

On Mon June 16 2008, Paul Johnson wrote:
> Copy it back over from your latest backup.
>
> Though, this would require that you are already making backups. *If
> you're not, consider this a lesson about why you should, go get yourself
> a big, external firewire drive (and a compatible controller if your
> machine doesn't support firewire yet) and check out the faubackup
> package.

ok, so my Mybook backup is a few months old.. I was using an rsync command
line to backup my desktop.
never heard of faubackup before!
# faubackup /home /media/disk ( the Mybook 750Gb.. external USB HD)

lets see how long it takes..

yeah, but this was also too late for me:) I uh, managed to wipe out my wifes
entire Mail folder ( kmail)... ran some stupid command that was supposed to
do a maildir2mbox conversion. Well, it sorta did, but only the top level
folders, and it wiped out the entire folders email, including sub folders..
and the mbox files were not in subfolder format...
SOOOooo, I had to do a quick mbox2maildir, humbly apologizing that I'll make
backups more often:) at least before I do anything stupid..

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

Paul Johnson 06-16-2008 08:12 PM

On Mon, 2008-06-16 at 15:08 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Mon June 16 2008, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > Copy it back over from your latest backup.
> >
> > Though, this would require that you are already making backups. If
> > you're not, consider this a lesson about why you should, go get yourself
> > a big, external firewire drive (and a compatible controller if your
> > machine doesn't support firewire yet) and check out the faubackup
> > package.
>
> ok, so my Mybook backup is a few months old.. I was using an rsync command
> line to backup my desktop.
> never heard of faubackup before!
> # faubackup /home /media/disk ( the Mybook 750Gb.. external USB HD)
>
> lets see how long it takes..
>
> yeah, but this was also too late for me:) I uh, managed to wipe out my wifes
> entire Mail folder ( kmail)... ran some stupid command that was supposed to
> do a maildir2mbox conversion. Well, it sorta did, but only the top level
> folders, and it wiped out the entire folders email, including sub folders..
> and the mbox files were not in subfolder format...
> SOOOooo, I had to do a quick mbox2maildir, humbly apologizing that I'll make
> backups more often:) at least before I do anything stupid..

Faubackup is intended to run as a cron.daily script: Make
sure /etc/faubackup.conf is sane before that runs next, as it does NOT
make sure that there's a filesystem mounted at that mountpoint before
continuting. If you don't either disable faubackup's cronjob or ensure
your backup filesystem is going to be there when faubackup runs, it'll
run nightly.

I have a disk a little over twice the size of the filesystems on
ursa-major (set up as an LVM so I can expand it later when I get another
disk) mounted as /media/backup and point faubackup that way,
occasionally tweaking the retention times if I notice it's getting tight
on space.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca

Håkon Alstadheim 06-16-2008 08:37 PM

Paul Cartwright wrote:

[...]

Before I run "for d in * ; do mumble $d && rm -rf $d;done" I always
stick an "echo" in there, so I can se that it will do the right thing.
Then I hit up-arrow, appropriate number of ^b and ^d to get rid of the echo.

--
Håkon Alstadheim

Ron Johnson 06-16-2008 08:59 PM

Recover lost (deleted) data in Debian

Paul Cartwright 06-16-2008 09:12 PM

Recover lost (deleted) data in Debian

On Mon June 16 2008, Paul Johnson wrote:
> Faubackup is intended to run as a cron.daily script: *Make
> sure /etc/faubackup.conf is sane before that runs next, as it does NOT
> make sure that there's a filesystem mounted at that mountpoint before
> continuting. *If you don't either disable faubackup's cronjob or ensure
> your backup filesystem is going to be there when faubackup runs, it'll
> run nightly.

thanks for the heads-up. Since mt backup external drive is NOT always plugged
in, I will disable that cron job.

Paul Johnson 06-16-2008 09:20 PM

On Mon, 2008-06-16 at 17:12 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Mon June 16 2008, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > Faubackup is intended to run as a cron.daily script: Make
> > sure /etc/faubackup.conf is sane before that runs next, as it does NOT
> > make sure that there's a filesystem mounted at that mountpoint before
> > continuting. If you don't either disable faubackup's cronjob or ensure
> > your backup filesystem is going to be there when faubackup runs, it'll
> > run nightly.
>
> thanks for the heads-up. Since mt backup external drive is NOT always plugged
> in, I will disable that cron job.

I strongly suggest either plugging it in and using the cron job, or
change the cron job to check for the mounted filesystem. The
"always-plugged-in" option is a bit cleaner and easier: No human
intervention required for daily incremental backup.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca