Old 06-16-2008, 10:38 PM
Paul Cartwright

Default Recover lost (deleted) data in Debian

On Mon June 16 2008, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > thanks for the heads-up. Since mt backup external drive is NOT always
> > plugged in, I will disable that cron job.
>
> I strongly suggest either plugging it in and using the cron job, or
> change the cron job to check for the mounted filesystem. *The
> "always-plugged-in" option is a bit cleaner and easier: *No human
> intervention required for daily incremental backup.

ok, I'm not that good..
so... I crontab -l as me and root, and I don't see any faubackup script.. I
guess it wasn't created.
# dpkg -l faubackup*
| Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Description
ii faubackup 0.5.9 Backup System using a Filesystem for Storage

so it is installed.. now trying to figure out /etc/faubackup.conf ...

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

Old 06-16-2008, 10:47 PM
Paul Johnson

On Mon, 2008-06-16 at 18:38 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Mon June 16 2008, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > > thanks for the heads-up. Since mt backup external drive is NOT always
> > > plugged in, I will disable that cron job.
> >
> > I strongly suggest either plugging it in and using the cron job, or
> > change the cron job to check for the mounted filesystem. The
> > "always-plugged-in" option is a bit cleaner and easier: No human
> > intervention required for daily incremental backup.
>
> ok, I'm not that good..
> so... I crontab -l as me and root, and I don't see any faubackup script.. I
> guess it wasn't created.

I'd be amazed if that is actually the case: The cron job is included in
the package itself.

baloo@ursa-major:~$ dpkg -L faubackup | grep cron
/etc/cron.daily
/etc/cron.daily/faubackup

> so it is installed.. now trying to figure out /etc/faubackup.conf ...

Basically, the important parts to look at are the $backup and
$keep(years|months|weeks|days) variables.

$backup is the path to your backup filesystem, which must be mounted
prior to faubackup's execution.

$keep.* is how soon you want old incremental backups reaped.

Basically, the way faubackup works is, the first time it is run, it
copies everything you tell it to over to the backup filesystem. On each
subsequent execution, it compares the most recent version it has to the
version to be backed up, and if the contents are the same, simply
creates a new hard link to the existing data to save space.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca

Old 06-17-2008, 12:01 PM
Paul Cartwright

On Mon June 16 2008, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > so... I crontab -l as me and root, and I don't see any faubackup script..
> > I guess it wasn't created.
>
> I'd be amazed if that is actually the case: *The cron job is included in
> the package itself.
>
> baloo@ursa-major:~$ dpkg -L faubackup | grep cron
> /etc/cron.daily
> /etc/cron.daily/faubackup

you are absolutely correct. My old-style knowledge of cron says to run
crontab -l ( ell) to see what is running..
I always wondered what happened to rkhunter cron, now I know!
so with faubackup, it looks like everything in the file is commented out, and
you have to add folders/partitions/whatever to make it start. I may have to
rethink my backup plan. I may move the script to cron.weekly and plug the
drive in every weekend..
thanks for the info!