Old 06-15-2008, 06:47 AM
Paul Csanyi

Default aptitude purge flashplugin-nonfree hang

Hello!

My System is Debian GNU/Linux Etch and Half.

I have installed flashplugin-nonfree and it works well with iceweasel
so far.

Then I edit /apt/sources.list
--->
deb http://www.backports.org/debian etch-backports main contrib non-free
---<

and setup apt to can use deb packages from Debian Backports.

I edit the /apt/preferences file:
--->
Package: *
Pin: release a=etch-backports
Pin-Priority: 200
--<

Then I made an upgrade and I think then was upgraded
flashplugin-nonfree too.

Now I have flashplugin-nonfree version 1:1.4~bpo40+1.

The iceweasel crash when I try to open a webpage:
http://www.hobbielektronika.hu/cikkek/nullarol_a_robotokig_-_pic_mikrovezerlok_i_resz.html?pg=1&Submit=%3E%3E

That was yesterday. Today iceweasel can't open at all this web page.

I can't to purge nor remove flashplugin-nonfree with aptitude.

Aptitude hangs at this task.

What can I do to solve this problem?

Any advices will be appreciated!

--
Regards, Paul Csanyi

Old 06-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 08:47:10AM +0200, Paul Csanyi wrote:
> Hello!
>
> My System is Debian GNU/Linux Etch and Half.
>
> I have installed flashplugin-nonfree and it works well with iceweasel
> so far.

> I can't to purge nor remove flashplugin-nonfree with aptitude.
>
> Aptitude hangs at this task.
>
> What can I do to solve this problem?
>
> Any advices will be appreciated!

Paul , please provide details of what happens when you attempt to
remove aptitude. Preferably, copy and paste the console output
including the initial command line used.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:08 PM
"Oleg Batrashev"

Hi,

I've already answered in private but forgot to click "reply all"
instead of "reply".

>> I can't to purge nor remove flashplugin-nonfree with aptitude.
> Paul , please provide details of what happens when you attempt to
> remove aptitude. Preferably, copy and paste the console output
> including the initial command line used.

I had the same problem. It is because people.debian.org was not
accessible but now it works. There was no meaningful output, just some
message about the start of installation.
The output of "ps -efHww" that was during the hang is in the attachment.

Oleg

root 18381 4166 0 Jun14 tty1 00:00:05 aptitude
root 21769 18381 0 10:10 pts/1 00:00:00 /usr/bin/dpkg --status-fd 59 --force-depends --force-remove-essential --remove flashplugin-nonfree
root 21770 21769 0 10:10 pts/1 00:00:00 /bin/sh /var/lib/dpkg/info/flashplugin-nonfree.prerm remove
root 21771 21770 0 10:10 pts/1 00:00:00 /bin/sh /usr/sbin/update-flashplugin-nonfree --uninstall
root 21778 21771 0 10:10 pts/1 00:00:00 sh flashplugin-nonfree-get-lastminute
root 21782 21778 0 10:10 pts/1 00:00:00 wget -q -P . http://people.debian.org/~bartm/flashplugin-nonfree/flashplugin-nonfree-lastminute.gz.asc

Old 06-16-2008, 11:25 AM
Paul Csanyi

Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> writes:

> On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 08:47:10AM +0200, Paul Csanyi wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> My System is Debian GNU/Linux Etch and Half.
>>
>> I have installed flashplugin-nonfree and it works well with iceweasel
>> so far.

>> I can't to purge nor remove flashplugin-nonfree with aptitude.
>>
>> Aptitude hangs at this task.
>>
>> What can I do to solve this problem?
>>
>> Any advices will be appreciated!
>
> Paul , please provide details of what happens when you attempt to
> remove aptitude. Preferably, copy and paste the console output
> including the initial command line used.

$ sudo aptitude remove aptitude

give to me an error message about that that tasksel is a broken
package.

After I remove aptitude and tasksel and install these again (with
apt-get), I can to remove flashplugin-nonfree and install it again.

Now iceweasel works fine.

--
Regards, Paul Csanyi

Old 06-16-2008, 07:43 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

THis got moved off-list accidently... summarizing below for posterity

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 01:25:10PM +0200, Paul Csanyi wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> writes:
>
> > On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 08:47:10AM +0200, Paul Csanyi wrote:
> >> Hello!
> >>
> >> My System is Debian GNU/Linux Etch and Half.
> >>
> >> I have installed flashplugin-nonfree and it works well with iceweasel
> >> so far.

> >> I can't to purge nor remove flashplugin-nonfree with aptitude.
> >>
> >> Aptitude hangs at this task.
> >>
> >> What can I do to solve this problem?
> >>
> >> Any advices will be appreciated!
> >
> > Paul , please provide details of what happens when you attempt to
> > remove aptitude. Preferably, copy and paste the console output
> > including the initial command line used.
>
> $ sudo aptitude remove aptitude
>
> give to me an error message about that that tasksel is a broken
> package.

I so totally didn't mean to remove aptitude. I meant to post the exact
command and output of the purge command. d'oh.

> After I remove aptitude and tasksel and install these again (with
> apt-get), I can to remove flashplugin-nonfree and install it again.
>
> Now iceweasel works fine.

alls well that ends well.